Daycare question

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 11th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Veteran
My husband and I wanted to start to look at daycares, since I hear that most in our area have a long waiting list. People have been telling me two things. #1: Make an appointment to tour the daycare and meet with the director/owner. And #2: Just walk in unannounced because then you can see how the daycare is really run without the people working there acting differently or cleaning up before you come.

Does anyone have any idea which we should do?

Any help would be appreciated...thanks!

March 11th, 2010, 08:46 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When we were looking for daycare with Sydney we made appointments, mostly because before I went in I wanted to be sure they even had a spot avail. I think you can do it either way. DH and I show up there now unannounced sometimes due to schedule changes, appointments etc and they are fine with that and I have never had an issue with our daycare (knocking wood!!) Good luck!
March 11th, 2010, 08:46 AM
StarrMom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When we visited daycares we just walked in. We didn't have any trouble finding someone to meet with us. I would just try to avoid the main lunch hours, if possible.

Hope you find one you like!
March 11th, 2010, 09:10 AM
LM1385's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think I'd make an appointment. You don't want to waste your time and I doubt they would go to any great lengths to 'cover up' anything.

March 11th, 2010, 09:25 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would do both. That way you know how clean that it should be and then drop in and you will figure how clean it is on a normal everyday basis. I found one that I just loved but when I dropped by just to see what was going on the lady that ran the place had left the kids to their own devices and was outside smoking.

March 11th, 2010, 09:40 AM
LM1385's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitabout View Post
I would do both. That way you know how clean that it should be and then drop in and you will figure how clean it is on a normal everyday basis. I found one that I just loved but when I dropped by just to see what was going on the lady that ran the place had left the kids to their own devices and was outside smoking.
Hmm that is a good point.

March 11th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Veteran
Thanks everyone for your advice!

March 11th, 2010, 11:04 AM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I called around to check prices and availability and all of them told me I could stop by anytime. I ended up putting my name on a wait list....I was #7 (the center keeps 8 infants) and I found out the other day I just made the cut got a spot after talking to the director. I would definitely start looking around especially if there is a wait.
March 11th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here we have to make appointments. The daycares in our area are actually locked and you have to have a code to get into the building or ring the bell and wait for them to let you in and ask a million questions
DH and i aren't putting Harleigh in day care until she is at least a year old. IDK what we will do till then but he isnt comfortable with it and watching my sister have issued with her youngest, we are just being cautious.
March 11th, 2010, 04:15 PM
kellysensei's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride_or_die View Post
DH and i aren't putting Harleigh in day care until she is at least a year old. IDK what we will do till then but he isnt comfortable with it and watching my sister have issued with her youngest, we are just being cautious.
I'd rather avoid day care until then, too, but DH and I both have very small families and everyone either works or is too far away. So we have no choice. Do you have family that can watch her? You're lucky...

Evan James (2/18/12) and Gabriel Anthony (6/5/10)

March 11th, 2010, 05:14 PM
shannonranee
I am just going to be a SAHM. Dh wanted me to go back to work to help out but when we figured it out the pay in the area is so low but day care is so expensive - so after taxes, daycare, gas for the car, disposable diapers (instead of cloth), lunches for work I would literally only be bringing home about $25 a week - so not worth it. I would like to find something I could do from home but no luck.
March 11th, 2010, 05:44 PM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride_or_die View Post
Here we have to make appointments. The daycares in our area are actually locked and you have to have a code to get into the building or ring the bell and wait for them to let you in and ask a million questions

I just wanted to mention, that Syd didn't start daycare until 13 months, we had a nanny until then. It was expensive but it worked great! so that is always an option. however the transition to daycare at 13mo was HARD at that age, lots of crying all around this time Evan will have to start at 6weeks, we can't afford a nanny and daycare and I don't want to take Syd out of daycare now because she loves it....sorry to threadjack, I am done LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search