More than just baby fat...

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 21st, 2010, 11:35 AM
CanadianLou's Avatar Laura - mom of 3
I am happy to see this up!!

But ....I have much more than just baby fat to lose. I gained about 35lbs when I was pregnant and I have lost about 20 of that so far, but after that I have sooo much weight to lose, like over 100lbs. I have to be honest I haven't tried to lose much after the baby, haven't put much effort into it and I really need to. I'm starting to feel yucky.

In the past I have tried so many things and some I cannot do while breast feeding. Weight Watchers, Herbal Magic, all types of diets, Isagenix, My Ali, Meridia, regular gym memberships, curves, and My food Diary .com.

One of fav. things was my food diary.com (My Food Diary - Online Calorie Counter w/ Diet Journal & Exercise Log - Free Trial), and I'm thinking of doing it again. I think I have un-healthy eating ingrained in me from childhood or something.

I feel sort of out of place with most of you not needing to lose much and enjoying working out etc. I really dis-like it, and I find it hard to eat really healthy too. But I have sooooooo many reasons to try to change my lifestyle. #1 being my kids and the fact that my dad died at 41 of a heart attack.

Is anyone else close to being in the same boat as me? A lot most to lose than 20-30lbs?

Thank you Meganpixel for the most fantastic siggy!

June 21st, 2010, 11:54 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
I'm sort of in the same place as you are. I've never been one to care much about my weight. I don't diet or work out. Nor do I really like to honestly. I weighed 218 when I got pregnant with Kaija and wasn't that concerned about it. Fortunately I lost 25 lbs. and what I gained back came right off and stayed off. I was 188 after she was born. I was 188 when I got pregnant with Kolbie, gained 18 lbs. and was 188 after she was born. Apparently I'm stuck. So while I don't need to lose 100 lbs. I do need to be healthier. It's not vanity weight I need to lose because I'm relatively comfortable with how I look. I need to be healthy. I've got 2 little girls I love too much to let myself get complacent.
June 21st, 2010, 12:29 PM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My baby weight is all gone, but I have another 20-25 lbs to lose that is just fat. I'm not really dieting, but DH and I have both decided to change our eating habits. I don't think I realized how bad we were eating until I started to pay attention to the calories and fat content of our food. The big change for me is replacing soda and sweet tea with water and seltzer. I was probably drinking 500-700 calories a day. I also switched to Greek yogurt because it has zero fat, less calories and sugar, and tons of protein. We are trying to eat lots of veggies and fruits and reduce our portion sizes and we have stopped buying snack foods completely.

I don't like working out, but going for a long walk or doing 30 minutes on the treadmill a couple of nights a week is making a big difference
June 21st, 2010, 12:53 PM
Nice to see there are some ppl who 'get' where I am coming from. Mylene, we are a lot alike. Although I dont LOVE my body and I hate the way I look in pictures, I think I feel thinner than I really am because I just cannot believe that is me when I see a picture of myself. I'm not really really bothered by my weight (although it startig to border on bothering me) and my hubby loves me and is attracted to me the way I am, so this is not so much for esthetics (although it will be a plus), but for health reasons too.

Last year this time I dropped about 30-40lbs for my wedding. I was really watching what I ate so I can totally understand not realizing how many calories you are eating until you start to pay attention. Thing is know this now and just chose to not pay attention. I find the my food diary thing really helps with getting you to eat enough and the right kinds of foods and seeing what is good and what REALLY isn't.

I know a lot of people dont like to go the medication route, but my dr. suggested it and I tried Meridia and it worked so well for me. The down side is that it put up my blood pressure a bit, but it seems to get me over this emotional hurtle that keeps me eating. But I cannot do that while brest feeding and to be honest it does scare me some, and it is expensive. I'll re-evaluate that situation when I can. I am preparing myself to start this weight loss thing and jump on the band wagon. I'm so nervous about it because I've failed so much for the last 15 years at doing it.

June 21st, 2010, 03:32 PM
Jannell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well in addition to the 15 lbs of baby weight I still need to lose I'd like to lose 15 or 20 lbs.
June 21st, 2010, 04:17 PM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
Laura - Just wanted to say that we are here to support and encourage you to become an overall healthier person!! I have about 30 lbs to lose to be at my ideal weight. However, I believe having a healthy lifestyle is much more important than worrying about a # on the scale! But with a healthy lifestyle the # should start moving in the direction we all want!!!

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
June 21st, 2010, 04:54 PM
peaches84's Avatar Super Mommy
I also have more than baby fat to lose. I have always been overweight and now after having bp issues I don't feel like I got to enjoy my pregnancy, I was so worried about my bp nonstop that i've decided to change something. I have lost all baby weight, I started at 200lbs and am down to 195lbs (not by trying)

I would like to lose 40lbs at least but 60 would be better. I want to do this over 1.5 years before I get pregnant again.

I am doing weight watchers and it has worked in the past for me, being at home isn't good for me because I get bored and like to eat to pacify me. I go back to work next week so hopefully that gets better. I am also an emotional eater and that's how I got up to 200lbs, I wasn't a happy girl at the time and wasn't sure if my relationship to my then fiance would work out, it did of course and i'm in a much better place but it's amazing how it affects you.

I hate exercise, at least in the beginning eventually I enjoy it but usually when i'm more in shape and it isn't so hard. when I was in college I got down to 150lbs 140 for a brief period and I felt so good about myself and I exercised and I loved it. now not so much I hate it and feel so out of shape and it's too hard. I need to start slow and walk more and I find that just dancing around while cooking and cleaning etc helps out a lot.

6/15/13
June 21st, 2010, 10:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I also have over 100lbs to lose and I am so glad I have support here too. I have done diets. I am done doing diets... I need a lifestyle change. diets don't work for me, I gain back a ton.I feel good that I have lost almost 40lbs since the last day of my pregnancy. I had only gained 18 while pregnant, but I still have 100 to go. It seems overwhelming at times, and I think if we take it one bite at a time we can do it.

June 21st, 2010, 10:41 PM
Thank you so much everyone for the support! <3 Mean so much! I really hope I can do this!

Kelsey, I have never lost enough weight that I found working out to be enjoyable, but that is what everyone tells me. And for me being home is bad for me too and I'm on Mat. Leave til next year. eeekkk

Mandy, what have you been doing to lose the weight?

Gosh I wish this was easier.

June 22nd, 2010, 08:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Right now the only thing I've been doing is nursing, and trying to watch what I eat. My cousin graduated with her degree in nutrition and she is setting up an example weeks menu. She actually wants me to eat a lot more than I do right now. She said I have been under eatting. Also, none of my kids tolerate dairy, and we think Gracie might not be tolerating it when I eat it, so I have stopped eatting all dairy for now. It leaves my options limited and I don't eat unless it sounds good. But starting this week I am going to start walking atleast 20-30 min 3 times a week.

June 22nd, 2010, 08:28 AM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
I've studied a lot about nutrition because of my obsessive past with dieting, and I just wanted to comment on undereating. You might find that a woman weighing her ideal weight actually eats MORE than you do, just like Mandy's cousin said. When you take in too little calories, your body goes into starvation mode, and stores all your calories as fat---thus making it HARDER to lose the fat. This is why most diets don't work, unless you make them lifelong (which is usually not either healthy or possible). As soon as you stop the diet and start eating normally again, your body will store all the calories you're taking in, and you might end up gaining back more weight than you lost. This happened to me.

So, what you might find will help is eating more smaller meals a day (they suggest 6 small meals a day to boost one's metabolism and start losing weight), or grazing. Just make sure that the foods that you're eating are healthier for you, such as a whole-grain turkey sandwich with Miracle Whip (NOT mayonnaise) and mozzarella cheese. Add in lots of veggies and fruits to help keep you feeling full, and don't limit yourself to your veggies/fruits intake. You can't really overeat when it comes to consuming raw veggies and fruit, especially if you're eating all your other foods in moderation (and eating lots of veggies/fruits will cause you to eat in moderation, anyway, because they're so filling!).

I know that I'm rambling, but I just want to help you attain the health that you want! Just remember that, as long as you believe you're beautiful, then you are. Being healthy is what's really important, and some larger women are healthier than the wraiths who diet themselves sick. (((Hugs)))

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
June 22nd, 2010, 09:53 AM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I want to lose 65-75 lbs. I am 199 and want to be 135-125. I was at my ideal weight 6 years ago, but gained some after marriage then got pregnant at 148 with Lydia, and gained 60 lbs with her, then started my pregnancy with Jack at 175, and gained 55lbs with him. I have lost 16 lbs so far since 2 weeks PP and I am on WW Online. It is perfect for breastfeeding moms since it factors that into your daily points values. My goal is to lose 10 lbs a month, and be at my goal by my birthday next year (Jan 28, 2011).

June 22nd, 2010, 11:59 AM
Mrs_Hub's Avatar Veteran
I have 30 to 40 lbs that I want to lose. I always felt that it was a fight to keep my weight within reason let alone lose some... and then when I got pregnant. I kind of let it go and wound up gaining 25 extra pounds. I love running though, I ran all of the time before I got pregnant. It is much harder now, but I remember how good I felt so I am trying to get back in shape again.

I find that I struggle with emotional eating. If I am upset or overtired I start to eat and not care. Thats why I always make sure my refrigerator is stocked with healthy foods and never have any chips, cookies, or treats stashed away. Otherwise I go hunting for those and binge!

I want to get the bodybugg system but its a little pricey. I know seeing the numbers would definitely motivate me. It really is all about calories in calories out and making healthy choices.

I just found this sub forum today so I am going to try and stay in this with you ladies. The support is definitely important and I am here to help anyone as best as I can as well

June 23rd, 2010, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy1989 View Post
I've studied a lot about nutrition because of my obsessive past with dieting, and I just wanted to comment on undereating. You might find that a woman weighing her ideal weight actually eats MORE than you do, just like Mandy's cousin said. When you take in too little calories, your body goes into starvation mode, and stores all your calories as fat---thus making it HARDER to lose the fat. This is why most diets don't work, unless you make them lifelong (which is usually not either healthy or possible). As soon as you stop the diet and start eating normally again, your body will store all the calories you're taking in, and you might end up gaining back more weight than you lost. This happened to me.
Yeah, I realized this last year when I was using my food diary. It's crazy!! You can actually eat a lot of healthy food and lose weight. Honestly, and it's sad to say...most of the time I am not eating because I am hungry. I eat because suddenly I feel the urge, or because of emotions. I don't think I eat a WHOLE LOT...I just eat too much of the wrong kinds of foods, and that is what makes it hard for me. I know people must think I eat a TON becasue I'm so over weight. I admit, sometimes I can have a pretty big appetite, but for the most part my problem is the type of food I eat and when I eat it.

June 23rd, 2010, 10:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianLou View Post
Yeah, I realized this last year when I was using my food diary. It's crazy!! You can actually eat a lot of healthy food and lose weight. Honestly, and it's sad to say...most of the time I am not eating because I am hungry. I eat because suddenly I feel the urge, or because of emotions. I don't think I eat a WHOLE LOT...I just eat too much of the wrong kinds of foods, and that is what makes it hard for me. I know people must think I eat a TON becasue I'm so over weight. I admit, sometimes I can have a pretty big appetite, but for the most part my problem is the type of food I eat and when I eat it.
That is exactly my problem! And I totally understand about people assuming that you overeat.

June 23rd, 2010, 11:24 AM
crystal22's Avatar Veteran
I'm totally feeling that way too, I need to loose about 60-70 lbs from what I'm currently weighing and it's been hard on me just recently when I went shopping for new clothes and it seemed like nothing fit me right. A lot of people say oh it's just baby fat that needs to come off but really there's only about 20lbs left of "baby fat" which even that makes me cringe. I'd like to loose about 70 by January of 2012 so that way we can start trying for another baby around then.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search