Breast Feeding.... nervous

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2010, 06:27 PM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
anyone else worried that they might have problems breastfeeding? I know it is early to think about it but cus i couldn't breastfeed my son i am wondering how it will go this time

anyone else have problems one time and been good at BFing the next baby?

This time i know more and will not leave the NICU (or hopefully the regular hospital) til my baby can breastfeed (with my son it was even stressful to bottle feed him)

i am excited to beable to feed my little bean, I am sure it is amazing to beable to do something for your baby that no one else can do!!

anyone else thinking about this yet?
April 4th, 2010, 06:28 PM
scunch's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have thought about this quite a bit. Nobody in my family breastfed (that I know of). My mom said she just could not do it, I hope it is not the same for me.

April 4th, 2010, 06:44 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i had a hard time with ds because he was in the nicu and they weren't very supportive of breast feeding....any way i pumped for bottles and breast fed but he only lasted a few months -because the bottle was 'easier' he didn't have much patients for the breast and with pumping my milk didn't stay in very long i'm hoping it goes better this time - but i am worried because i am going back to work - i really hope my milk stays in and baby is willing to do both. i know baby wont starve because there is formula but i would prefer to b/f.
April 4th, 2010, 06:45 PM
missmich
Id you're nervous about it you can always join the LLL near you now before baby arrives. That's what I've been advised to do. Join now to make friends and get to know the leader and feel comfortable with them.
April 4th, 2010, 06:47 PM
The Heather's Avatar Jedi Master of Piffleness
I had trouble at the beginning with my DD, but I was able to breastfeed her with lots of help from the lactation consultants and a breastfeeding support group. The first lactation consultant that I met with was not much help, but I asked for somebody else and they were much better. Also, the support group was extremely helpful. So even though my DD was formula supplemented in the first couple of weeks, I was able to breastfeed her for a year. I'm hoping that this time around it will be a little easier, but I plan on going to the support group again. It was such a great feeling to be able to breastfeed and I hope everybody that wants to is able to. Good luck to all of you!

April 4th, 2010, 06:55 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
Yes, really really if you're anxious at all - and even if you're not - a support group is a great thing. Your local La Leche League is a great place to start!

A lactation consultant with you at the hospital for a few visits those first few days would be a godsend! Please though be careful - make sure that the person you're talking to is a Registered Lactation Consultant. Hospitals these days are hiring almost anyone to do a "breastfeeding counselor" position, including RN's who have never had any BF training whatsoever. So don't be shy - ask! Better yet, make contact with an RLC before you go to the hospital and arrange for her to meet you when the baby is born.

Yes, also be aware that feeding from a bottle - even expressed breastmilk - may actually hinder baby learning to nurse. Milk comes easier out of an artificial nipple, and baby may not be patient enough to wait on the breast if she's been introduced to the ease of the bottle. Please avoid these for a good 6 weeks if at all possible! It's also recommended to avoid pacifiers for that long, just for latching's sake.

Many women are told or become convinced that they "can't" breastfeed, when that just isn't the case. It's very rare that a woman doesn't produce milk or that the baby has a reaction to it of some sort. Otherwise the human race would not be able to support itself - think about it.

I'm a resource for you, too, but nothing beats a local support group and LC!!

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
April 4th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree-if you are nervous, join a group-having support is very important for your success.

With my first son, we kept trying and trying and were not having luck. A LC came and still we were not having luck. He just wasn't latching properly. The nurses were great and brought me a pump, but I only got very little out of course. We did supplement with some formula. It was finally this little old lady nurse who realized our son was severely tongue tied and that was why he couldn't latch or suck properly. When I got home, we still tried every feeding to BF first (and couldn't, so I would pump and then feed), but after 3-4 days I gave up trying and went to pumping. We were able to get his tongue clipped around a month old, but by then he was used to the bottle and wouldn't try BF then.

With my second, I was really hoping it would work out and it did! He was great from the get go. He BFed for about 11 months, then would take a bottle of expressed milk before bed. During the day he was drinking BM from a cup. Since he only wanted to try to BF at night, my supply dwindled so we relied on the expressed milk for that night bottle and he had BM until around 14 months.

So even after a rocky experience the first time, things can work out differently in the future.
April 4th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Angel_Maker
I don't plan on BFing since I will be going back to work and don't want to risk the possibility of nipple confusion and all the frustration (for baby) when switching back and forth between bottle and breast.

I plan on pumping. Also, depending on the age of our adopted baby when he comes, I may give him BM too...it will just depend.
April 4th, 2010, 07:56 PM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
I was super nervous with DS. I knew this was something I wanted to do, but didn't want to kill myself over it. I ended up making a lot of milk and according to my LC I make pure cream.

I did go to a LLL meeting the month before I was due to make those connections and hear people's stories. It was a great experience and I was glad to know they were there if I had trouble. I also read books, magazine, online articles, watch videos (Jack Newman's site has some great videos...but you do see lots of boobies - so don't watch them at work!) and listened to podcast (pregtastic has a lot on breastfeeding). I felt like I could not educate myself any more on the subject. But for me, knowledge is power.

I will tell you, the first two weeks are hell for any new BF momma. Your skin will be torn off, your boobs will hurt and you will want to quit. Just get through those 2 weeks. Also, before you leave the hospital, get your OB to prescribe Jack Newman's APNO (all purpose nipple ointment). I saw every LC in the hospital and then met with my LC at the ped office. She was AMAZING. She found out that DS's frendulum needed to be clipped. That saved me too. He was getting what he needed the whole time, it was just so painful for me that i would cry out in pain for the first 3 minutes of the feeding.

I went back to work 3 months after birth and pumped 2-3 times a day. It was more of a supply/demand issue. If my body is demanding I make more, my supply goes up. Also I found a milkshake or a good thick beer would help me make more. DS ended up getting EBM for 13 months before we switched him to 2%.

Good luck! Educate yourself and find a good support group to help out this start to go wrong. Check the ped office and see if they have a LC on site. Go to the hospital and meet with LC there before you deliver. They are a great resource!

Amanda

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search