BTDT mommies advice to 1st timers on registries..

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2010, 01:59 PM
klsfl10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This may have been asked before but I can't find it... Do any BTDT mommies have advice on registry items? Like items that you wouldn't think you would use but end up being indispensable, or brands to stay away from because the bottles leak, the warmers don't warm, etc.

March 21st, 2010, 02:39 PM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
There is so much to think about...

I am going to start a list, but may get sidetracked by a busy 2yr old and have to come back:

Clothes:
I didn't register for many clothes b/c I knew people would be buying what they wanted. Plus I had NOTHING and needed the essentials first. But when registering I would remember these items:
Swaddler - especially since we having babies in fall and winter. These babies need to be warm to sleep! I registered for 4 and made my own.
socks - they go through so many socks!
hats -cold weather approaching ya know
packs of 3-6 long sleeved onesies
my sons didn't have shoes until 6 mo - but he was a summer baby

Bedding
depending about childcare - 4-5 crib sheets
waterproof mattress cover
as many blankets as you want
mobile
bedding usually comes with a sheet, skirt, blanket and bumper pad (some people don't use this for safety reason. DS still has his on his bed)

Changing table stuff:
2-3 changing pad covers
2-3 changing pad liners (to go on top)
NB, 1 and 2 size diapers
Buttpaste, Destin, etc
wipes wipes wipes!
wipe warmer (I didn't get one and wish I did - those wipes are cold on their tush and my DS still whines when I put a cold wipe on him)
Something to hold the diapers
Diaper champ - and keep the extras you receive - we've gone through 2 because they are stinky.

Bathroom stuff
I wouldn't register for a lot of soap b/c your LO might need special stuff. We had to exchanged all our Johnson's b/c DS broke out in a rash
bathtub
limited bath toys - they won't get to them until after a year, but still good to have

Extras
play/activity mat
Musical CDs for night time and playtime
rattles
linking toys
books!

Feeding
This depends on if you plan on BF - I am going to tell you what I registered for as a BF momms
pump (if you don't have one) and get a GOOD one. It matters
milk storage bags
I would also not register for too many 4oz bottles - they go through these very quickly
Bottles in general are hard b/c your LO might reject some. We just registered for one brand and one set. Once he rejected those we found some he liked. He drank out of the playtex drop in bottles.
playtex liners (if you get those)
hooter hider
breast pads
lanolin cream (even though APNO by Jack Newman works better. It is prescription)
boppy with additional cover

Even though they won't use these until 9 mo-1yr go ahead and register for a sippy cup with a soft spout to start using at 9mo.
self feed snack cup
divided plate
one set of spoon/fork
small containers to carry snacks when solids are started

Furniture
Of course you'll need to big furniture if you are planning a nursery - crib, changer, drawers, glider (couldn't live without this!), bookshelf
Baby swing (didn't use it very long but DS liked it)
Pack-in-play with changing table - we have 2 stories in our house so this was a lifesaver for changing diapers and downstairs napping
Baby walker
Exerasaucer

Alright - Max and Ruby just finished so I have to go. Other things are personal preference. The stroller/car seat situation is just what you want and how you travel with baby. Everyone is different!

When I have time I'll add more.

March 21st, 2010, 03:17 PM
Veteran
I have a few things that might help:

Monitors that have 2 receivers - so 1 for the baby's room - and the other 2 for your bedroom and perhaps the kitchen.

I haven't used them myself - but I hear that the Playtex VentAire bottles are a mess. Leaking, etc.

I recommend registering for clothing in sizes 3-6 months and 6-9 as well - alot of people with give you the 0-3 - but then when that time period is over you are left with no new clothes!

I personally love my Boppy pillow. Its a godsend for a myriad of reasons - breastfeeding, a support pillow for the baby when they are sitting up - I also used it as pillow for Linc (when he was older) - he would curl right up on it.

Onesies are AWESOME!

And those "gowns" - trust me - even if you have a baby boy - these nighttime gowns are WONDERFUL when you have to change the baby at 3 in the morning. Just pull it up - unsnap the onesie - change the diaper - snap the onesie - pull the gown down and VOILA - your set!

OOOOH - almost forgot! A SLEEP SACK! I'm a big advocate of not doing lots of blankies in the crib. So a sleep sack is perfect!

I also loved my bottle warmer - it was perfect for thawing breastmilk up (because you shouldn't thaw or heat up breastmilk in the microwave). So it was perfect for thawing breastmilk and heating up the bottles too!

I probably could go on and on. If I think of any other good things - I add another post.

March 21st, 2010, 03:53 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i loved dr. browns bottles...i was using the venti air ones but my sister got me to make the switch. A good play mat where baby can easily hit & grab stuff. We tried to go less expensive on the plymt and ended up putting more money in for a good one - and Ds LOVED it - it was a fisher price one i think. the other thing Ds loved was his jumperoo when he got a little older.
March 21st, 2010, 03:54 PM
klsfl10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you both! That's great!

March 21st, 2010, 03:55 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
oh yes & the boppy pillow is amazing - for BF/bottle feeding/tummy time/ support for baby learning to sit up .... so many uses!!!
March 21st, 2010, 04:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hre's my take:

Bedding:
We've only ever had 2 fitted crib sheets and 2 of the mattress covers and were fine. I always spread out a receiving blanket under their head to catch the spit up(which didn't happen often with my kids?). We skipped the pricey sets since the baby doesn't really use the stuff.

We had a mobile, but honestly, it didn't get used very often. Once they can sit up they can usually grab it even if yor move the mattress all the way down. I tend not to go for the crib toys/entertainers as I want them to learn to sleep in their crib, not play.

We had a swaddler, but I found I could get them swaddled tighter with a blanket than the actual swaddler. We never used sleep sacks.

Clothing:
I wouldn't register for anything that the store is carrying seasonally. The stuff changes so often, you'll just end up confusing people when they can't find something your registered for. Stick to the basics like onesies and socks.

For newborns especially, I found keeping them in onesies and sleepers works the best and having 6 of each was plenty. It kept me on top of getting the laundry done, plus they actually wore them more than once or twice.

Neither of my kids could stand the little hats.
Outfits we also stuck to having about 6-8 in 0-3m, 3-6m, and 6-9 m.

Diapering:
We started with a diaper genie, but quickly got rid of it because it just did not contain the stink! We opted to take the diapers directly to the garbage can in the garage and would use our old plastic grocery bags for them or you can buy the rolls of the tiny diapers sacks.

Don't go overboard with buying NB diapers as your baby may quickly outgrow them. Also some babies are sensitive to certain diapers/wipes/bath stuff so that could be a problem.

We didn't have a wipes warmer and everyone I know who did have one said it made the wipes too dry and quit using it.

I skipped a changing table pad/cover and used a folded over bath towel.

Feeding:
I had 6 4 oz bottles and 6 8 oz bottles. Even for my older son who bottle fed it worked out-again, it kept me on top of keeping them clean!

I preferred the glass bottles and they seem to look cleaner to me and I felt they were more sanitary.

The little boy I watch had Dr. Browns and Playex drop ins and I thought both of those were a PITA.

If bottle feeding, several bibs-keeps the clothes cleaner! I would change my oldest guy's bib 3-4 times a day, but that was a lot easier than changing his clothes that many times. My BFed guy rarely needed a bib.

I found a coffee mug with wamr water in it would warm a bottle perfectly.

If BFing, I foundthe cloth reusable breast padsthe best-less itchy and just toss 'em in when you wash your whites.

Gear:
Car seat
Stroller
Bouncer
Swing
High chair
Play mat
We've only used our pack and play for vacations, never at home.

We had a walker for outside so I didn't have to worry about kiddo crawling off if we were working on something outside or him getting into yucky stuff.

We used our monitor a lot for being out on the patio while baby was sleeping.

Misc:
Baby nail clippers

Thermometer

Diaper bag

Anytime we tried to use the bulb sunction thingy the kids just got more mad, cried more and were more stuffed up.

Good hand lotion for yourself-they'll dry out with all the extra hand washing you'll do.
The dishwasher baskets are great for containing all their little spoons once they are eating.
March 21st, 2010, 06:08 PM
*MomofO&Nat*'s Avatar Kelly, Massachusetts Mama
I could go on forever....but because I have to put my son to bed, I will just list the things I loved and found I needed a lot.
Snap N Go stroller: to go with infant seat until old enough to switch to big car seat and other stroller, so easy, a must have for errands
Bundle Me: loved this in the winter to keep baby warm in the car seat and on walks
Fisher Price Booster Seat: use it every day, once they can sit up without support, take it everywhere with me, easy to clean, only 25$
Sleep Sacks: DS slept in them until 18 months, we had 2 at all times in case he threw up on the one he was wearing, register for sizes M-L b/c you won't use until they are a bit older
Swaddle Me's
Exersaucer: didn't want to buy one but soooo needed!
Activity Mat: for that 3-6 month range when they can't sit and play yet
Bottle Rack/Dishwasher basket
Born Free Bottles: no colic here, easy to use, BPA free, no leaks for us
Nipples size 1 to 4
Sony monitor: no problems, love it
Video monitor: we didn't get until 15 months, LOVE IT!! We have the Summer one, Easy to check on toddler instead of opening door and waking him
Bath tub: we used it a lot until about 9 months I think
Onesies: you will get a TON at your shower, don't wash them all or cut all the tags off b/c you can return the ones he or she never gets to wear and get something you need more
Robeez shoes: ask for 6-12 month size for when they start crawling, walking
Sleepers that button or zip up: baby will wear these for most of the first 4 months
Changing pad covers: we have 4, DS is a super pooper
We got our glider on craigslist and put new cushions in it
A good mobile for the crib, we had Fisher Price Ocean Wonders
Triple Paste!!! The best one we have used
Pampers Swaddlers for the first few months
Ok, gotta run! Hope this helps a bit.
Natalie Laura (9/14/10)
Harrison Dean (2/22/13)
Proud Member of the September 2010 Playroom

March 21st, 2010, 07:03 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
The girls have a GREAT list!!! I didn't notice, but bouncer chairs are also great

I made sure my bottles were bpa free, and since I was nursing, I found that La Leche recommended the slow flow nipples first (I can't remember if silicone or latex! Someone help out here...) and to use wide nipples most like natural nipples, so I got the wide mouth Nuby BPA free bottles and then the Gerber bottle nipples that fit. I plan on doing the same thing.

I didn't ever use the changing table or a diaper genie. Everyone told me they were a waste of $ and space, so we didn't even get them, and we are A-OK without them.

Definitely get the lanolin cream if you are going to nurse. It is a godsend!

My boobs are HUGE, so this round, I'm also getting a boob-support pillow to help be able to "one hand" nurse, meaning, I don't have to support my own boob with one hand (thanks to this little pillow) and only need the other hand to hold baby. Sounds much nicer!!!

I'm also going to use a sling and a wrap this round. Didn't with DD, and I think life could have been easier if I did instead of holding her all the time.

Maybe something for white noise in the nursery? We use a humidifier (warm air) during cold months. They also have a little bear in the baby sections of the store that makes womb noises, or a fan, or just a white noise machine can help them sleep.

Teething rings... they help. DD never took to them, but they can be very useful to relieve teething, and maybe some natural teething drops too...

Gripe water and infant tylenol, just in case you have a little one who may be colicky or who falls to fever (which is not uncommon during teething).

Maybe some classical CD's to play for baby? I use a LOT of them and love them.

books... they are always fun. Get some that can be in the bathtub (plastic books) and some that are NOT just paper pages (cardboard pages instead) b/c they can tear out the paper pages

I agree... TONS of socks. We didn't have any shoes for DD until she was 9 months old. I'd say if you are going to use shoes, don't get anything that has a "real" sole. Dr.'s say they are still developing the nerves in the soles of their feet and need to walk/toddle around for a while without shoes to truly have a sound sense of balance and so forth. Worked for us and we'll do the same for this one. WE may use baby slippers since it'll be chilly in the winter, but they don't have the sole that some shoes do.

If you plan on pumping... get some nursing bags to store the milk. You'll need them I used Gerber, I think, and rarely had probs with leakage (it's so heartbreaking to see one drop leak out after all that hard work!) And then any pump items you want. I have a lanolin pump, double, hands free, battery and wall-electric operated. I love it, and it wasn't as costly as the Madela. I hope it still works!

Can't think of anything else. Sorry if anything was already listed... they all had great lists and I can't remember all they had written!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
March 21st, 2010, 07:45 PM
Frangipani's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wish I could sticky this thread for myself so I could find it easily later!
March 21st, 2010, 07:53 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbirds View Post
I made sure my bottles were bpa free, and since I was nursing, I found that La Leche recommended the slow flow nipples first (I can't remember if silicone or latex! Someone help out here...) and to use wide nipples most like natural nipples, so I got the wide mouth Nuby BPA free bottles and then the Gerber bottle nipples that fit. I plan on doing the same thing.
silicone.

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
March 21st, 2010, 08:07 PM
Pupcake74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It looks like you all have put together a great list.

I do like to have more than one mattress pad.....I always make the kids beds twice. Waterproof mattress pad, sheet, waterproof mattress pad sheet...this comes in so handy when there are night time accidents. You can just take the top set off.

As for baby cloths I agree with not putting them on the list since items change so much. I would however tell who ever might be your middle man, friend/relative that will be setting up the shower, if any one asks what to get or about cloths ask them to let them know that you would also like bigger sizes. It seems like eveyone likes to get newborn and 0-3 months because they are so tiny and cute, but they never seem to get used. My kids spent the first couple of months in gowns. It was just so much easier.

I agree a wipe warmer is a must

Oh and I just love Max and Ruby....LOL

March 21st, 2010, 08:14 PM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupcake74 View Post

Oh and I just love Max and Ruby....LOL
My son calls them "Max and Boobie".

March 22nd, 2010, 07:52 AM
** Mandy **
Things I used:
Loved our Summer brand video monitor
Infant car seat and stroller
car seat and stroller toys
Shopping cart cover
Baby Bjorn front carrier
Pack-N-Play & two fitted sheets for it
Swing
Playmat
Bouncer
Exercaucer
Bottle Warmer
Generic Bottles from Target worked perfect for us
Have heard it isn't needed but we used a sterilizer too
Boppy Pillow
Bibs - ended up not liking the regular cloth ones as well as those that are cloth on the front and plastic on the back - keep liquid from going through - at Target
Dishwasher Caddy
High Chair & Booster Seat - we had both but there are ones that act as both
Baby Bathtub
Baby washcloths
Diapers
Diaper Pail
Wipe warmer
For diaper changes we used a changer bad on top of a dresser and put a receiving blanket on top
Gliding rocker
Mattress cover and crib sheets - we only had two of each
Receiving blankets
Hats
socks
onesies (long and short sleeve)
soft pants
sleepers
We had a noise maker too - we all use them in our house when sleeping

Things I had but didn't use:
Baby towels - too small and not very fluffy - liked to use regular ones better
Didn't have a diaper organizer but don't think it is necessary
Swaddle Me
Sleep Sacks
Gowns - they always rode up so I didn't like them - liked sleepers and onesies better
Crib mobile
Sling - (liked Baby Bjorn so much better, couldn't really get the hang of any slings)

March 22nd, 2010, 01:27 PM
ardisbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frangipani View Post
I wish I could sticky this thread for myself so I could find it easily later!
ME TOO! There have been several posts on here that I have felt seem useful but that I am not ready for!

March 22nd, 2010, 02:50 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Your sticky wish will be granted

We can sticky this in the "Our Peas in their Pods" area, so if you want to remember it or look back, check it out there!!! Hopefully, we'll still add to this also.

I'll request for it to get stickied tomorrow, so you all can "notice" that it will be stickied there

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
March 22nd, 2010, 02:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Another thing I have seen used on other boards is to create a stickied thread and then inside that thread have links to the other important threads that people ask to have stickied.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search