cloth diapering question

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2010, 08:30 AM
Mom2#1Drakester's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am still considering this option but am so confused. For instance I was a website this morning that sells Thirsties diaper covers. Do I or do i not need the inserts that i have seen on other sites for other diaper covers that are usually used at night?? I just hate to try cloth diapers and have the baby leaking all over the place for my lack of knowledge on this. Can someone give me a rundown on what some of the good affordable covers are to buy and what i need to get with them, such as inserts or which ones don't even require the inserts (easier if they don't i would think). Tell me what are the best covers you are using and my aunt is bringing some of the actual cloth part down to me when she visits from Idaho, can i assume the type she bought will be good with whatever covers I pick out?? Advice totally appreciated on this

thank you tasha_mae for the great siggy!
July 22nd, 2010, 08:36 AM
mothra's Avatar Martha
Covers don't come with inserts...unless you're talking about pocket diapers, which are like a cover with a liner built in that you stuff with inserts, thus completing the 'system'. That's what we use at night, a BumGenius 3.0 stuffed with both of the inserts that come with it along with an extra flat. People like pockets because you can use as much or as little extra absorbency as needed.

Covers are just there to cover whatever diaper you put on. If you're using prefolds, fitteds, contours, you need a cover. The only ones you don't need them for are All in Ones and pockets.

We use Thirsties Duo Wraps for use under any clothing. If we're just hanging out around the house, I might use a fleece soaker (really only if he's in a fitted that requires a snappi) or if he's in a fitted with snaps I just let him go like that.

July 22nd, 2010, 09:20 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Martha did a great job answering!

I'm assuming that if your aunt is bringing what she calls the "cloth part" she's bring you some prefolds. You can use pins or snapis with a prefold, or you can just put it inside the cover and secure the cover (easiest option!). With prefolds, you definitely need a cover. Also, you can just lay inserts in the cover and use it that way. I have a handful of covers, but I mostly am going with one size pockets and inserts. One size diapers adjust the size to grow with your baby, and most are good from 8 pounds up to about 35 pounds. Like Martha said, you stuff them with as many or as few inserts as you need, and go (no cover needed, as the outside of the pocket diaper acts as a cover). There are lots of other options, too, like fitteds and all in one diapers (which are all assembled, you just put on the diaper as though it were a sposie and are good to go!). Fitteds come in different sizes, so you'll need enough of them in each size to go from birth to toddlerhood.

Hope that helps!

July 22nd, 2010, 10:32 AM
lulumama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The cloth diapering board has some GREAT links to sites that explain the world of cloth diapering. It was TOTALLY overwhelming when I first started reading/buying, but I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. We'll probably do a mix of CD and disposables to start out, anyhow.

Forever missing our baby boy, Otis Allen, born September 12, 2010 at 41 wks; left this world 36 hours later.

Blessed with our Maui Miracle - Owen Kekoa, born 9/19/11 at 35w3d!
July 22nd, 2010, 04:10 PM
We use Thirsties Duo Wraps for use under any clothing. If we're just hanging out around the house, I might use a fleece soaker (really only if he's in a fitted that requires a snappi) or if he's in a fitted with snaps I just let him go like that.[/QUOTE]

What is the difference between the Duo and the basic ones they show on the website?? The ones that do not say duo i guess.

and what is a fleece soaker and a snappi??

July 22nd, 2010, 04:16 PM
ok ok i think i may get it. The thirsties duo is in sizes that are only sold in 2 sizes. It helps keeps baby from leaking but you still have to use the actual cloth diaper. Can you wipe this one out like some of the others without having to wash every single time?? and i saw some hemp inserts on amazon. Is this what you can just add into the cloth diaper at night to give extra absorbtion?? Thanks again guys...i know i am totally confused!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search