Luke Christopher's Birth Story

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 19th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, with a month and a half of bedrest, I shouldn't have been suprised that Luke decided to come a few weeks early! But my doc had scheduled my induction for next Thursday, May 27th.

Monday morning, May 17th, I had an 8:30am ultrasound to check AFI. That revealed that my fluid was very low. Out of the four pockets they measured, only one pocket actually had fluid in it. Then the doc checked my cervix and I was 3cm dilated and 80% effaced. So off to the hospital he sent me.

I was checked in right away and given my room. I changed in my gown and settled into the bed, waiting for DH to arrive. My nurses (who were WONDERFUL) started my IV line and slowly started the pitocin drip. They doubled the amount every 20 minutes. Contractions started FAST! And they were coming so close together and so intense. I decided to go ahead and get the epidural. I wasn't ever NOT going to get it, but I did want to wait until the contractions were very intense. It took them about 15 minutes to administer that. I had already had an epi with DD, so I knew what to expect. It wasn't bad at all and was so happy when it kicked in!

Well, I am so glad I asked for the epidural when I did! My nurse had said that I would probably deliver after dinnertime. DH said no, I would deliver by the afternoon. So they had a little wager going! After the epi was in, the nurse checked my cervix because I felt SO much pressure. I was already dilated to a six! It wasn't 20 minutes later I was at a ten! The nurse called my ob over (office is across the street from the hospital) and I was in stirups when he walked in the room. I pushed three times and out came Luke!

I couldn't have asked for a better labor! He was born at 3:29 pm and weighed 6bs, 6 oz, with a length of 19 inches.

Now, that being said about a wonderful birth and labor, I did have 3rd degree tears again. But other than that, it was perfect!

I was able to donate the cord blood and that took no time at all on my end. I only had to sign 12 forms LOL. But they came right after I delivered and waited in the corner and didn't distrupt the birthing process at all.

The big shock was Luke's hair! It was DARK and there was a lot of it. By dark, I mean BLACK. The shock is that both me and DH are blonde! LOL But his eyebrows are blonde, so I think his hair will turn. I love it, I don't care!

I was able to keep Luke with me for about an hour, and they took him to the nursery. DH went with him.

I was transferred to another hospital room and waited for DH and Luke to return. DH returned without Luke and said they were running more tests because his blood sugar was low. To me, it sounded okay and not scary. After DH returned to Luke, I made the horrible mistake of googling it on my Blackberry. I kept seeing it causes irreversable brain damage and I was freaking out. My nerves were shot.

But his results kept fluctuating! They would seem normal, and then drop down again. They weren't able to bring him to me until after it was figured out. They had to go ahead and give him formula. I had decided a long time ago I was going to FF anyways, but the last month we decided I would give pumping a try due to the cost savings. But my milk never came in with DD, so I was not going to be devasted if it didn't work.

At 8:30pm that night they FINALLY brought him to me. But it was only for me to try to nurse and then they took him back. About 2am, they FINALLY brought him back to me, but said they would have to take him back for more testing. With that test, it showed the levels being too low, so they decided it had gone on too long and they would have to admit him to the NICU. I was devasted. But they decided to run one more level and that came back good so they were able to keep him in the regular nursery.

Anyways, they finally got 3 great levels back and said he was fine! I was so relieved. So from Tuesday morning about 10am to when we were discharged, he was with us in our room, aside from weighing him.

He is borderline jaundice, so they set up an appt for me to take him to our pediatrican on Friday morning to check his levels one more time.

I can't say enough good things about my nurses, from the delivery room to the post partum room. They were so fantastic and def. made the experience so much better!

Pumping isn't working out too well, but i continue to pump every 3 hours since I know my milk (if it comes in) may not come in till tomorrow.

I will try to get pics up tonight. I deleted my photobucket account so now I have to set another one up, I guess.

Sorry this is a novel!
May 20th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats! Welcome to the world Luke Christopher!

May 20th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Mama Chemist 73's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like a great labor. I'm glad you both are doing well. Welcome Luke!

My Ovulation Chart
May 20th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on the birth - I am so glad his sugar levels ended up being okay

Josh and Kim - proud parents to Byron, Elijah, Abigail, Connor, Kara, and Baby
May 20th, 2010, 11:00 PM
tasheroo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats! Seems like it was a great birth experience!

May 21st, 2010, 03:04 AM
momtothe3rdpower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow for a quick L and D! That must have been a shock to have it all go so FAST!
May 21st, 2010, 06:52 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on your new little man!

May 21st, 2010, 12:20 PM
Super Mommy
What a good labor story! Welcome to the world Luke!
May 22nd, 2010, 03:39 PM
Loving6's Avatar Formerly Loving4
Congratulations!!!!

Mom to Dustin Jr, Jarren, Nathan, Alivia, Ava, & Ariea

May 25th, 2010, 07:38 AM
LG1385's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great story! I am glad you are both doing well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search