Epidural - ahhh

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2010, 09:02 AM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
SO when i was at the hospital yesterday for my NST/BPP - they gave me a cost list since my insurance only cover $1,000 of my TOTAL hospital bill (but 80% of my OB's total pregnancy bill) ... well on the list was the Epidural cost - without the anesthesiologist's fee - I feel even more motivated, even tho i'm going to be induced, to not have an epi. it was roughly $900. non of which my insurance will cover. Not sure how much i'll care about the cost when in labor tho!

who here is open to an epidural?
who is not having an epidural?
who for-sure is ?
July 21st, 2010, 09:09 AM
The Heather's Avatar Jedi Master of Piffleness
I'm planning on having an epidural again. I remember it being expensive, but it made my labor a wonderful experience. However if I'm not being induced with pitocin, it may be different.

July 21st, 2010, 09:18 AM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm going to play it by ear. I have done it both ways so it depends on how long my labor is, how I'm progressing, etc. We'll see.

July 21st, 2010, 09:23 AM
mothra's Avatar Martha
I'm open to it this time...last time I was rigidly against it but after all I went through, I'm willing to cut myself a break this time around! The cost is something to think about, though. I guess we'll see how it goes down when the time comes.

July 21st, 2010, 09:24 AM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will be doing everything in my power to avoid an epidural. I know I have strong feelings on the issue, but in no way have any less respect for those who chose to get the epidural.

I had one for the first time last time and could not move my right leg for 3 months after. I had a really rough induction that ended up taking a long time and after a day and a half of no real progress I just couldn't do it anymore. I also am very pro natural childbirth. I know it isn't for everyone but hopefully those that chose the epidural at least do some research and make an informed decision.

It's funny because we suffer through all kinds of things during pregnancy to avoid taking even over the counter medications and then we drug our bodies up at the end.

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

July 21st, 2010, 09:30 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I'm going to get the epidural a week beforehand j/k... but yes, I am an epidural fan to the fullest and will be getting it this time around, too. I'm *hoping* to not have an epidural til I'm about 5-6 cm dilated or so... We'll see how that works out.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
July 21st, 2010, 09:33 AM
lexicon's Avatar formerly SarahRenee
I'm open to having one. It did save me from a c-section last time. I'd like to labor as long as I can without though and then play it by ear. I gave up after almost 9 hours of back labor (AKA pure HELL) and even my L&D nurse was telling me she only made it through 4 hours of back labor before she gave in (I know she was trying to make me feel better but still)

I know they're SO expensive though. And all the fees they tack on is ridiculous. Please don't feel bad if you give in and get one (well worth the cost if you're in a LOT of pain, KWIM?).

Thank you *Kiliki* for my siggy!
July 21st, 2010, 09:37 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Sarah,

Except when playing basketball and volleyball (or I should say, excepting everything except labor!) I'm a whimp! I had back labor for 2 hours and was DONE. I never planned on not having an epi., so maybe that kept me from trying for the last 2 hours of labor through delivery, but ... yeah... 9 hours... you are a goddess!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
July 21st, 2010, 09:38 AM
lulumama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not me...unless it's a situation where it really seems necessary - like if I've been laboring for 40 hours, in a lot of pain, and my body needs to rest for pushing...If it seems like a situation where an epi might help me avoid a c-section, in other words. Otherwise, we're hoping for a completely unmedicated birth.

Forever missing our baby boy, Otis Allen, born September 12, 2010 at 41 wks; left this world 36 hours later.

Blessed with our Maui Miracle - Owen Kekoa, born 9/19/11 at 35w3d!
July 21st, 2010, 09:40 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm for sure haivng an epideral.

July 21st, 2010, 09:56 AM
Gemum
All I can say is... Thank GOODNESS for the NHS. I will be getting everything I can and need without worrying about costs. I guess that's where paying all those taxes comes in handy!!!

HURRAH GB!!
July 21st, 2010, 10:11 AM
lexicon's Avatar formerly SarahRenee
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbirds View Post
Sarah,

Except when playing basketball and volleyball (or I should say, excepting everything except labor!) I'm a whimp! I had back labor for 2 hours and was DONE. I never planned on not having an epi., so maybe that kept me from trying for the last 2 hours of labor through delivery, but ... yeah... 9 hours... you are a goddess!

Oh it sucked. Back labor set on at 9 am when they broke my water. By 3 pm I was begging for the epidural. The epi guy didn't show up until 6 pm (he was in surgery after surgery). So I was MISERABLE... so really I gave up at around 6 hours and they TRIED to give me some relief by giving me Stadol (which I think only made it worse really). Had the epidural in for 15 mins and baby was out. Happened so fast.

Oh and I'm a HUGE wimp too. I cry every time I see needles. I'm still amazed I went that long.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my siggy!
July 21st, 2010, 10:40 AM
C&J's Mom's Avatar Stacy
*Raises hand* Yep, epidural for me. Especially if I have to receive pitocin again.

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
July 21st, 2010, 10:47 AM
missmich
I'd like to try and get through labor as naturally as possible with no interventions or epi,but I am open to the epi if it's just to bad for me to handle alone. There's nothing wrong with asking for a little help.
July 21st, 2010, 10:54 AM
amonstersmomma's Avatar Coetta Dawn
I welcome the epidural with open arms! I hope to stick it out as long as I can but I know I'm a total wimp and will probably walk in begging for it And DH is military so no worry about costs here but OMG I can't believe how expensive L&D is!!!!

July 21st, 2010, 10:57 AM
uvatigger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No epideral choice since I have a scheduled c this time
Last time i held out 12 hours on pitocin
and thought I was going to die

July 21st, 2010, 11:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexicon View Post
I'm open to having one. It did save me from a c-section last time.
This pretty much sums it up for me too. Labored for ~18 hours with pitocin and no cervical progress until I caved and got the epidural. Second time around I got it as soon as they let me-once the doc okayed that I probably wouldn't progress without it.
July 21st, 2010, 11:27 AM
Angel_Maker
I had an epidural (done incorrectly, and caused nerve damage) with the twins, and I ended up with an epi and THEN a spinal block with Evan (not that the pain was so intense, but I didn't want my body to tense up during contractions because I was trying to keep my water from breaking )

Anywho...I think my anestethiology bill was $2700 before insurance, and after insurance the total bill is $365
July 21st, 2010, 11:28 AM
emmiejack0810's Avatar MELANIE
I wouldn't care if it cost 10,000 --- I have absolutely no tolerance for pain and I am all about the Epi...

When I delivered DD I started with the Stadol then had Epi (which didn't fully work) and ended up under general anestesia (sp)... for C-section...

So I am for SURE Epi.

Thank you BAM for this INCREDIBLE Siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search