from perfect to bed rest

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2010, 02:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had my 32 week appointment today and it started off as usual.. How are you feeling? - great. Any contractions? - nope! Then she tells me that one of my urine tests came back with a little bacteria in it. Bad news, but I thought not a big deal.. I have to take antibiotics and they will be pumping in antibiotics all through my labor... 15 - 20 % of women have it... (Alright I guess I am not an exception)

Then we proceed to the exam.
BP- great!
Baby's heart beat - great!
Cervix check - oops... one centimeter dilated!!! I was thinking to myself.. that is great, things are supposed to be happening! Then it went all downhill... Apparently it is 4 weeks early to be dilated this much! Baby seems to have dropped as well... She said I am having contractions but I am not feeling them.. How can this happen? Don't they hurt?!
So now I am on bed rest. I was supposed to be on vacation for the next two weeks. I had such a great vacation planned, was going to the states to visit my friends, camping with our family here in Quebec... and now all this has to be replaced with a bed rest.
DH is bummed; he is a teacher and is off for the whole summer. He was so looking forward to our trip to the states and spending time with the family. I am in total shock.. Bed rest and me??? How I am supposed to do it? I am a type of person who cannot sit still for 30 minutes..I need to be busy to be happy
I am upset but happy that we know that something is wrong and can stop it from getting worse. I am so happy that doctor started seeing me every two weeks and this was discovered on time. I am very happy that cervix is being checked regularly as of 30 weeks. Now I just have to figure out how to keep myself busy.

Sorry for such a long message..I had a lot to share... Take it easy girls - we are growing a little human in our bellies and everything we do matters. Doctor thinks that my problem is that I am feeling so great and I did not limit myself enough - stress at work, long walks... or maybe it was triggered by the bacteria in my urine..we won't know!
July 21st, 2010, 02:10 PM
Gemum
Ohhh sucks I'm sure the little bundle at the end of it will outweigh anyyy bad feelings you have just now!

Rest up mumma!*Hugsssss*

KUP!!
July 21st, 2010, 02:11 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
Oh Karina! I'm sorry about the appointment and the not-so-great news! I can't imagine being put on bed rest! I hope that you can find a way to stay sane while off of your feet
This post kinda scares me back into reality to be honest with you!
I'm like you! Can't sit still for anything! I love being active and I hate limiting myself. I can not tell you how many times DH has yelled at me to let him do something for me, instead of just doing it myself. I don't feel like I should have any restraints on me, but youre right, I am growing someone inside of me! And it's hard for me to put that in perspective sometimes! I don't want to feel like I have a handicap just because I'm pregnant!
I need to be more careful I guess!

((((hugs))))

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]
forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
July 21st, 2010, 02:17 PM
mamato4boys's Avatar Daleen
Sorry to hear about the bed rest...I have been on modified bed rest from about 26 weeks. Not too bad but everything will be worth it...the longer baby stays put to bake the better. Good luck and KUP

THANK YOU BAM FOR MY AWESOME SIGGY
Always Remembering Otis, Evan Navarro, Riley, and Patrick
~September 2010 DDC's Perfect Angels~
July 21st, 2010, 02:22 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
I'm sorry, Karina! I'm sorry that you are missing your vacation, too I hope that bed rest is not as bad as you are anticipating and you can find lots of ways to entertain yourself. It sounds like you have a positive attitude going in, though, and you're right, it IS good that they were checking and caught it ahead of time. I hope the next few weeks pass quickly for you!

July 21st, 2010, 02:38 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
OH, hun! What an aweful time to find out about this, but like you said, it's SOOO much better than going into pre-term labor while on vacation away from your doc and hospital and this far away from your EDD!

I'm sorry for your DH, I can imagine his frustration too

It's good they caught all this. Bacteria is KNOWN to induce labor, so you may have been close to pre-term labor if they hadn't caught it!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
July 21st, 2010, 02:45 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i'm sorry about the bedrest hun! I wouldn't worry about the 1cm dilated tho - i was 1 at 32 weeks with DS and it never progressed until i was induced - but it is better to be safe and stay off your feet so it doesn't progress more. But it isnt abnormal to be starting to dilate or soften. I'm sorry you have to join the bed rest group. The start of contractions can work your cervix but still feel like braxton hicks - the active labor one's you'll def feel - but hopefully your weeks away from that.

rest up mama! and keep bakin baby - you've got more growing to do!!!
July 21st, 2010, 03:02 PM
bev26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry that everything has changed so quickly, but like you said, it really is great that it was caught in the first place.

Just as Kelli said, your post is a bit of a reality check for me. I've insisted on doing so much and continue to maybe do things that I should not (like lifting or taking long walks) because I feel fine. Maybe I need to take it a bit easier, too.

Well, I hope that the period of bed rest flies by for you and that your little one continues to bake away.

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for the wonderful siggy!

July 21st, 2010, 03:18 PM
~Constance~
Aww, I'm sorry to hear about the bed rest. Maybe it's a good time to catch up on your reading or call some old friends.
Many women don't feel early contractions(up to about 3cm)because they don't feel like contractions. I didn't with ds. I realized afterwards that the feeling of feeling full and heavy in my uterus wasn't actually the baby but the contractions. I recognized them with dd in the weeks leading up to her birth.
Now take good care of yourself!!
July 21st, 2010, 03:30 PM
Frangipani's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
oh wow! My doc hasn't even started doing cervix checks and I'm almost 34 weeks!

I hope that the bedrest won't be too bad. You'll have to post more here
July 21st, 2010, 03:37 PM
missmich
Sorry you have to be on bed rest. Is it modified or total bed rest? Either way just take it easy and try not to worry to much. Catch up on reading some baby books and doing a little research etc...
July 21st, 2010, 03:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks girls! I am definitely " this is so not happening to me" type of person. Take it easy... this can happen to anyone... ( i hope I am last bed rest person in our DDC )

Just to add to my bummer day.... I just found out that there was a huge surprise baby shower planned for me this coming weekend. I used to live in the States and all my old neighbors, friends, and both sides of my host family members were coming together to celebrate our baby! Probably 60 people all together....
July 21st, 2010, 04:09 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Oh, I'm sorry about the bed rest and missing the shower. Good thing your doctor checked your cervix -- I'm at 32 weeks and mine hasn't started checking yet! Are you on strict bed rest or modified?

Take it easy and rest up -- it will be totally worth it in the end!
July 21st, 2010, 04:12 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ahhhhhh - i'm sorry about the baby shower - can they come to you - just stay seated and resting?!

Hang in there mama!!!

I know it sucks - but it's not for too much longer and it's worth it. (((HUGS)))
July 21st, 2010, 04:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by alethia View Post
ahhhhhh - i'm sorry about the baby shower - can they come to you - just stay seated and resting?!

Hang in there mama!!!

I know it sucks - but it's not for too much longer and it's worth it. (((HUGS)))

Ohh I so wish they could Alethia, but I live whole 7.5 hours away. Some of the things will be shipped to me and we might travel down south after our boy is born ( probably around christmas time).
July 21st, 2010, 04:18 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I was wondering the same thing... can you still have your vacation but be on bed rest? I went to a shower for a girl who was on bed rest, and she just sat or laid on the couch (think Egyptian queen) the whole time, and we just mulled around her. It actually worked out great!

But then... you'd have to stay rested the rest of the trip, too... could you really do that

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
July 21st, 2010, 04:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmich View Post
Sorry you have to be on bed rest. Is it modified or total bed rest? Either way just take it easy and try not to worry to much. Catch up on reading some baby books and doing a little research etc...
Michelle, I might be set free when I get to 36 weeks. I am being monitored closely for the next two. If I keep dilating I will be hospitalized ( hope not though!! )
July 21st, 2010, 04:44 PM
The Heather's Avatar Jedi Master of Piffleness
Bummer! I guess you can catch up on some well deserved R&R and maybe read a couple of books.

July 21st, 2010, 04:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbirds View Post
I was wondering the same thing... can you still have your vacation but be on bed rest? I went to a shower for a girl who was on bed rest, and she just sat or laid on the couch (think Egyptian queen) the whole time, and we just mulled around her. It actually worked out great!

But then... you'd have to stay rested the rest of the trip, too... could you really do that
I would stay rested for the whole trip, but doctor said that car rides are not a way to go now. I have to stay in bed on my left side for 8 hours/day ( my full work day ), no walks, no to any activities.. I don't know.. maybe my doctor is intence, but I am not taking a chanse ... the risk is to big..
July 21st, 2010, 04:54 PM
scunch's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry about the bed rest, it sucks. I have been dilated to 1.5 for 2.5 weeks w/no further progression, I hope you are able to hold out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search