Health & fitness tips (updated 7/22)

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 15th, 2010, 10:59 AM
HopelessP's Avatar Ashlyn's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to HopelessP Send a message via Yahoo to HopelessP
I get nice little emails with tips on losing weight and such so thought I'd start sharing some. So for today the tip is

Get More Muscle Tone with This Protein
Forget the special postworkout protein drinks. Have a glass of this if you want to maximize muscle toning: milk.

For reasons not yet understood, it seems that milk proteins are particularly ideal for the muscle-building process. In studies, exercisers who drank milk gained 6 pounds of lean muscle mass over the course of 11 weeks.

Not Created Equal

We all know that resistance training builds muscle. Some of us also know that a protein-rich snack after strength training can give that muscle-building process a boost. But now, researchers are discovering that not all proteins are created equal. Every protein source is made up of different amino acids, and the types may affect the way different protein sources are broken down and used by the body to build muscle.

Made for Muscles

If dairy isn't your thing, you can still reap some muscle-building rewards by getting other kinds of protein into your diet. In the study, milk bested soymilk when exercisers added 20 grams of protein from their chosen source every day. But the soymilk drinkers did gain muscle, too. Just less of it -- about 3 pounds' worth. Whatever protein source you choose, try eating some anywhere from 30 minutes before to 2 hours after you work out for best results.

Tip #2:
Walking shoes? Check. Sweat socks? Got 'em. Pedometer? Yes, siree. Now, nibble on a few of these before your power walk: raisins.

A little raisin appetizer before your workout may work as well as a sports drink in helping you keep pace and could crank up your fat-burning engines to boot.

Same but Better
In a study, endurance athletes ate either sports gel or 2.5 to 3 ounces of raisins before doing 45 minutes of cycling. Blood samples were collected before and during their workout. Results? The raisin eaters had no problem keeping pace with the gel takers and had higher blood levels of free fatty acids. Translation: Raisins revved up their metabolisms to burn more fat.

More Reasons for Raisins
Raisins are loaded with antioxidants and good-for-you nutrients like fiber, iron, and potassium. So keep a stash on hand to help you meet your fruit intake needs when your fruit bowl runs empty.

Last edited by HopelessP; July 22nd, 2010 at 11:58 AM.
July 15th, 2010, 03:49 PM
niema's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to niema
^^Thanks!
July 15th, 2010, 07:20 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Interesting. I swam in high school and when I got home from practice every night I'd drink pretty much an entire gallon of milk. My mom hated it! But it was sooo gooood... Guess I was doing myself a favor!
July 22nd, 2010, 11:58 AM
HopelessP's Avatar Ashlyn's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to HopelessP Send a message via Yahoo to HopelessP
updated

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search