Breastpumps...anyone ever heard this?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 10th, 2010, 03:24 PM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was going to take my SIL's breastpump, she has a Medela.....but I just found a statement issued by both the makers of Medela and Avent that warn people from using a used breastpump because they are considered single user items and the diaphram can store milk remains from the previous user and contaminate the milk you pump.

It did say that there are pumps available that come with personal cleaning units and these are okay for multiple users (these are usually rentals). But both companies strongly discourage the sharing of pumps that don't have personal cleaning kits.

Now, the more I think about it....I think I'm going to just buy my own.
March 10th, 2010, 03:36 PM
shannonranee
Yes I have heard that. generally if you get a pump from someone else you should replace a bunch of the parts before you use it.
March 10th, 2010, 03:37 PM
MomTo3LittleBoys's Avatar Love my house of boys!
Yes, thats true...So I would just buy one!
DS3- Born 11/4/14
March 10th, 2010, 03:43 PM
SpydrMnky27's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have heard that before.
March 10th, 2010, 03:47 PM
LM1385's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't want a used one, even if it was from family.

March 10th, 2010, 03:57 PM
kellysensei's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I recently heard that. A coworker was going to give me hers, but I think we'll just buy our own now.

Evan James (2/18/12) and Gabriel Anthony (6/5/10)

March 10th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
yep. I personally could never buy a used pump, nor could I use one that someone else had used.
March 10th, 2010, 04:30 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
But... all the parts that the milk goes through aren't inside the pump mechanism... just in the tubing and the container, which can be sterilized. If contamination was an issue, then it would be dangerous for a person to only use their own later (ie. with a later baby) because the milk would be cross-contaminating in that case too after it had been sitting for however long.

Hmm... maybe I can't picture the Medela one properly but it seems to me like the engine of the pump doesn't have any exposure to milk at all? And the tubing can all be sterilized. If the tubing couldn't be sterilized, then you'd constantly be risking getting old milk residue in the new?

March 10th, 2010, 04:43 PM
LM1385's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not really sure how all this works either. But that's why I'm going with the Ameda. Apparently Medela is an 'open' system so milk can get into the pump part. The Ameda I'm looking at is a 'closed' system, so it can't.

Here's an article I found:
LLLI | LV Are Used Breast Pumps a Good Option?

March 10th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
Yes, I've heard that. I went ahead and bought mine (Medela) from Babies R Us with a 20% off coupon I had.

March 10th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Christina A~ View Post

Hmm... maybe I can't picture the Medela one properly but it seems to me like the engine of the pump doesn't have any exposure to milk at all? And the tubing can all be sterilized. If the tubing couldn't be sterilized, then you'd constantly be risking getting old milk residue in the new?
I've been looking into it more and Medela makes 3 hospital grade ones that have personal cleaning kits and are suitable for multiple users. The warning from Medela specifically states the diaphram not being cleanable and can store old milk.

When I googled it, there were different articles talking about yeast growing and causing candida as well as viruses being housed in the milk. And there was something about open parts....and milk leaking into areas, but I'd have to go back and find those articles.

Now there doesn't seem to be much documentation of babies getting sick from a shared pump, but I don't think I'm willing to chance it. To me it's like someone putting food in front of me and saying "you have a 50/50 chance of getting sick"....I definitely wouldn't eat it.

I had just never heard of this and came across it today when reading about breastpumps. I am surprised that so many of you knew this information.
March 10th, 2010, 06:06 PM
momtothe3rdpower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a used pump from Medela, used it for DD as well, did replace all the parts that get "milked", not too worried about this info....It might help I know the girl who used the pump before is a normal, healthy, woman, ect.....? I hate to be careless, and I prefer new, but $250 is just too much to justify, considering the root of this info is a company that loses money when women "share".
March 10th, 2010, 06:18 PM
The information is also available on the FDA website: Choosing a Breast Pump

It does seem to be supported throughout other sites not related to the actual companies.

Last edited by MommaLee; March 10th, 2010 at 06:21 PM.
March 10th, 2010, 06:48 PM
momtothe3rdpower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok, that was scary! Bad thing to read!!
March 10th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Veteran
Well, I need to chime in because I sold Medela breastpumps for 11 years. I will agree that the chances of anything bad happening healthwise are probably minimal. There are small risks of disease transmission...hepatitis and things like that. But on top of that, these pumps only have a certain lifespan to the motors. I cannot tell you how many times a woman would buy some parts from me like tubing and breastshields so that she could use a shared pump...THEN several months later she'd be back to BUY a new pump because the other one wore out. It just leaves me wondering why it is worth it to take a pump that might be starting to outlive its usefulness and maybe not be working efficiently. I'd buy a used stroller, swing, high chair, even used clothes, but I would NOT buy a used crib, carseat OR breastpump. It's just not worth it. But I know it is done all the time. Again, chances of any actual harm probably are pretty remote, but just not worth it to me.
March 10th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Gaby&Emmy'sMama's Avatar aka NZ-Emma
For me personally, I can't afford to buy a brand new pump, so am going second hand... I'm going to steralise it & do what I can to make sure it's clean before I use it. At this stage though, I am leading an auction for a brand new pump that's never been used (or opened) & so far it's at $1.00. It's 130.00 brand new, so am hoping I get this one! I WOULD prefer a new one, so I dunno, if Jason says he wants to buy something, this may be what i tell him to buy.... I've bought everything else, so I think it's only fair

March 10th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Christina A~ View Post
But... all the parts that the milk goes through aren't inside the pump mechanism... just in the tubing and the container, which can be sterilized. If contamination was an issue, then it would be dangerous for a person to only use their own later (ie. with a later baby) because the milk would be cross-contaminating in that case too after it had been sitting for however long.

I have a Medela Pump In Style Advanced, it is VERY easy for milk to get into the motor. All it takes is for the bottles to overflow and milk backs up into the tubing and from the tubing it goes to the motor.

If anyone does buy a used pump I STRONGLY recommend ALL new parts including tubing.

FWIW you can get mastitis if the prior pump user had it and got milk into the motor.
March 10th, 2010, 10:15 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, good to know! Thanks ladies...

I will need to buy one (the one I had for DS was an Avent, and it was part of the big BPA recall in Canada so it went back to the store and by then I wasn't pumping anymore) ... I probaby owuldn't have gotten a second-hand one, but now that I've seen this info, I'll definitely go for new!

March 11th, 2010, 01:35 AM
Ana32's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've heard it too! I have the Avent breastpump I used with Keona (was new that time) and I think I'll reuse it again.

Keona Chloe & Jon

March 11th, 2010, 06:32 AM
CandaceDianne's Avatar Lilyan's Mommy
Unless my DH gets a job, we will be using my SILs pump. Granted, she didn't use it for a whole heck of a long time (maybe a month?). I will do whatever it takes to make it safe, but we just can't go out and drop $200+ on a single item right now.

Born June 5, 2010
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search