Difference between Oxytocin and Pitocin?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 10th, 2010, 08:50 AM
LG1385's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Or are they the same thing?

I'm just curious, as I plan on avoiding induction at all costs, but my Dr. said they use Oxytocin if "necessary". So I'm just wondering if it is the same thing, or what the differences are. No, I didn't ask her, I'm not that on the ball.

May 10th, 2010, 09:09 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oxytocin is the naturally occurring hormone that is released during labor, breastfeeding and during orgasm. Your doctor will be giving you Pit, OBs consider it the same thing but it isn't. Pit is evil! There is no need to augment your labor but most docs will. Docs will put you on a schedule of 1cm an hour, If you don't make that they are trained to "help you out". It isn't necessary and it leaves them feeling in control of a situation that didn't need controlled in the first place.

May 10th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Charizomai's Avatar Mommy to Three!
Oxytocin is the bodys natural "Pitocin" Basically. You can get this by using Nipple Stimulation.

Oxytocin is the hormone and neurochemical produced in the body by the pituitary gland. It's released in waves to speed the baby through the birth canal. Pitocin is an artifical form, administered as a steady drip during medicalized labor or to induce labor

Doctors use Pitocin, which I agree with the above Poster. Although Nipple Stimulation can cause some very PAINFUL contractions, the PITOCIN can cause them to be MORE painful. I was given Pit on BOTH of my previous pregnancies, and I consider myself extremely lucky, because w/my first labor, My water broke at home and I didnt feel ANYTHING, no contractions, not until his head was crowning (still not sure how that was possible). but with my 2nd they induced me using Pit and right away I thought I was dying. (im serious, it was that bad) but its not the same for everyone!

If you KNOW you are going to be induced, I'd try the Nipple Stimulation the night before to get your contractions started:

Nipple Stimulation to Induce Labor

I happily Breastfed Alba for 5 1/2 months!!!!

Below is my weightloss ticker. This is not for the pregnancy weight to come off as it has pretty much all came off. The rest of it is just what I've been wanting to loose for a while now to get back to my healthier weight!

May 10th, 2010, 09:37 AM
hey there elizabeth's Avatar Johnathon's Mommy<3
Breast pump induces well, so Ive heard.

And also when you are given pitocin, if the doc/nurse whoever pumps it up a certain amount, they know it CAN & WILL make the babies heart drop within an hour and you will be back in OR getting sliced.
Its the perfect way for OBs to get that 4 grand for a c section. when really, you body in like 95% of women will labor fine naturally.

^^ Thanks Niamh!!!<3

May 10th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Ditto to the other ladies, its pitocin he plans on giving you to speed up your labor. I personally would never allow my dr to give it to me, but that probably goes without saying since I'm planning my second home birth....

I did have Pitocin with my first birth and that stuff was really the devil... it does NOT give you natural feeling contractions, it intensifies the pain so much... I don't know if you are planning on getting an epidural, but that can help with the pain of the pitocin. But the risks of pitocin just isn't the pain, its also the stress it causes on the uterus. Babies sometimes can't tolerate pitocin contractions and their heartrate can fluctuate a lot, and of course that can lead to an emergency c-section...

Basically what I'm saying is that pitocin can lead to other interventions and in some cases harm the baby. You obviously have to do what you feel is best, but I would personally never allow pitocin and would want to labor in my own time... and this is coming from someone who's BTDT, my natural labors were days long, but still much more manageable than my pitocin birth.

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
May 10th, 2010, 11:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Pitocin (synthetic oxytocin... which is also a poison at high enough doses) has not had any studies published on the effect it has on the baby, just an fyi.

Rebecca was induced after my water broke and no contractions happened after more than 24 hours, and I would NEVER do it again if I could help it. Seriously, I've already told DH that if my water breaks ahead of labour again, we will WAIT for labour and monitor for infection... no checks or anything so as not to introduce bacteria to the vagina... even if it takes a week for that labour to start, I WILL wait. But, if I ever did *NEED* pit again, *I* am going to be in charge of it, lol. If they turn it up without my say so, it's turning down again-- the machines aren't THAT complicated! And, if I say turn it off, they turn it off. I'm NOT doing another labour like Rebecca's was!
May 10th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Twinkle's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiskid1324 View Post
Pitocin (synthetic oxytocin... which is also a poison at high enough doses) has not had any studies published on the effect it has on the baby, just an fyi.

Rebecca was induced after my water broke and no contractions happened after more than 24 hours, and I would NEVER do it again if I could help it. Seriously, I've already told DH that if my water breaks ahead of labour again, we will WAIT for labour and monitor for infection... no checks or anything so as not to introduce bacteria to the vagina... even if it takes a week for that labour to start, I WILL wait. But, if I ever did *NEED* pit again, *I* am going to be in charge of it, lol. If they turn it up without my say so, it's turning down again-- the machines aren't THAT complicated! And, if I say turn it off, they turn it off. I'm NOT doing another labour like Rebecca's was!
That is exactly why I had pitocin with my first birth. I have been terrified in each subsequent pregnancy that I'll fall into a similar situation. However, I know that my midwives will let me go days after my water breaks as long as I don't have any risks or signs of infections. I'm much happier knowing that....

and of course the fact that with my last birth my water didn't break till about 2 seconds before Kate was born! LOL

Check out Justmommies Blogs!

Are you interested in hosting a chat? Or maybe setting up a chat time for your board? Send me a PM for openings and more information!!
May 10th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Unfortunately the licensing board here likes to take away the midwives licenses for all sorts of stupid reasons, so our midwife doesn't exactly allow the prolonged rupture... so I'm pretty sure we would tell her our suspicion, but we wouldn't test to see if it was amniotic fluid or not. Just monitor for any problems following. She can't be blamed for something she didn't *know*... right?

I'm absolutely terrified we're going to end up having to induce for one reason or another again with this baby, and I absolutely do NOT want an induction. Of course, there's the other matter of everyone telling me how much easier (and less painful?!) natural contractions are to deal with than ones with pit, and I almost wonder if I'll even realize I'm in labour until the baby is coming out!!
May 10th, 2010, 03:52 PM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hiskid1324, if you are going to end up at Sentra two things, my SIL went there and they wheren't really to keen on giving her pit which is good but at the same time made me have to scratch my head, and her daughter ended up MRSA. YAY for hospitals! I still think I will stay home.

Last edited by flitabout; May 10th, 2010 at 05:55 PM.
May 10th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Voodoo Lady's Avatar Latin & Greek Professor
Oxytocin causes contractions naturally whenever you do something that feels good - particularly orgasm, but it also happens during nipple stimulation, either sexual or by breastfeeding; however Pitocin is the man-made version, which can lead to complications by over-stimulating the uterus and leading to an increased chance of c-section.

May 10th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitabout View Post
hiskid1324, if you are going to end up at Sentra two things, my SIL went there and they wheren't really to keen on giving her pit which is good but at the same time made me have to scratch my head, and her daughter ended up MRSA. YAY for hospitals! I still think I will stay home.
We're planning a homebirth, so hopefully not ending up at any hospital. Most of the hospitals in the area are Sentara hospitals though, and then I believe Sentara is own or run or something like that by Bon Secour. We planned a homebirth last time and it didn't happen due to the water breaking.

My midwife transfers to the adult hospital connected to the children's hospital in this area if there is time (ie, not a life-and-death emergency). The hospital she prefers is quite anti-cesareans and much more open to alternatives... they even are willing to do vaginal breech deliveries, which is hard to find in VA!... but I don't like hospitals at all anyway, lol...
May 11th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oxytocin is a normal hormone your body makes. Pitocin is a synthetic version of that hormone.
There is no need to use pitocin to move your labor along or to make you labor better. Doctor's are impatient.
Pitocin makes your uterus contract harder than your body is naturally capable of doing, and the contractions get stronger and closer together.
When they are so strong and don't let up, baby is being squeezed and can't get enough oxygen. That is when the baby goes into distress and you end up in an emergency c-section.

It doesn't always happen, but it happens too frequently.
You do have a right to refuse any treatment! Remember that!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search