I got a call form my Dr office today.

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Pupcake74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The results from my blood work on my thyroid came back and its not good. In Jan when they tested it it was just over 3, well from my blood draw a few weeks ago its over 12. It was not even that high when I was diagnosed and started taking meds for it. Of course I googled and there is alot of basic stuff, but one article made a brief mention that there is .4% chance that someone with a normal range will go over 10 during PG. First there is a 5% chance that this old lady got PG to begin with and now a .4% chance that my thyroid would over react like this. Holy Moly! I just talked to the assistant and I have a new higher dose, but I'm a little freaked out by this number. It affects the babys growth, miscarraige, pre-eclampsia, high blood pressure and those numbers go up greatly and the thyroid number goes up. And 12 is up there!

I'm thinking that this call actually should of been made by the Dr or that he would want to see me sooner. My next appt is my 18 week ultrasound on April 23 and then he wants to see me 2 weeks after that. The last time I saw him was March 17.

Oh and while reading I came across the info of how iodine actually helps with the condition. Well in the last year I switched to sea salt which doesn't have the added iodine that regular table salt has and then to top things off I have cut alot of salt form other things out of my diet because of having eclampsia in my first PG. Agh.....this is so stressing me out!

April 5th, 2010, 05:52 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i'm sorry hun!!! hugs! def call & ask if you should go in sooner!
April 5th, 2010, 06:19 PM
momof8lopez's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Im so sorry for such a high number to come back.....I would call and ask if you should be seen by a higher risk dr. (don't know if you are already) but definitely call back and ask for an appt sooner than the end of the month. I hope the meds get this under control quickly for you!

Momma of 8 beautiful children now. Most recent is Jerry Jr. born 11/19/12 at 37wk, 7lbs 6oz and 19.5inches and Baby Reymundo born 10/7/13 at 35w6d, 6lbs 7oz, 19.5 inches. Momma of 5 angels. New siggy to come!

April 5th, 2010, 06:19 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
OH, wow... I didn't know the thyroid could just take a dive like that. I'm also on thyroid meds and I guess I should get mine checked as well, since I had pre-e last pregnacy too. I really hope your doc could address this sooner! Is there a way you could leave him a message to call you back and discuss this? It seems like something you wouldn't want to wait 3 weeks for. I hope it all eases for you!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
April 5th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Pupcake74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been googling like a mad woman. Most of it is basic/generic info. I have found a couple mentions that your thyroid being low in the first trimester is the worst, since up to about 10-12 weeeks the baby depends on your thyroid. Its about that time that the baby starts using its own. Well my first test was about 6 weeks and my second test was done at 12 weeks, so both are in the first trimester. It talks more about neuralogical affects on the baby and testing lower in IQ tests and such. Agh.

What I'm worried about is the drastic number increase or AKA drop in thyroid production. For those of you with thyroid issues you kinda have an idea of what I'm talking about. Thats a huge jump in such a short time. Ya also know its not good when you talk to all of your friends and family with thyroid issues and the first thing out of thier mouth is WOooo. Well I guess it was better than my first coment to the assistant....."holy $#!+" I will be making a call to my Dr office in the AM.....

April 5th, 2010, 07:04 PM
VeronicaBride's Avatar Jen
My endocrinologist said that your thyroid level can vary quite dramatically for your first 20 weeks of pregnancy and then once you find the right dosage, it should even out. They check my blood work every couple weeks to make sure my levels are staying in the normal range. I have had my number be much higher than that though. As long as they get your medication at the right dose, you should be okay. Make sure they check your blood again in a couple weeks to see if this dose is helping.

April 5th, 2010, 08:07 PM
MamaMcGaw3's Avatar Veteran
I had my thyroid removed 3 years ago and With both my pregnancy since I had it removed I have had my blood/levels checked every 2-3 weeks because during pregnancy they can change so fast. They is alot of issue if you dont get your levels checked and meds adjusted. But those issues are every low odds. Just call and see if you can get in sooner or even get another blood work done before you have your next appt so you have more to go off of when you see your dr.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search