Night Leg Cramps??

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 2nd, 2010, 07:07 AM
Angel_Maker
Anyone SUFFERING from these??? I say suffering because they are SUPER PAINFUL

It's a completely involuntary contraction of the calf muscle and it HURTS! I had one last night and it caused me to literally jolt up out of bed in pain....It was about 3AM and I had to limp around the bedroom to try and get it to go away.....apparently they're harmless, but they're definitely NO FUN
April 2nd, 2010, 07:10 AM
mt23hc's Avatar Melissa
Send a message via AIM to mt23hc
Maybe try to eat some bananas I've heard it helps!

I had some at the END of my pregnancy with Hayden but none yet this time!
April 2nd, 2010, 07:14 AM
C&J's Mom's Avatar Stacy
I got them a LOT when I was pregnant with Carter. I haven't had any this time *knock on wood! They are super painful. Eating bananas is supposed to help, but also I found that when I would get them if I stayed in bed, stretched out the leg and pointed my toes as far back as possible (toward head) it would help to stretch it and would make the cramp stop. It would still be super sore in the morning, but would at least make the intense pain stop. I hope you find some relief! They are no fun!

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
April 2nd, 2010, 07:33 AM
K_photo_mom's Avatar Krista
I had them at the very end of my pregnancies....they are miserable! I hope you don't have to deal with them for 6 more months!
April 2nd, 2010, 07:34 AM
Angel_Maker
I'm gonna have to go to the store and get some bananas! I've already had the leg cramps several times this pregnancy! OUCH!
April 2nd, 2010, 07:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I got them a few times before, but much later in pregnancy. Maybe try some gentle stretching each night before bed too? If you do a lot of standing throughout the day that could be part of it too.
April 2nd, 2010, 09:16 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I had them starting in the second tri last time and they are NO fun, as you said, Brandi. They say bananas (potassium) are good and also stretching before you get into bed. When it does kick in... yep, watch out, but stretching that calf muscle as long as you can (pointing toes towards your head as far as you can) surely helps relieve it a LITTLE.

Sorry you are experiencing this so soon! UG. Something we get to look forward to

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
April 2nd, 2010, 10:13 AM
Angel_Maker
I guess I can't complain as I haven't really had any other pregnancy symptoms....but leave it to me to experience it early
April 2nd, 2010, 11:44 AM
::april.showers::'s Avatar April- Mama of 4
I got them all the time with my third pregnancy they were the worst! Banannas and strtching helped somewhat-

Thank you GraysMama for another amazing siggy!
April 2nd, 2010, 12:22 PM
Ninky's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey Brandi! Just lurking from the Sept 08 PR. I got charlie horses ALL the time during my pregnancy. It got to the point where I'd jump out of bed from a dead sleep in pain. Imagine jumping out of bed at 8 months pregnant!
I tried bananas and it didn't work at all! Nothing worked! So, I'm no real help, but just thought I'd chime in! back to lurking for me!

Pounds Lost: 56.2 ::::::: Pound To Go Until We TTC: .4 lbs
April 2nd, 2010, 01:21 PM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
YES! I used to get at least 3 a night with DD Which started around 7 months. Ive already been getting them and they SUCK!! They always make my leg sore for like 2 days! I eat Banana's and they dont work. My Doc said there's really nothing you can do about It.....GREAT!
April 2nd, 2010, 01:45 PM
Angel_Maker
Booooo if bananas don't work I wonder what is making some of us get them so early??? What causes them at all????
April 2nd, 2010, 02:23 PM
Ninky's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's caused by pressure/weight being applied to your blood vessels. I've heard it could be calcium/potassium deficiency too, which why the ladies are saying bananas. You can try taking a calcium supplement and see if that helps? Worth a shot at least.

Just grabbed this from a website on preventing/helping the leg cramps:

# Don’t stand or sit with your legs crossed for long periods of time.

# Stretch your calf and leg muscles during the day and before bed.

# Rotate your ankles and wiggle your toes when you are sitting.

# If your doctor or midwife allows it, try to take a walk each day. Even a short 10 minute walk can help.

# Lie on your left side to improve your circulation.

# Rest when you are tired and elevate your legs when possible.

# Wear supportive stockings.

# If your doctor or midwife allows it, take a warm bath to help relax your muscles before bed.

# Drink plenty of water.

# If your doctor or midwife allows it, take a magnesium supplement in addition to your prenatal vitamin. Magnesium has been proven to be beneficial in the treatment of leg cramps.

HTH

Pounds Lost: 56.2 ::::::: Pound To Go Until We TTC: .4 lbs
April 2nd, 2010, 02:27 PM
VeronicaBride's Avatar Jen
I had forgotten about this. I had them quite often with Avery but haven't had them yet with this one. They are just awful.

April 2nd, 2010, 02:40 PM
lexicon's Avatar formerly SarahRenee
Poor thing!!!! They SUCK so bad. I remember getting those a few times during the end of my last pregnancy... they're NO fun.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my siggy!
April 2nd, 2010, 02:45 PM
Angel_Maker
Thanks Andrea for that list....a lot of those things I do (both the do's and don'ts) so I will try to work on that

I have an appt. on Friday, so I'll see what the DRs say about it
April 2nd, 2010, 04:23 PM
blondie0907's Avatar Veteran
Yep, I remember jumping out of bed in the middle of the night during my last pregnancy. I don't think mine started until I was about 6 months along though. I hope you can get some relief from them.

Photo Tinks by WiddlyTinks.com

April 2nd, 2010, 04:27 PM
lulumama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We just discussed this last night at my prenatal class - they say they can be caused by both too little and too much calcium. Nurse said to shoot for 1200 mg a day. Also keeping yourself hydrated can help as well.

Forever missing our baby boy, Otis Allen, born September 12, 2010 at 41 wks; left this world 36 hours later.

Blessed with our Maui Miracle - Owen Kekoa, born 9/19/11 at 35w3d!
April 2nd, 2010, 07:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to SuggaBabe Send a message via Yahoo to SuggaBabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carters Mommy View Post
I got them a LOT when I was pregnant with Carter. I haven't had any this time *knock on wood! They are super painful. Eating bananas is supposed to help, but also I found that when I would get them if I stayed in bed, stretched out the leg and pointed my toes as far back as possible (toward head) it would help to stretch it and would make the cramp stop. It would still be super sore in the morning, but would at least make the intense pain stop. I hope you find some relief! They are no fun!
^^^ Definitely works. With my first pregnancy my Dr. told me to do this, and it SOUNDS painful but it relieves the cramp like - instantly, so TRY IT!! It works!!

April 2nd, 2010, 07:41 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yes, i have them too i had them with ds as well. booo.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search