Cloth Diapers - whos doing it?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2010, 06:41 AM
ameriguat
I'm going to use both plus everyone is pissing me off when they say "IT WON'T LAST, I GIVE YOU 3 WEEKS" I want to do it to save money and its better on the environment.
July 22nd, 2010, 06:48 AM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
We've decided to use them -- I haven't picked which ones I want yet but there's a CD store right by my house that runs seminars and teaches you about the different brands. I am going to have a couple of packages of newborn sposies to use during the first couple of weeks, while we're all getting adjusted. After that, it'll be CDs.

Our choice came down to two big factors: environmental and financial. Even though Acorn will probably be our only child, we still save money by using CDs (and we can recover some of the money when we sell them down the road).
July 22nd, 2010, 07:15 AM
J9+J+C=Complete's Avatar Charlotte & Jacob's Mommy
We are going to try both to see what works best. I need to do some more research in finding out what kind of cd I want to use. Ours is more an environmental reason and my mom is watching Charlotte after maternity leave so it's easy to continue using them.
July 22nd, 2010, 07:18 AM
kemper2.0's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are! My main reasons are finances and it's so much better for the environment! Another reason is because my best friend uses cloth and after watching her I couldn't believe how simple it is!

Kat, mommy to Gideon (9-8-10) and Arie (7-6-12), and Evangeline River (3-27-14)

July 22nd, 2010, 07:55 AM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
Right now on DS i am using both. I will try on the baby too. DS like the cloth better than the disposables. I started because I was having a hard time finding a disposable diaper that fit DS right. I like the cloth better to.

Thank You tasha_mae

July 22nd, 2010, 08:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We use them here. My mom has made them for us. My oldest has special shorts she made him out of the waterproof material that he wears at night because he still wets 2-3/month because he's such a heavy sleeper.

My youngest wears them around the house and for short trips to the store, etc but at night we have to use a disposable.

We'll do the same for the new baby.

My reasons for doing it were financial and environmental.
July 22nd, 2010, 08:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I thought about it, but I don't think I will. Laundry is my enemy, I don't want to add to it. I can see me getting all motivated and buying all the cloth diapers, and then giving up. I know I should at least try it, but I doubt I will.
July 22nd, 2010, 08:39 AM
mothra's Avatar Martha
Using cloth now & will continue to with this baby. I love that I still have all my son's diapers from birth so I don't need to buy anything for this one!

July 22nd, 2010, 09:31 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Definitely using cloth! I've spent way to much money on it to go back now Plus, I love that it's economical and environmentally friendly...and cute Plus, I seriously HATE wearing pads...they are uncomfy and awkward...I'd way rather wear comfy cloth undies...so I figure it would be the same way for baby...cloth would be more comfy! And I've heard it limits diaper rash...though I've heard the opposite on that, too.

July 22nd, 2010, 09:41 AM
I'm using cloth. I'm almost done building up my stash of mostly Bumgenius and Fuzzibunz.

I started to look into cloth after hearing about the Pampers Dry Max thing and liked what I saw. I like that they are less expensive and don't generate the type of waste that disposables do.
July 22nd, 2010, 09:51 AM
ladybugmomma's Avatar Trisha
We are!!! OMG I could give you all kinda of links to cute ones
Ok honestly, I just like cloth diapers. I like that in the long run it is cheaper, but it sure isn't now :0 I've spent ALOT. They are super cute. Helping the environment is a plus, but honestly it didn't aid in my decision. I do LOVE the fact that there will only be natural fabrics next to Layla's bum, not chemicals. Disposables really stink. Not that they are bad, I used them on 3 of my kids.
Laundry is really, honestly, no lie, NOT a big deal. You through them in and wash them, dry some, hang dry some, and fold them in half. I HATE HATE HATE laundry but LOVED washing our cloth diapers LOL
July 22nd, 2010, 11:39 AM
MariaL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would love to do it, but I hate doing laundry.
July 22nd, 2010, 11:50 AM
Canadianne
We are! I've always planned on cloth diapering, even long before I ever thought I would have children.

The cost factor was a huge motivator for my husband. Not having to buy disposables every week is a huge gift to our shopping budget. I've also made my own cloth wipes and just bought reusable nursing pads so we have cut down those expenses substantially as well.

As a borderline hippie, the environmental factor is also a huge bonus for me. Disposables take ages and ages to breakdown in the landfill (and our landfills are ridiculously full to begin with...they certainly don't need my extra contributions).

Finally, I know disposables are convenient, but to me they are just too convenient. I don't want a diaper that wicks away moisture so well that I can leave Beckett in the same diaper for hours (something that you can't get away with when using cloth). I don't know what makes them so absorbent but I figure it can't be all that great for Beckett's bum so I'll just keep him away from it.
July 22nd, 2010, 12:55 PM
~Constance~
Cloth diapered my other two and this one will also be in cloth. My reasons are: it's incredibly frugal(spent $250 plus $2 week laundry costs to diaper two kids and have only spent $20 for supplies for this one so far), it's less wasteful(I hate cheaply made and disposable things that I must buy for the purpose of throwing away) and it's so much simpler(it's so liberating to know I never have to think about how many diapers and wipes I have at home and whether I need to buy more and what size and then haul the packs home from the store and then bags of dirties to the curb). We have some Motherease, prefolds and homemade fitted dipes.
July 22nd, 2010, 01:04 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Constance...I agree about the liberating feeling I LOVE knowing that I never have to run out to the store. I seriously hate going to the store for anything. I can go without quite a bit, but baby can't go without diapers. It's so nice to know that instead of having to leave and go get diapers/wipes, I just have to throw some in the laundry.

July 22nd, 2010, 01:06 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
We have a private garbage service and they initially said they don't haul disposable diapers. The people who owned out land before us just dumped all their trash into the ravine. My Dh has been working on cleaning it out and he says there is nothing more disgusting that a 5-7 year old diaper.

We cloth diapered Scarlett until she out grew her taffeta pants and is very wiggly on the changing as we use pins and cheap walmart diapers.

We use disposables now and we have a different garbage man. However my house smelled A LOT better when we used cloth as they were cleaned up immediately and the disposable ones are picked up once a week.

July 22nd, 2010, 06:06 PM
QuaintandQuirky's Avatar Keri
I am cloth diapering! I decided on the Flip system. They get great reviews from people who use them and are relatively close to a disposable diaper. So far, I have three day packs, but I know I'll need more.

My reasons:
1.) Cost - I've registered for the diapers, so I may not have to buy any of them on my own, depending on how the registry goes.
2.) Tradition - People cloth diapered for thousands of years and without the conveniences of things we have (like crazy cute and easy diapers and HE washing machines). Why can't I? I'll be staying home with the baby, so it makes sense to me.
3.) Health - I don't like the idea of all the junk in disposable diapers.
4.) Greenosity - I'm not green by any means, but the idea of diapers in dumps bothers me. I know that there are other environmental factors because I have to wash the diapers, but I have a HE washing machine and dryer, so I think I'm okay!
5.) I like to be different.

July 22nd, 2010, 07:28 PM
MotherFrog's Avatar lost in la la land
There are several reasons.

1. Cost! When I showed DH how much it was versus sposies, he was on board.
2. Green! Biggest factor for me!
3. Smell! Sposies are very stinky!
4. Laundry! I LOVE doing laundry! I love the smell of clean clothes!
5. Reputation! After what I've seen with the new Pampers, although I am a former Huggies Mom, I will use cloth!

DH and I have been discussing what we are going to start with though. My kids are normally on the small side (under 7 pounds) and Charlie is going to get circumsized, so we don't even know if the newborn cloth is going to fit him just yet. Might just snitch a lot of sposies from the hospital, dunno.

We have in our stash
3 dozen prefolds
9 diapers covers- 7 Thirsties Duo's, and 2 Thirsties Originals.
ON ORDER 1 Thirsties Duo and 2 Bummis Super Whisper Wraps.

That should get us to 3 months, I think.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search