5-W by Nature's Way

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 9th, 2010, 07:49 AM
kawohilani's Avatar Super Mommy
I was talking to my Aunt yesterday, who has been a midwife for many years, and asked her about what I could do/take to help prepare for labor. She said she gives 5-W by Nature's Way to all of her "moms". She said it has herbs in it that are believed to balance female hormones and help pregnant women have better, more effective labors and not go "over-due". I plan on ordering some today to start taking in 3 weeks and just thought I'd pass this along for anyone that is interested.

Here is what online says:
5-W (which stands for 5 weeks) is an herbal blend that supplies nutrients supportive to the female glandular and reproductive systems and should be taken during the last five weeks of pregnancy.

Benefits:
• Supports glandular system.
• Supports reproductive system.
• Nutrients for vitality.

The formula contains iron for the blood and for vitality, manganese to support body tissues, and selenium to assist in healthy tissue growth.

This combination includes: Black cohosh root, squaw vine herb, dong quai root, butcher's broom root and red rasberry leaves.
June 9th, 2010, 09:21 AM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
Blue and black cohosh can stimulate contractions. I would definitely NOT recommend taking anything that contains them prior to 38 or so weeks.

Dandelion, nettles, red raspberry and alfalfa are usually better alternatives for gentle herbal tonics during late pregnancy.

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
June 9th, 2010, 09:27 AM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
Squaw root is also known as blue cohosh:
The knotty, branching rhizome and roots of this native American plant were sought out by many Indian tribes. They harvested the underground parts in late fall and ground them into a powder, which they used as a remedy for rheumatism, colic, bronchitis, and menstrual cramps. But they especially prized blue cohosh as a parturient (an aid in childbirth). For a week or two before the expected date of delivery, pregnant women drank an infusion of the powdered roots in warm water to induce rapid and relatively painless labor. (It was not taken earlier in pregnancy, because it might have brought on a miscarriage.) Early settlers also used the roots as a parturient and dubbed the plant squawroot and papoose root.

The herbalists who gathered and prepared blue cohosh learned to treat it with caution, because they found that blue cohosh tends to irritate the skin and mucous membranes, especially when it is powdered.

Like raspberry leaves and black cohosh, blue cohosh has both stimulating and relaxing properties which facilitate childbirth. Blue cohosh produces contractions which are regular and effective, interspersed with a good relaxation period.

From Blue Cohosh

Dong Quai:
Precautions:
You should not drink the essential oil of dong quai because it contains a small amount of cancer-causing substances.

Dong quai should not be used by those who have chronic diarrhea or abdominal bloating.

People who are at risk of hormone-related cancers, including breast, ovarian, and uterine cancers, should not take dong quai because researchers aren't sure if it has estrogen-like effects.

Side Effects
Dong quai, particularly at high doses, may increase your sensitivity to sunlight and cause skin inflammation and rashes. Stay out of the sun or use sunscreen while taking dong quai.

Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
Dong quai should not be used during pregnancy because it may cause the uterus to contract and raise the risk of miscarriage. Nursing mothers should avoid dong quai because information on its safety is lacking.

Butchers Broom:
CONTRAINDICATIONS . Consumption of butcher's broom is not recommended in the presence of hypertension or during pregnancy. Sparteine may increase uterine contraction and thus is not recommended when hypertension or pregnancy is present.

From: Butcher's Broom Herb - What Is Butchers Broom Used For?

It really sounds like this is a 'labor' mixture to help bring on stronger contractions or help induce labor. I would be VERY careful about taking such a potent mixture before your baby and body are ready!

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
June 9th, 2010, 09:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've narrowly missed (by hours) two inductions due to going over my date. I'll look into it more. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by ZZ0607; June 9th, 2010 at 09:38 AM.
June 9th, 2010, 10:09 AM
kawohilani's Avatar Super Mommy
My Aunt has delivered hundreds of babies and has been a midwife for many many years - so I trust her 100%. She gives this to all her "moms". I wouldn't recommend doing anything as I am no expert. But, I trust her 100%. And I believe none of this stuff will "induce" labor. It may help if your body is ready....but if your body isn't ready...it's not going to push you into labor. Just my opinion.

This 5-W is made to start taking at 35 weeks.

Last edited by kawohilani; June 9th, 2010 at 10:14 AM.
June 9th, 2010, 10:47 AM
jess sanchez's Avatar yay baby boy
there are so many conflicting reports about herbs on the internet..its really up to the individual..some people swear by them others seem to think they are harmful..they are not regulated so it's hard to ever know if there aren't proven situations...i personally think that if u are a person who's body can handle it it is probably beneficial because midwives/other cultures have been using them for centuries of healthy natural births..i'm sure there are people with allergic/negative reactions too..i have been drinking rrl tea and since i have braxton hicks have gone away totally when they were coming every night and semi-painful
June 9th, 2010, 12:08 PM
M-n-MsMama0510's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with PP its to each persons body how it will be accepted... If its a 5-W mix already theres a very low chance im sure of actually starting labor. unlike if you took the one herbal by itself and took alot of it. Anything can cause cancer these days

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search