Chance's Birth story

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 6th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Shellybaby3's Avatar Super Mommy
CHANCE AUSTINS BIRTH STORY
So I am a little behind, life has been hectic the past few months. I am going to try and fit SO much in a rather short post. Please excuse any grammatical mistakes my mind is so jumbled I don't think I will think straight for a long time after everything that has happened to us the past few months.

After three months of living in the hospital fighting a bowel obstruction getting fed intravenously through multiple ports, piccs, and central lines. The doctors decided enough was enough when my last central line became infected. They scheduled a Ultrasound to see if Chance was breech and if not then they would do an amnio to check on the development of his lungs. Now he had been head down the entire time, well that was until 3 weeks prior when he decided he liked putting his head into my ribs instead. This was of course my luck, it would look like things were going my way when BOOM something else would happen and change all that. So my Dr's were hoping he had moved back into a laboring position and that all the steroid shots would have been beneficial in helping to develop his lungs at the young age of 34 gestational weeks. I did everything I could think of that week in oder to get Chance to switch positions. I used the Spinning babies website for direction on how to get him to move. I concentrated mainly on the Breech tilt and the Inversion. I was also told by one of the doctors that applying a bag of ice (or frozen pees) would work if placed at the top of my stomach; it's said that the baby won't like the cold and will move in order to get away from the cold. Well I'm not sure which of those was the trick but I lucked out and Chance had moved back into the head down position. So we preceded with the amnio. After a day we learned that his lungs were in fact ready for delivery. We started cervical meds that day. We did a medication that I later learned at times had some unfavorable outcomes so I had them switch me to cervadil. I began to labor within hours of the first dose of medication. The start of all this was Tuesday, May 11th at around 1 pm. At around 1 am on Wednesday they moved me to the labor and delivery floor and began the pitocin. At around 10am on Wednesday they had me on the full dose of pitocin that they could have me on until they broke my water. Around this time a doctor came in and started to explain that usually around this time the mothers would ask for an epidural. I began to tell him I didn't need one yet when he shushed me so he could continue. He than started to explain that my platelet levels were FAR to low and I would be UNABLE to receive an epidural. GAH !@!$ but #($* uh #$ my mind couldn't comprehend this information. Labor NATURALLY??!?! Oh man you have to be kidding I can't get an epidural and I am going to be on pitocin?! I SO wasn't prepared for that!
So I started to wrap my mind around the idea that I would be doing this naturally. I finally made peace with it. At around 5pm on Wednesday I still hadn't progressed beyond 3cm. My family all went home and I was made to sit on a labor ball for 20 minutes of every hour. My back was hurting and I really didn't want too. The only thing that I wanted to do was sit in a bath tub. They wouldn't let me because according to them it would stall labor. I was speechless, I didn't realize that my labor wasn't ALREADY stalled. I labored all day Thursday and Friday at about 4 am I was woken by my nurse to tell me platelets had finally come up enough and I could receive an epidural and would I like one?! I jumped up and practically screamed I did! Within minutes I had received my epidural. I was laying back down and I was finally feeling relief for the first time in days (felt like years). Around 7am they can in and the baby was finally engaged enough that they were able to break my water. So they did and Jeremy then called my family to let them know that I was now 4cm and they had broken my water, which had meconium (not a real big surpise considering I had been laboring so long). We all at that time thought labor would actually begin to pick up. Well long story short about 3 hours labor I still had made no progress the epi was no longer working and they couldn't restick me because my platelets were once again too low so not only could they not replace it they also couldn't remove mine (when platelets are low placing or removing an epidural aren't possible for fear of creating a hematoma). At this point it had been 72 hours I only progressed a total of 3 cm since the start and I was tired. I just didn't feel I had anything left in me (remember I have also been in a hospital bed and haven't eaten real food for THREE months) "my body is just too weak" I explained. They began to remind me why it is we don't want a c-section. The risks involved to myself and the baby. I quite possibly am going to start a whole new list of problems by having ANOTHER abdominal surgery. I explained that it would be stupid to wait until Chance was in distress to begin an emergency c-section. It was clear to me that I wasn't going to be delivering Chance vaginally (my body just wasn't ready for labor) we were trying to start something that nature was supposed to start. I then reiterated to the doctor the reasons why we hadn't wanted to do a c-section aside from the future risks. They were worried about doing the c-section because they KNEW I was filled with lots and lots of scar tissue that would be dangerous to be cutting through because of the things it might be attatched too. I then exclaimed why wait and be cutting in an emergency situation when we pretty much now KNOW that this is where it's going to end up. I only had so many more hours that I was going to be allowed to labor until a c-section was needed anyhow. I finally won the arguement and then scheduled my c-section for a couple hours from then.

Chance was born via C-section at 5:08 pm on May 14th 2010. He was 34w 3d gestational age, he weighed 5lbs 8ounces. He was taken to the NICU only because of his prematurity. They also wanted to monitor him for possible addiction from the pain medications they had me on the last three months of my pregnancy.

It was three days until I was able to be taken down to the NICU to see him for the first time (wow was I ever emotional) I was devastated it took so long before I was able to see my son in person and NOT just in pictures. I was in too critical of a state to be able to go down and see him. You see after the safely got Chance out of me they then had another 5 hours of surgery in order to fix what had been going on internally. I had a bowel obstruction (which we hoped would resolve itself after delivery) they soon knew that wouldn't have ever happened. There was a 4 in around obstruction which had also flipped and kinked itself. They said it was very close to rupturing from the kink it had made in itself. They had to cut a large amount of the obstruction out completely. I also had my tubes tide while they were there.

Now for the hard part- Chance was born with a Port Wine Stain. Most PWS are either located on the face or on the body. Hardly every both. Also it's usually only located on one side of the body. Chance has it on both. His face has a VERY large PWS on his right side. His butt has a PWS on both cheeks. Then his calfs and feet BOTH have PWS. The Doctors here said that they have never quite seen anything like it. They asked if I would sign a release so they could photograph Chance, because this is a teaching & research hospital. So whatever it turns out that he has they will use the photographs to teach about it. Today at 2pm they took Chance to get an MRI because they aren't sure if he possibly has Sturge-Weber syndrome, I could use all the prayers in the world right now. We have been on a very long and bumpy road and right now I am so scared that my son may have something very seriously wrong with his mental capabilities. I pray that it's just a PWS. Even if that is the case our road ahead is still long, but it's one I am more prepared for then the Sturge-Weber syndrome.

Aside from the set backs I am so happy, I am so blessed. My son is absolutely amazing. I am so in awe of him everytime we are together I can hardly catch my breath because of the amazing sense of love I have for him and my daughter. I know that the road that got us here was not one made of ease and comfort. It was made of tears and hardship, but even so I wouldn't trade anything that happened that has gotten us here. There is an amazing story behind my last labor and my youngest child. There is a story about my fiance' and daughter, one that never would have been written with out this crazy road we have been on. I know God does things in his own way for his own reasons even when we don't understand why or we can't agree. It's sometimes so hard to understand, and sometimes I get mad. Then I look back and see some purpose a huge sense of value in what we have survived. Our entire family is now eternally stronger and are more united then ever. So although we seemed to have been dealt a tough hand, we are stronger because of it. This doesn't however mean that I am not ready for a break, that I can't help but pray that Chance is ok and it's just a very large and harsh birth mark that we are dealing with.

Thank you all for reading my 5 hour post. I know there is probably too much written here but it's something that I intend on keeping and printing and putting in the baby book. I may retouch a bit of this but it's going to be the baseline of what has happened the past couple months.

Now I hope to post in a few days that Chance is nothing other than a healthy premature baby. We should also hopefully be going home together tomorrow if all goes as planned!

Thank you ladies- PS- Yes I am finally eating REAL food again. It's the most AMAZING thing ever! I don't think I will ever take food for granted again!

[

Last edited by Shellybaby3; June 6th, 2010 at 12:06 AM.
June 6th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Boble's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
what a tough road you have had! Im sorry to hear that your labour was so so long!!! but Chance is just gorgeous! I hope you get some good news re his health soon x

Thank you kiliki for my gorgeous siggy!
June 11th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Mama Chemist 73's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You have been through so much. I hope Chance just has a birthmark and everything else is great. You do deserve a break.

My Ovulation Chart
June 13th, 2010, 11:23 AM
RuPaul-O-Saurus's Avatar Super Mommy
All I can say is wow! You and your family went through so much to get your little man into this world. Though extremely tough, your story is amazingly inspirational, and for any woman who thinks they can't do something (whatever it may be) all they need to do is take a look at you and see that they can do anything! You fought a tough journey to get where you are, I hope nothing but joy and health for you, Chance and the rest of your family. Congratulations and enjoy your newest little blessing.

Kelly, you are amazing and I love you! Thank you for the awesomely cute siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search