Daphne's crazy birth story!

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 3rd, 2010, 02:20 AM
RuPaul-O-Saurus's Avatar Super Mommy
My birth story is a little weird if ya ask me! LOL This will probably be pretty long so bear with me and I hope it keeps your interest.

Friday, June 18th I went to see my high risk doc for my last ultrasound. I was sick as a dog but not too worried about baby coming while I was sick seeing as I wasn't due for another 11 days and had ZERO signs of impending labor. Boy was I in for a rude awakening! In the middle of my U/S the nurse kept measuring my amniotic fluid over and over....I didn't think much of it just because I'm high risk and there were a few things that were repeatedly checked at my monthly U/S appts. The nurse informed me that my amniotic fluid was really low (not even sure how that happened) and consulted the doctor who sent me immediately to L&D. He basically said that I HAD to have the baby either Friday or early Saturday to keep the baby alive and healthy. I was kinda freaking out at this point! I was sick, tired, completely unprepared and had only planned on going to an appointment...not having a baby! My wonderful BF and I both called our moms and let them know what was going on and he went straight home to pack some bags for me, himself and the baby
...and here's how everything went from then on:

Friday afternoon: sat in L&D on monitors, not dilated and definitely not in labor!

Friday late afternoon: received my first cervidil suppository, felt some weird uncomfortable contraction type feelings, but nothing too crazy

Friday night: ZERO progression, received my second cervidil suppository because the first one came out. (cue painful cervical check)

Saturday morning: As far as I remember my cervix had either thinned significantly or I was dilated to a 1, maybe 2. (cue another painful cervical check)

Saturday early afternoon: Started on a low dose of pitocin which was upped every hour until I started to progress. (cue another painful cervical check)

Saturday early evening: Only dilated to a 3, having small contractions here and there but nothing major. (cue a series of very painful cervical checks!)

Saturday evening/night: Pitocin upped significantly and what was left of my water was broken to see if it would speed things up a bit. Of course it didn't and they ended up having to fill me back up with fluid as to not do any damage to me or the baby. It was insanely weird to have them fill me back up with fluid! I didn't even know they could do that! At this point they had to take me off of the regular monitors and set up the internal monitors, one on the baby's head and one inside me (I think on my uterus? Correct me if I'm wrong, please)

All through Sat. night the baby's heart rate was going up and down...eventually it was dropping down way too low (due to the pitocin) so they lowered my dose and hoped for the best. I was dilating VERY slowly but at some point started having (semi painful) contractions regularly. I was timing them at every 5 mins and they were lasting 30-45 seconds each. They became more painful and regular and at that point I wanted to know my options as far as pain relief.
I didn't want to get an epidural but I still wanted to know what was available. A temp nurse who I did not like at all said my 2 options were either Stadol or an Epidural.
Stupidly....I chose the Stadol first. It was the worst choice I've ever made in my entire life and I hated every second that it was in my system. I was high as a kite and having crazy delusions and dreams while asleep yet still able to hear the conversations going on around me. I could also still feel the contractions and was 'awake' enough to have to breathe through them, just like I had been doing before the meds were administered. The Stadol wore off after about 2 1/2 hours (even though it felt like 20 mins) and I felt like death warmed over. I was shaking and trembling uncontrollably, bawling my eyes out, having cold sweats, terrible contractions with pain that did not dull in between the contractions and I was vomiting uncontrollably I had not eaten in hours as well so I was vomiting up water and bile. It was the worst experience of my life and I would never, EVER recommend it to anyone! (Which the doctor ended up telling me that he didn't recommend it either...AFTER the fact)

(just a little side note, at this point I had gone through at least 3 different OB's and numerous nurses because I had been there for over 24 hours)

7pm on Saturday the skies opened up and the most amazing Irish nurse/midwife came into my room...I had remembered her from our hospital tour and loved her sooooo much! She was very supportive and was coming in to check on me every chance she had! After my terrible experience with the Stadol, I asked the (dumb) nurse for the epidural because the pain was just too much, Of course...she forgot. When my wonderful Irish nurse (Sally) came on shift she was very quick to get the anesthesiologist to my room and before I knew it, I was pain free! Though it did take 3 tries and a little pain to get the epi in. Apparently I have extremely tight ligaments in my back.
So after having the epi, I was able to rest up a little so that I would be ready to push my little babe out. At some point I had thought to myself that I would not be able to push considering I could feel nothing below my belly button, so I asked numerous times if they needed to shut the epi off. (I'm a lil paranoid sometimes lol) I was told 'no' over and over, but I was still scared. Nurse Sally asked me repeatedly if I was feeling any pressure or contractions etc. but I wasn't, I didn't like this because I figured if I couldn't feel anything that there was something wrong and I would need and emergency C section which I did NOT want, at all! They also kept turning me from side to side to watch the baby's heart rate and it was a PITA considering I couldn't feel more than half of my body to get myself turned over!

FINALLY a little before 6am on Sunday I started to feel a little pressure on the right side of my back, hip and abdomen! I excitedly called nurse Sally and informed her that 'I FELT SOMETHING!!' She checked me and I was at a 9! She could feel the head! OMG, I was going to have a baby!!! At this point, I was very excited to not only have felt something but MY OB was at the hospital to fill in for the on-call OB because there was an emergency situation that she had to tend to!! So nurse Sally came back in and gently explained my pushing duties....breathe and push hard! She appointed my mom and my BF to their positions at my feet to help me push and we got started pushing. I could actually feel when I had to push, which I was very happy about, and she was letting me feel the head at the end of every set of pushes so that I would know exactly what was going on! It was amazing. We did about 8 sets of pushes and she went to grab my OB. He came in and said that nurse Sally could basically deliver the baby until the head was out and that he would take over from there. I did a couple more sets of pushes and before I knew it, my baby girl was here!!!!! I couldn't believe it. 3 days in the hospital and she was finally here! Baby Daphne was born at 6:54 am on Father's Day morning. Sunday June 20th. 9 days early. Having her put on my chest after she was born was the most amazing feeling in the entire world (even though she pee'd and pooped on me within seconds of being out) hehe
She was 6lbs 9oz and 18 3/4 inches of pure perfection.
My OB and nurse Sally informed me after Daphne was out, that I was literally minutes away from them wheeling me into the OR for an emergency C-section because the baby's heart was dropping so low. They told me that the woman in the room next to me saved me from a C-sec because she went into labor right when they were about to come in and tell me! I'm still thanking my lucky stars for that woman! lol ...and for the fact that right at that moment I felt something!

So that's my VERY long, rollercoaster of a birth story. I give you major credit if you stuck through the whole thing. Sorry it's so long, but an almost 3 day labor just can't be told in one paragraph.

Last edited by RuPaul-O-Saurus; July 3rd, 2010 at 02:32 AM.
July 3rd, 2010, 06:16 AM
Boble's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
oh wow what an interesting birth story!

firstly! congrats on your little girl!!!!

I didnt'know they could fill you back up with fluid either?? how interesting.!

and Im so glad you got a good midwife! makes all the difference doesn't it!

Thank you kiliki for my gorgeous siggy!
July 3rd, 2010, 12:36 PM
RuPaul-O-Saurus's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks, she is truly amazing. It's crazy how everything changes once you have your first baby!

Yeah, the whole 'filling me back up' thing....extremely odd. It was one of the weirdest things I've ever felt in my entire life! Peoples jaws drop when I tell them that I supposedly had a 'leak' in my amniotic sac, then they still broke my water AND they filled it back up....yet the only time anything ever came out was when they broke my water and when the baby came out. Very weird!

And yes having a nurse who was also a midwife there to help me was the best thing ever! She made a huge difference and made the 'ending' to my pregnancy and labor so enjoyable. She was like an angel to me!
July 3rd, 2010, 01:23 PM
Mama Chemist 73's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations on the birth of Daphne. I had never heard of being filled back up, but with the long labor, I guess it makes sense it was needed. Congrats again.

My Ovulation Chart
July 3rd, 2010, 03:35 PM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow what a birth story! Three days in the hospital is crazy! I was there for almost 24 hours and I was exhausted afterwards. What a trooper you are and congrats I love Daphne's name!
August 18th, 2010, 10:47 AM
congrats.. well.. super late congrats lol. i just wanted to comment because when i was in labor the guy that did epidurals was in a c-section so i had to wait so while i was waiting they gave me Stadol. omg so i know exactly how you feel! i felt like i had taken like a million drugs and i was super paranoid. the nurse and two students were in there for a little while after i got it and so was my bf and i kept asking my bf why he kept staring at me! he was like *** are you talking about??! lol it made me feel so weird i felt like everyone was looking at me and thinking "wow she's really messed up" lol.. they told me it didnt help for pain that it would just take my mind off of it a little bit, yeah it sure did lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search