Gabriel Anthony's due date arrival

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 11th, 2010, 11:53 AM
kellysensei's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had my membranes stripped on June 4th and it must have worked...I woke up around 8:45 on June 5 and immediately started having contractions with waves of back pain every five minutes or so. I thought they were just BH contractions but the pain got worse and worse; within an hour I had to concentrate through each wave and by 11:00 I was on my hands and knees for most of them. We called the doctor at noon and were told to go to Labor and Delivery. We threw a couple last items into our hospital bag and raced out the door, arriving at the hospital around 12:30. They brought us to a room right away and checked me; I was 2+ cm and 90% effaced, which was a definite change from yesterday.

We walked around the maternity floor for about 30 minutes and I had to stop and lean against the wall with each contraction so DH could rub my back. I never did have any real cramping, just the back labor. I laid back down in the room and moaned and grimaced through each contraction while DH continued to rub my back. The next time they checked me I was at 3cm and 100% effaced.

At 2:45 my water broke on its own and I gushed clear fluid everywhere. I was 4-5 cm at that point and in much pain, so I opted for the epidural. The anesthesiologist was there within minutes and the placement of the epi went fast and came with quick relief. The only downside was that now that I was hooked up to IVs and stuff, I couldn’t get out of bed or even sit up, really; I was stuck on my left side for the next almost seven hours because Baby’s heart rate fluctuated too much when I laid on my right side. My parents arrived just after my water broke and the rest of my family trickled in just after I got the epi.

The next several hours were painless but uncomfortable from not being able to move much. I was allowed sips of water and the suckers I had brought with. The next checks I was at 6, then 7, then 8, then 10 cm at 8:30. The epidural had slowed down progress a bit (to be expected) so I was given a minimal amount of pitocin around 7:45 to get me complete. It worked but I think it was around then I vomited for the first time.

The baby was still at 0 station, I think, so they wanted me to “labor down” for a while before starting to push. They had me start to push at 9:35 which was probably too early, in retrospect. Pushing was difficult and exhausting, and it didn’t help that my legs and feet were numb by that point. DH held my left leg and a nurse held my right leg up. It seemed to go on forever; I could only push during contractions, of course, and they had slowed a bit to 3-4 minutes apart. I was given a second round of pitocin to get the contractions closer together again. After every few rounds of pushing I had to stop and vomit; I felt awful. At some point the nurse had me reach down to feel Baby’s head inside of me.

Around 10:45 or so the baby was at +2 station and the doctor was finally paged. Baby’s heart rate went way down and then way up, so they had me stop pushing and just lay on my left side again until the doctor got there at 11:15. DH said later he was worried they were going to do an emergency C-section but it never crossed my mind at the time. The doctor did an episiotomy as soon as she got there; I don’t remember if it was because I was already tearing or if it was obvious I was going to tear. It was a midline cut, whatever that means. Then it was back to pushing and it was so hard, even though by this time I could feel him getting close and I had urges to push. I remember it being an unreal time, this pushing, amazed that I had seen this part so many times in movies and shows and now I was doing it. But I was near total exhaustion and practically hyperventilating because it had started to hurt. I was also starting to cry because of the intensity of it all. I think she could tell I was getting weak and asked if she could use the vacuum. I told her yes because at that point I didn’t care; I just wanted him out. So with a vacuum assist on the last push, my son Gabriel Anthony Canaan was born at 11:52PM on June 5, 2010, making his due date by eight minutes.

She suctioned his nose and mouth as soon as his head came out and I remember thinking “can’t you do that in ten seconds; just pull him out!” He was placed on my chest once he was all out; I had expected to be really emotional but I was so tired and out of it that all I could do was stare at him. DH did end up cutting the umbilical cord, something he previously said he wouldn’t do. It was a pretty long cord – looked to be about two feet – and I heard later it was wrapped around his neck and body but very loosely. Gabe’s apgar scores were 8 and 9.

Everyone agrees that Gabriel definitely looks like DH, although his hair is closer to my color. He is cute and perfect except for a small skin tag in front of each ear that will have to be removed.

We were discharged from the hospital at 9PM on Monday, June 7 to begin our new life as a family.

Evan James (2/18/12) and Gabriel Anthony (6/5/10)

Last edited by kellysensei; June 12th, 2010 at 04:26 PM. Reason: ETA photos
June 11th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Mama Chemist 73's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulatons on Gabriel. I love his name. Sounds like a great birth story...and on his due date too!

My Ovulation Chart
June 12th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Boble's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
congrats on your little mans arrival!

Thank you kiliki for my gorgeous siggy!
July 3rd, 2010, 12:10 PM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats!!
July 3rd, 2010, 01:52 PM
mommykristina's Avatar mommy to 3!!
Send a message via AIM to mommykristina
congrats! he's a cutie!