How did it come about?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Super Mommy
Ok ladies, how did your LO's name come about?

When I met my husband I always wanted our sons name to be Matthew Bryan. Well our first two children were girls so we have a Payton & Kaitlyn. Then in 2005 our nephew was born Matthew, so that changed our whole thing up. My husband wanted Johann (German family name way way back) as a first name, I said NO WAY. I still wanted Matthew in his name. So my husband jumped on the internet and found a few German names I liked. We were deciding between Jakob or Elias, and I liked Elias more as I HATE the nick name Jake. So in the end our handsome sons name is Elias Johann Matthew.

I would love to hear the story on how your little one got their name.

Exclusively nursing my handsome son!!!
April 25th, 2010, 10:50 PM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lillian is my mother's name and Rose was my grandma's as well as my middle name.

April 25th, 2010, 11:13 PM
(1)boy(2)girls's Avatar lovemyhusbandsondaughters
Edward - guy from Twilight
Alexis - girl from Gilmore Girls
Peyton - girl from One Tree Hill

JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUST KIDDING! That is their first/middle names (different spellings though), but not why we named them that
H - daughter / October 2008
P - daughter / January 2010
April 25th, 2010, 11:26 PM
RachaelDMommaTo3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to RachaelDMommaTo3 Send a message via Yahoo to RachaelDMommaTo3
Dh picked Rylan's name out. We had a friend years ago named Ryland and we really liked it, but didn't want to name our LO after him.. so we dropped the d to just make it Rylan. I love it, and thought it was so unique.. but there are several Rylans around now.

April 25th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob&RylansMomma View Post
there are several Rylans around now.
Love the name, no matter the spelling
April 26th, 2010, 12:07 AM
imAGine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I first brought up Phoenix and hubby loved it but was worried it might be too "different", so I really had to fight for it. I just love how the phoenix symbolizes rebirth.
April 26th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by imAGine View Post
I first brought up Phoenix and hubby loved it but was worried it might be too "different", so I really had to fight for it. I just love how the phoenix symbolizes rebirth.
A girl and boy that graduated with my husband have a baby with that name
April 26th, 2010, 03:14 AM
*Izzy's*Mommy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Isabella was my grandmother's name. People called her Bella, but we call our LO Izzy

April 26th, 2010, 04:10 AM
Amazona's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Because of Homer Simpson's new name (Max Power)
LOL
Seriously!

We were looking for names that can be easily pronnounced in english, French and Spanish and the simpsons was on. Bum!, Max it is! (then we looked for a "real" name and went with Maxime)

April 26th, 2010, 04:50 AM
inklady9's Avatar Glad to be a Mommy
We had a good friend who died in a fire named Jason
My Dads name was Dennis.
We put it together and came up with Jaiden
Her middle name Keianna, means rapture, or second coming.
We figured it was appropriate after the MC

April 26th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Ooh_lala's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We went to school with a guy named Ryker, and just always loved the name.

Piper- 02/12/07
Camden- 02/27/08
Ryker- 01/12/10
Atticus- 05/26/11

FINALLY expecting PINK again! Tatum Carlee EDD 06/08.

You don't have to ask, yes we know what causes it, and since you're asking and dont, google might be a nice place to start.
April 26th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Before we TTC, DH said Dashaun because both of our names will be included. I said it should be a middle name being that there is already enough Shaun's in his family. It became the first name because he didn't want his first name to be Isaiah. He couldn't see himself yelling at an Isaiah so after we signed the info for his name, he said we should have named him Isaiah...men

April 26th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Amber76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Amber76
Gabriella Rosemarie Anne

Gabriella- I was looking for a Christmas name that wasn't too obvious. Gabriel was the angel who came to Mary to tell her she was carrying Jesus.

Rosemarie- My mom's name. Also GR are my Dad's initials

Anne- a form of DH's mom's name

Katerina Adriana Rose "Kaia"

Katerina- named after DH's sister who passed away. His sister went by Kathy but we wanted DD to be her own person and not compared to his sister so we pulled the K A I A out of her name and 80% of the time we call her Kaia.

Adriana- DH's mom's name

Rose- A form of my mom's name

Both girls have middle names honoring both Grandma's

Katerina 01/10/07 Gabriella 12/29/09 2012 2013
April 26th, 2010, 07:55 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had another name picked out (Claire Marie), but an ex-friend stole it, after she found out that was the name I was planning to use. I know we could have still used it, but I honestly did not want any memory of her connected with my baby.

I think we both had seen and liked the name Grace. Once we talked about it, we decided we really liked it.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

April 26th, 2010, 08:04 AM
peggums27's Avatar Luv my girls
Mia - my fav girl name
Hope- dh's decesed mothers middle name

Peggy ~ Mom to~ Alexa 07-13-00 Rennon (RIP) 05-26-07 Mia 12-10-09

And I can't breathe without you, but I have to breathe, without you, I have to
April 26th, 2010, 08:24 AM
2Reasons2Smile's Avatar Love my little family <3
Ethan David William

Ethan- I knew a guy in high school with this name and just really liked it and dh liked it too

David- family name (dh's middle name and fil's first name)

William- my grandfathers first name on my moms side.

Brennan Eric Edward

Brennan- family friends name (specifically my dads best friends sons name)

Eric- Dh's first name and fil middle name (see a trend yet ds#1 "should" have been David Eric but my ex is named David so not a fan of having my son with the same name (I have nothing against the name though just had to date a David before dh)

Edward- Grandfathers first name on my dads side
April 26th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
okay... dont laugh...or flame us as mean parents!!! lol...

Mathieu Darrien..

we both really liked mathieu after we had our daughter.. it was our boy name. (and well.. we hate making decisions\, so it seemed natural to use that name!!) and

darrien.... is the name of Pauls charactor on WoW..... seriously... i like it though, i love the name darrien.. but.. yea.. thats what he goes by...

Christian Brandon... Christian was the top boy name we both loved growing up so of course thats what we chose.. and brandon is my hubbys middle name..

and Kaitlyn elizabeth... our top girl name and we just felt elizabeth went well with kaitlyn....

we dont do family names of anyone other than DH and myself (and i hate my name!) too much bickering over whos name we used... do we like them more?? (yes... our families are THAT immature!)
kaitlyn 3
Mathiue lil baby!

April 26th, 2010, 08:45 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
Chester- my dad and paternal grandfather
James- DH's first name.

April 26th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Niamh ૐ's Avatar Green Mama Goddess
Send a message via AIM to Niamh ૐ Send a message via MSN to Niamh ૐ Send a message via Yahoo to Niamh ૐ
(copy and pasted from my blog):

Dhabolt, our last name is pronounced DAY-bolt.

Our daughter's name is Rhiannon Caoimhe Siobhan Dhabolt, and we will call her Rain for short. I'm a fan of those hippy/earthy names (Rain, Skye, Forrest, River, etc), but prefer traditional Celtic names for my children. With Rhiannon, I get a name that is Celtic (Welsh) and has a lot of meaning to us... AND I get to use my guilty pleasure of hippy/earthy names as a nickname: Rain.

Rhiannon is pronounced ree-ANN-en. Rhymes with the name Shannon, except instead of the "sh", it's a "ree" sound. So instead of sh-annon (Shannon) it's ree-annon (Rhiannon). Technically, it's more like "hree" instead of "ree", but the former is just slightly different and being in the states, it'll end up sounding like the latter anyways... so I'm sticking with "ree". Rhiannon is Welsh and means "great queen" and is the name of the Welsh goddess of fertility and the moon. She is also seen as a goddess of horses because of the white horse she rides. She also happens to be my matron goddess. So this name has a lot of spiritual meaning for me. Secondly, this also happens to be the name of my favorite Fleetwood Mac song.

Caoimhe is Irish and pronounced KEE-vuh. In the Irish Gaelic language, "c" is always a "k" sound, "aoi" makes an "ee" sound, "mh" usually makes a "v" sound, and the "e" at the end is an "uh" sound. Putting that together, in the Irish language, Caoimhe=KEE-vuh makes perfect sense. Caoimhe means "beautiful" and is the feminine form of Kevin. Kevin is Anglicized... the original form was Caoimhin (KEE-veen). Caoimhe is the female form. It's an extremely common name in Ireland... I believe in the top 10-20 most popular names there. Why did I choose this name? Simply because I love it. It's my favorite female name... I like the sound of it and the look. I think it's a beautiful name with a, well, beauftiful meaning. ;-) However, because of it's very difficult pronunciation, this name is middle-name-only material.

Siobhan is also Irish and is pronounced sha-VAWN. In Irish Gaelic, "si" makes an "sh" sound, and the "bh" (just like "mh") often makes a "v" sound. The name is the Irish form of Joan, Jeanne, Joanne, Jehanne, etc... which are all feminine forms of John. This name is chosen for familial significance. There are many Johns on my husband's side of the family and this is our way to honor them in our daughter's name. Plus, I love the name. :-)

Rhiannon Caoimhe Siobhan Dhabolt, aka Rain.

---------------------

Our son's name is Seamus Padraig Scott Dhabolt.

Seamus is pronounced SHAY-mus. In the Irish language, "se" (just like "si") makes an "sh" sound... just like in the name Sean. It's the Irish form of James and his name has particularly sentimental meaning for me. He is named after my best friend (James... Jim) who died in 2004. Jim was the only witness at me and my husband's wedding ceremony, AND the ceremony took place on Jim's birthday. He was a very important person to me and Seamus is named after him. I also just simply love the name Seamus.

Padraig is pronounced paw-dreg, though when said fast, it sounds a lot like Patrick. It is, you guessed it, the Irish form of Patrick. This name was chosen simply because I have ALWAYS loved the name Patrick, and I love the Irish spelling even more. This also has an unintended family connection. Trisha is a name in my family and it is a nickname for Patricia... Patricia is the feminine form of Patrick. So in an unintended way, Seamus' first middle name is after me.

Scott has obvious pronunciations... but for the sake of consistancy... it is pronounced like SKAHT. It is English and Scottish and means... "a Scotsman", lol. The origin of the name has been debated, but many etymological experts trace it back to meaning "tattoo" and the Scottish got their name because of the tattoos that they were known to have in ancient times (think a blue tattooed Mel Gibson in "Braveheart", lol). Why was this name chosen? Because Scott is my maiden name. :-) It's as simple as that. I have always felt a connection to my maiden name and while I was happy to take my husband's name, I still wanted to honor my previous name through my first son. So Seamus' second middle name is my maiden name. ;-) (and just so we have a connection to my husband's side... Scott also happens to be my brother-in-law's middle name *wink*).

Seamus Padraig Scott Dhabolt.

April 26th, 2010, 08:53 AM
KtKuKi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Madeline was just a random name we threw around. DH loved it and then it turned out to be his great-grandmothers name, so that was a nice coincidence. For the middle name the only name we thought sounded alright was Marie, but I wasn't naming her that b/c its MIL's middle name. I always liked Grace, and thought it sounded good, so we went with it. I would have loved for Grace to be the first name, but the people I used to work for had an obnoxious dog named Gracie and I was constantly yelling at her, so I couldn't bring my self to name her that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search