new here =]

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 2nd, 2010, 07:43 AM
luvbugmama's Avatar Veteran
Hey girls! I am new to this site and i have some questions for y'all if u don't mind
I am exclusively breastfeeding and i heard that it burns about 500 calories a day but i'm not sure if this is true because it sure doesn't seem like it! I eat about 1500 calories a day and i cant seem to lose the weight at all. I feel like i look exactly like i did the day after i gave birth, and this was 11 weeks ago. So does anyone know how many calories you burn by making the breastmilk and how many calories do you eat a day? Thanks everyone!
July 2nd, 2010, 07:50 AM
Tiny Loves
BFing does burn calories around 500-700 calories a day. But you need to be eating healthy foods, not even really low calorie as long as it is healthy fats, proteins, and avoid heavy starches and carbs. Lots of water and veggies are best. Then exercising. BFing mama's are usually stuck with "fat reserves" because we need the energy to BF and to produce milk. Some though lose all the weight rapidly. You could consider upping the amount of calories you are eating. If you aren't consuming over 1000 calories a day you risk that your body thinks you are starving yourself and will not burn anything extra on your body. I would try a basic 1500 calorie diet (because you are burning at least 500 from BF). Building muscle will also help you lose weight, because you burn calories just by having them! Good luck.

PS- I can help a bit more if I know how tall, active, and heavy you are.

July 2nd, 2010, 08:04 AM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
I ditto what hellolove said: maybe you're not eating enough calories and your body has therefore went into starvation mode, storing everything as fat and thus making it hard to lose weight. The nutrition/weightloss site that I'm on (babyfit.com) wants me to be eating around 2100 calories a day (made up of healthy foods, of course), since breastfeeding does burn around 500-700 calories a day (if you're exclusively breastfeeding and not supplementing). That would mean that the rest of your body is running off of the difference of 1400-1600 calories, which is how much you should be getting if you were dieting and NOT breastfeeding. Does that make sense? So, since you're BF'ing, you need to be eating more in order to keep up your milk supply AND lose weight. Hope that helps!

ETA: Oh, and it also depends on how much you're exercising, in which case you might need to eat a little more or less. Can you give us an example of your typical day?

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!

Last edited by krissy1989; July 2nd, 2010 at 08:06 AM.
July 2nd, 2010, 12:36 PM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1500 calories a day is not enough for a full time breastfeeding mama. You need at LEAST 1800-2000. I am taking in this much an loosing steadily. If you take in too little you can risk your milk supply and also slow your weight loss to a halt because your body thinks your starving. Be sure you get adequate calories from healthy foods and get in lots of activity and exercise throughout your day.

July 3rd, 2010, 03:15 PM
croutonluver2's Avatar Veteran
hellolove
Tiny Loves Join Date: May 2010

BFing does burn calories around 500-700 calories a day. But you need to be eating healthy foods, not even really low calorie as long as it is healthy fats, proteins, and avoid heavy starches and carbs. Lots of water and veggies are best. Then exercising. BFing mama's are usually stuck with "fat reserves" because we need the energy to BF and to produce milk. Some though lose all the weight rapidly. You could consider upping the amount of calories you are eating. If you aren't consuming over 1000 calories a day you risk that your body thinks you are starving yourself and will not burn anything extra on your body. I would try a basic 1500 calorie diet (because you are burning at least 500 from BF). Building muscle will also help you lose weight, because you burn calories just by having them! Good luck.

PS- I can help a bit more if I know how tall, active, and heavy you are.

This is my problem...with breastfeeding, what veggies will not make my lo gassy? I can't eat my favs like broc or cauliflower So I guess carrots and peas? Can't do beans either and corn and potatoes are starches. I miss my veggies! That's all I used to eat for lunch!

July 3rd, 2010, 07:15 PM
Tiny Loves
Shannon- That's what the nutritionist told me was to aim for around 1500 calories. No less than 1500 (which I barely ever make ) but that has to be a minimum. But I think that's also because activity level.

Steph- I eat every vegetable. I take titrilac if I know it will make me gassy and use mylicon if it makes Mr. Man fussy!

July 3rd, 2010, 08:43 PM
luvbugmama's Avatar Veteran
thanks everyone for all the info! I'm 5'2" about 140 and a typical day i usually go on a walk with my daughter for at least half an hour and i do plenty of housework but no cardio witch i know i should do but i just hate =[! And i do eat mainly healthy foods, i eat a lot of fruit, yogurt ,eggs, chicken and whole grains and salads. It does get hard to eat enough though because i am so busy and the day flys by so fast i forget sometimes!I don't know i just want to be healthy and feel good about myself.As for having enough milk, I'm sure i have plenty because my daughter is gaining plenty of weight and the doc says to keep doin what i,m doin lol!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search