Canadian spellings

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 8th, 2010, 10:20 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok, this is going to make me sound like a huge dork, but I'm a reporter/editor so spelling is kind of a weird thing for me

I just have to say for the American moms, please don't think us Canadians are mis-spelling things like labour, colour, flavour, etc.

The correct spelling in Canada is with the 'u'... every time I spell one of those words on here, I think "oh geesh, everyone's going to think I'm spelling it wrong" so sometimes I just do it the american way.

Ok, end of spelling clarification!

March 8th, 2010, 10:22 PM
3xCrazy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
yeah thats how aussies spell it as well

March 8th, 2010, 10:23 PM
cherry08's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Christina A~ View Post
Ok, this is going to make me sound like a huge dork, but I'm a reporter/editor so spelling is kind of a weird thing for me

I just have to say for the American moms, please don't think us Canadians are mis-spelling things like labour, colour, flavour, etc.

The correct spelling in Canada is with the 'u'... every time I spell one of those words on here, I think "oh geesh, everyone's going to think I'm spelling it wrong" so sometimes I just do it the american way.

Ok, end of spelling clarification!
LOL!!! I always think the same thing

March 8th, 2010, 10:48 PM
SpydrMnky27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Haha! Thanks for clearing that up! I like the way it looks with the u.
March 9th, 2010, 02:25 AM
shannonranee
I dont think anything of it. I have seen americans spell things wrong on purpose. Which actually drives me nuts (not your spellings but like the car wash place back home is called Kar Kare) because then they wonder why kids cant spell.
March 9th, 2010, 03:45 AM
LisaB's Avatar Mom to twins + 1
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaB
Haha, I'm the same way about spelling - it drives me crazy when I see something spelled incorrectly, I don't know why.

However, my dad is from Hong Kong (which was a British crown colony) so I grew up seeing lots of words spelled with the extra "u", it doesn't bother me at all.

I hate the "Kar Kare" American thing too.

Me: Lisa, Mommy to twins +1
8/5/08 Beautiful twin girls Leigh and Lucy born after 4-year struggle with RPL & 6 losses
12/10/09 Surprise! Baby #3 is on the way, EDD 6/22/10

12/29/09 2nd ultrasound - joining team blue

6/16/10 Baby Ben is born!

March 9th, 2010, 03:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks Christina! I often consider leaving the U out, but I just can't do it!

March 9th, 2010, 06:17 AM
ipsa's Avatar Mommy Times Two
As an English teacher there are a lot of spelling and grammar mistakes out there (and on the JM boards) that really bug me. I don't say anything because even though it really grates on my nerves, I know that it's not my place to police everyone's grammar and spelling. I'm capable of the occasional typo just like everyone else. I just hate when people completely forget to use any punctuation at all. But this isn't a thread for me to get on my soapbox...

I understand the cultural difference in spelling, and I'd like to think that most if not all of the other American ladies do as well. So don't be paranoid.

Worry about your grammar instead. (Just kidding. Sort of. I really am one of those "grammar nazi" people. And now I am afraid that everyone will think differently about ME when they type posts. Crap. Dug myself a hole. *sigh*)

thanks to Jenn for this beautiful siggy

[/url]
March 9th, 2010, 06:23 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As long as nobody spells probably prolly I am generally cool with it. But the different spellings don't bother me. Because they are just that different spellings of the same word, and both are correct.

March 9th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Oreobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Oreobaby
I always spell things the american way...even though I'm not american...well Color is always Color...Flavor too...labour I do with a U though...I guess I'm just weird. LOL

March 9th, 2010, 07:24 AM
LM1385's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've wondered the same thing! But I can't bring myself to not use the 'u' because it's just not the way I know it, lol. I'm typically a grammar nazi, too (mostly spelling), but I've relaxed since using forums. As long as it makes sense I don't care as much anymore. I still notice errors on signs and stuff, though, lol.

March 9th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I try to use the American spelling when I'm on message boards or emailing someone I know in the States, so that people won't think I'm spelling the words wrong. Maybe I should stick to my Canadian roots.
March 9th, 2010, 07:38 AM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LOL, I notice but I also know the reason behind it, so I've never even though of anyone having to explain it.
March 9th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm Australian and I just stick with the English spelling same with pronunciation one guy yesterday wanted me to say tomato over and over LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search