How much swelling is normal?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2010, 08:52 AM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My feet are pretty swollen, and my hands are moderately swollen too. No swelling in my face, at least not that I can notice. When does swelling become a concern?

July 22nd, 2010, 08:58 AM
Frangipani's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think they worry when it is combined with protein in your urine, blood pressure changes, and so on. Otherwise, I've just been told that it's normal.

I have sausage fingers and puffy feet. It stinks!
July 22nd, 2010, 09:02 AM
uvatigger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Drink lots of water
It should help with swelling

July 22nd, 2010, 09:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I had a lot of swelling with my other pregnancies, somewhat elevated BP, but no problems with my urine. Wth the move and everything, have you been eating normal meals or picking things up? You might be retaining water if you've had a lot more salt than normal.

Can you take your BP? When is your next visit?
July 22nd, 2010, 01:52 PM
I don't have a way to take my BP, unless there is one of those machines at the grocery store. We have pretty much been sticking to what we normally eat. One thing that did happen earlier is I got little flashing lights for about 30 seconds. I have been on my feet a lot, trying to get this house in order but I have been making sure to take breaks with my feet up and I have been keeping up on water. And my next appt is on the 28th.

July 22nd, 2010, 01:56 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
swelling and vision issues can be related to pre-e BUT... you've also been moving and doing a LOT there, so I could totally see it related to over-exertion. Lemon water is good (real lemons) because lemons can help rid of excess water without really dehydrating you, so if it is just retention from the move, it can resolve itself.

Next time you head to the grocery store, check your bp. It might be fairly within range and can give you an idea of what your bp is doing.

If the swelling really starts to set in, and you press on your arms or legs and see the indent there, or you see it in your face, it's something to really call on and get checked.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
July 22nd, 2010, 01:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Maybe try drinking a ton of water tonight and taking it easy (I know hard to do with 4 kids and wanting to get the house all done) and see how you are tomorrow and then decide if you should get in at the doc instead of waiting until next week.

I've had the flashing lights a couple times, but I know it was from overdoing it/getting up to quickly to do something.

Rest up!
July 22nd, 2010, 01:59 PM
wild&free's Avatar My name is Kelli :)
I agree with the pp. If you notice a sudden big increase in weight that might also indicate Pre-E, so does dizziness. Make sure you are resting while moving and getting the house together!!

.fearfully and wonderfully made.
eli grey // jude lawrence
forever loving Finley
July 22nd, 2010, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am planning on going shopping tonight so I can take my BP hopefully. Then I am taking it easy for the rest of the night! I did a lot today. Also, the flashing lights thing was when I was sitting down. It's just more swelling than I'm used to that has me concerned.

July 22nd, 2010, 02:07 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i had a ton ton ton of swelling with DS but not from Pre-e - just lovely swelling. The concern is if you start to have other symptoms with it - like spotty vision, blurry vision, dizziness, high blood pressure, pain in the upper right of your belly, head ache that won't go away with tylenol, and also protein in the urine.

Try to drink as much water as you can - my ob suggests 1 to 2 gallons a day - i know, it sounds like a lot a lot - but the more fluids you take in the more you're body will let go of them.

watch the swelling too - if it's just getting worse and worse with fluids and keeping your feet up and is spreading to your face give your ob a call.

I hope it goes down for you!
July 22nd, 2010, 02:22 PM
mt23hc's Avatar Melissa
Send a message via AIM to mt23hc
You sound concerned mama, my advice is to TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS! If I hadn't called about my swelling and gone in, I'd have never known I had Pre-E or the IUGR which was pretty severe. When's your next appointment mama?
July 22nd, 2010, 02:28 PM
I am at least going to check my blood pressure first. The thing most concerning to me is that it is painful to walk because my feet are so swollen. Next appt is in 6 days.

July 22nd, 2010, 04:33 PM
128/73. The higher number is higher than what I'm used to seeing by about 15 points. The lower number is only slightly higher. Is it 140 that's considered to be high?

July 22nd, 2010, 04:51 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You're numbers look great! yes 140 is high 120 is fine ... 73 is ok'ish too. I would try to follow it - your b/p as long as you have the swelling since it is up a little. If it keeps creeping up call your doctor and get in sooner.
July 22nd, 2010, 04:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Good news on the BP. Ditto to keep trying to check it to see what happens. Tell DH he has kid duty....you're on baby duty.
July 22nd, 2010, 05:12 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
That bp looks good! Drink a TON tonight, get ready to go to the bathroom ALOT tonight and put your feet up! See how you feel tomorrow...

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
July 22nd, 2010, 05:15 PM
Dreamsinpink2010's Avatar expecting princess #2!!!
Send a message via AIM to Dreamsinpink2010 Send a message via MSN to Dreamsinpink2010
i am not sure about the swelling thing, i just asked my ob about it this afternoon, because my feet have been swelling so badly that by dinner i can't walk because they are so fat and swollen. she said lots of water with lemon, keep the feet up. that was basically it.
it is good you are checking your bp. what is it normally for you at your appts?

4 wonderful and handsome princes's, 1 princess and 1 more princess on her way! Due September 9th 2010!!!
Lacey Faith Margaret Leilani- September 13th 2010 9:19am 6 pounds. 3 oz
TTC our 3rd pink bundle

July 22nd, 2010, 05:18 PM
~Tiffany~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Take it easy and drink lots of water! Looks like your BP seems good! KUP!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search