Any BTDT moms here who were induced?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 1st, 2010, 12:37 PM
lexicon's Avatar formerly SarahRenee
What were the circumstances regarding your induction? Size of baby? BP? Overdue? etc??

Do you think you'll be induced again this time?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my siggy!
April 1st, 2010, 12:41 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
I've been induced three times now, and am deseperately hoping to avoid it this time.

I'm induced because I have chronic high blood pressure and in all my pregnancies before this, the medication isn't enough to control it well before it overdoses me. Thankfully, this time there is a new med that they've combined with the old one that is keeping my numbers lower than what they are even not pregnant!

I was also borderline GD with both of my last two, and they were big. My first was smaller, and I wasn't on meds with him - he was 7lbs 1oz. The other two were 8lbs 11oz oand 9lbs 1oz respectively. One of the "side effects" of having high blood pressure in pregnancy is a low-birthweight baby, but I guess that's outweighed by the borderline GD and an overweight mother? LOL

Hopefully this time my bp will stay low enough that I won't need to be induced. Either way, I won't accept pitocin. I'll let them strip my membranes, cervidil, whatever else (after chatting and research of course), but no pitocin. It doesn't work on me - no dilation after DAYS of pit drip, and within 2 hours of breaking my water we have a baby. No pit for me, thank you very much.

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
April 1st, 2010, 12:51 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I was induced about a week before my due date due to pre-e. I had PIH for a few weeks, and the swelling and bp just kept getting worse and worse, then the protein showed up in the urine test and my BP just shot up even worse (I usually have LOW bp) so we induced. I already was about 2 cm dilated and I can not remember how much effaced, but it was a decent amount...

No pitocin!

Just the cervidil (I think, it was a c-pill) inserted and I didn't even need all 3 doses... So, I was more ready to go than they thought. Labor was quick and I got my epidural, so also fairly painless

I'd do it again (no pitocin!) in a heartbeat if my bp and pre-e signs show up.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
April 1st, 2010, 12:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Pitocin with both of my boys. 5 days past due, contractions for 8 hours, so we went to the hospital, only to be told I was 1/2 cm. BP was too high for them to release me at that point. Walked for about 4 hours, no change, started the pitocin, SLOW progress, finally agreed to an epidural and things finally started to progress. Total labor 27 hours.

2nd kiddo, BP was higher than they wanted during last half of pregnancy, no meds though, after 6 hours of contractions, my water broke at home, went to the hospital, again found out I was only 1/2 cm...BOO! They skipped the walking and went right to the pitocin again, slow prgress until they were able to give me the epidural, then things were okay. Total labor 18 hours
April 1st, 2010, 12:57 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
Pitocin is evil.

Let's put it this way - with my oldest they did the pit full-blast until lunch when they broke my water. (The night before they'd done Cervidil to soften the cervix. meh.) With my second they induced a full day, unhooked it to let me sleep and did a full day again. Nothing happened so they sent me home and brought me back a week later, to induce until lunch, argue with me for 2 hours about a c-section, and then broke my water. With my third it was a full day, unhook to let me sleep, then induce until lunch and break my water. Each time when they finally broke my water we had a baby in 2 hours.

Everyone responds to it differently, and for some people it's way strong and they can't handle the pain. For me, it's nothing - literally.

Either way, I've seldom heard a "good" story about pitocin. There are other options, and often one intervention leads to another. I won't be caught in that trap this time, even if I must sign an AMA. Break the dern water bag, doof!!

/rant over

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
April 1st, 2010, 12:58 PM
*Amie*
I was induced, due to going 15 days overdue. They broke my waters at midday, and started me on the drip, but they kept having to increase the amount of thedrug (pitocotin?? I can't spell it) as my contractions, although intense, were irregular. It ended up that at about 9pm, both mine the DS's heartrates were rediculously high, so I ended up being given an epi. It worked so "well" I couldn't feel my contractions, and felt out of control. He was born at 1.04am, I tore pretty badly and took months to heal properly.
I blame it all on the induction and get scared that my body doesn't seem to know what to do, I sometimes wonder if I'll ever go into labour on my own. I hope NOT to be induced this time, although I can't imagine not being

OH, and he was 9lb 2oz!!!!!!!!!

April 1st, 2010, 01:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I didn't necessarily like it, but when basically told I needed to dilate or else have a c/s I opted for the pitocin. It does help me dilate. My body could have contractions all day long with no progess! With both boys, their heartrates were getting erratic, heads were swelling because of trying to press through the itty bitty opening, both has passed meconium (oldest ingested some and spent 8 hours after the birth in the NICU), so the pitocin seemed like the lesser of 2 evils.
April 1st, 2010, 01:18 PM
lexicon's Avatar formerly SarahRenee
I was induced with DD 4 days early (well actually it was 5 days but I had her 4 days before her due date).

My BP shot up through the roof. At my 38 week appt it was normal (125/65 ish) and at 39 weeks it was 155/90. So I had to do a 24 hour urine collection and went to the hospital for a NST. Got sent home to do the pee jug and 24 hours later I had to bring it back for testing so my OB decided to check my BP again and it creeped up some more... so back to the hospital I went. Was diagnosed with PIH and since I was already past 39 weeks they decided to induce and get the baby out so my BP would go back down.

They started me with the cervadial (sp?) and pitocin drip at 10 pm (I was already 1 1/2 cm dilated).
5 am-- no progress whatsoever... so another pill in the vajajay...
9 am-- no progress whatsoever (even with the pitocin... I was having strong contractions) so they broke my water. YIKES!!!!!! As soon as my water broke, my contractions moved from my belly to my back!!! Back labor GALORE!
3pm-- I started asking for the epidural. 7 hours of back labor with pitocin turned all the way up... was not fun. I was constantly on the toilet (it felt so good to just sit there), on the ball, pacing the room, rocking in the rocking chair... I just could not stay still. Every time I asked for it they told me the epidural guy was in surgery... GRRRRRRR.... I was not a happy camper then.
6 pm-- the epi guy finally came. YES!!! My OB came in with him and told us that I would have a c-section that night. He checked me down there and I was not progressing and I was stuck at 3 cm and the baby was having a few decelerations in her heartrate meaning she was starting to stress... so I cried. OB told me to get the epi, take a nap for a few hours (since I had been up all night and all day with contractions and no pain meds and I was EXHAUSTED)... and then they'd do the c-section around 8 or 9 pm. So I got my epidural in at 6:15 pm. As soon as it was in, my nurse came over to put my catheter in and I told her I had to poop again!!! I begged her to let me go poop one last time before the epidural fully took effect. She said no, that she'd clean it up... and I was feeling SO MUCH PRESSURE so she decided to check, and her eyes just got real wide and she RAN out of the room. I was doing everything I could not to push (crossing my legs and squeezing the handles on the bed!) and the room just filled up with people and my OB came in and told me I was a lucky duck and asked me if I wanted a nap or if I wanted to push? haha! So I pushed for less than 5 minutes and she was out. I was just so SHOCKED how fast it happened... and my OB's theory was that the epidural for me, brings on spontateous delivery. So now I won't be so afraid of asking for it next time!

And I'm hoping I won't have to be induced again. I would love to go into labor on my own and labor at home for a while before going to the hospital. Pitocin for me just brought on STRONG contractions from start to finish... there was no "build up"... and I'm hoping I won't have back labor again but I'm told I probably will because I have a tilted uterus.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my siggy!
April 1st, 2010, 01:28 PM
TXErinC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was induced because I was overdue a couple days and they used pitocin.
I absolutely hated it and hope to not be induced this time around but would rather be induced than go way over my due date. I honestly didn't know any better with my 1st so I just did what the doc told me. The contractions were horrible with the pitocin and I hated getting the epidural so quickly and not being to move around.
April 1st, 2010, 01:42 PM
Frozendesire's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Frozendesire
I was induced with Dustin. My water broke at 36 weeks and nothing was happening so they put me on pitocin the next day. An hour of active labor and no pain meds, he was born.

April 1st, 2010, 02:31 PM
The Heather's Avatar Jedi Master of Piffleness
I was induced at 38w6d because my water broke but I wasn't in labor. The pitocin worked for me, but I would love to go into labor naturally this time.

April 1st, 2010, 03:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was induced 5 days early due to how big he was suppose to be. He ended up only being 8lbs 5oz. I really liked it being scheduled. I had a great experience. I will probably do it again but will wait until 40 weeks this time unless the baby comes on his on.
April 1st, 2010, 03:11 PM
J9+J+C=Complete's Avatar Charlotte & Jacob's Mommy
I was induced with pitocin because of preeclampsia and my water breaking almost 24 hours before (which they didn't realize until 24 hours later even when I came in that morning saying it had ) I don't know if I hate pitocin because I hated magnesium sulfate more
April 1st, 2010, 03:58 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
I have been induced TWICE!

First time my blood pressure spiked and I was in the week of my due date so the doctor induced.

Second time I was 10 days past due date so I was induced.

I think I'll be induced again as I don't think I due on my due date. Thye don't take much effort into picking that date but in the end they put alot of stock into it! That and the fact that babies in my family go long. I have an "agreement" with my doctor that i will be induced on Sept 29th, 2 weeks after my technical due date.
April 1st, 2010, 04:02 PM
MeganMomof5's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i've been induced every time...The first 3 times were due to my blood pressure...4th time I was having anxiety issues and my doctor induced me...5th time for obvious reasons since Ella was stillborn....I have been induced with everything possible, pitocin, cervidil, cytotec and a cathider in my cervix...With my first daughter I was in and out of the hospital for 10 days trying to get labor started...I hope to be induced this time, and i'm going to ask my doctor about it soon...It's all I know, and I want to go early as I don't think i'll relax at all till I have a baby in my arms.

April 1st, 2010, 04:20 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was because i got extremely sick hoping really, hoping not to be induced this time
April 1st, 2010, 04:21 PM
ladybugmomma's Avatar Trisha
I have only been induced once. With my 3rd. I was induced 2 weeks early due to her size and my previous baby had " sticky shoulders" so there was a chance my 3rd would have shoulder dystocia.
Well at 38 weeks, she had should dystocia, and was 10 lbs 0.3 oz !!!!
I had the gel Saturday morning at 8, then at 4, and then again at 8 am on Sunday. It made me very uncomfortable but not enough to admit me Finally at about 11 am it got more, they broke my water at 5;30 and she was born at 7:37 pm Sunday.
it was my worst labour. My last was 11 days overdue and I was only in labour 2 hours. Much better.
April 1st, 2010, 04:50 PM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
I went to the hospital cus i seemed to be leaking just a tiny bit (i had been for at least 48 hours) but it didn;t seem like my water, the nurse didnt think it was either... anyways it was and i was 5cm already!! (no contractions on my front but my back was killing me... i didn't connect the dots, lol)

cus my waster was leaking for atleast 48 hours they induced me with pitoin (next time i think i would question it but 1st time i didn't know better)

they broke my water once i got into a room and was already 7cm.... then i had one little contraction in my front .... then BAM... fill force induced back labour..... i had an epidural... wait make that 3 epidurals (45-50 mins later they finally got one they could use, over a hour from when they started i actually started to feel it.. but that is whole other story)....

by the time they got the epidural in i was already 10 cm so pitocin worked fast for me... at least til i got to pushing... that was another 2 1/2 hours

the pitocin and back labour was definnaly INTENSE but at the end i got a baby so all was worth it!!!!
April 1st, 2010, 05:09 PM
~Tiffany~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was induced with Savannah, I had Pre-E. It really wasn't that bad, if I had to do it again I would skip the pitocin and ask to just have my water broke I was at 4cm andshebrokemy water, 10=11 min later I was 10cm and she was born 13 min after they broke my water!
April 1st, 2010, 05:31 PM
Super Mommy
I was induced with my last due to pre-e. I had to go in at 35+ weeks to have an emergency cerclage removal due to dilating. I went into full labor w/contractions 1-2 mins apart and really strongThey weren't going to stop it, then it stalled during the night and at 38 weeks my bp was too high to wait. I was already 4 cm dilated w/my water bulging so they started me on pit & mag and broke my water. I had a rough labor it took 12 hours of hard contractions to finally get to 10cm and an hour and a half of pushing and still had a vacuum ext. and the placenta wouldn't detach so doc had to go in to his elbow and scrape it out...fun stuff.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search