O/T my fun day with the local police department...

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2010, 02:02 PM
Justjessie's Avatar Really Just Angela
So my kids had tennis today...and my OLD house, which is FINALLY approved for a short sale...needs it's utilities back on. Tennis is 5 minutes from the old house, so I figure while the kids are at tennis, I'll run over there and let the water guy in to turn the water back on.

He is meeting me at 11. My daughter's class ENDS at 11 and my son's STARTS at 11. I tell the kids I will not be there at 11...my son is to sit and watch until his class starts...and then my daughter is to sit and watch until I get back.

I'm usually the mom who totes her kids to the ATM at the bank that's outside...literally two feet from the car...because I am anal about leaving them alone ever, anywhere...but I thought they are old enough. I'll be gone 10 minutes. They'll be fine.

I TOLD THEM NOT TO GO WITH ANYONE NO MATTER WHAT. I'd be back. I was JUST running to the old house. And then when I got back I was even taking my daughter to get lunch while we waited for my son (I pretty much don't worry about him, it's HER I worry about...and not because she's immature...she's just 8.)

Well, after the house thing, I go back to tennis, Sierra is GONE. Justin says she took off with her friend and her friends grandfather.

Now...the friend, I know well. THE MOM I know well. If it were the mom, she'd have called and asked. But I don't even know what grandpa looks like. I don't know if he drives decently. I've never talked to him.

And I had an appointment...a very much needed appointment...with my shrink at 12:45.

So I figure they went back to the friends house...or even back to my old house...I drove back to both, they were in neither place.

I thought maybe they went back to the tennis courts so I started back over there but called the police, as well. Because my daughter told my son she was going with her friend but what if she never made it to the car??? The police had me come into the station. By then I'm having some nice hard contractions and a panic attack.

Also, my phone starts dying and my charger is NOWHERE TO BE FOUND.

They send me back to the tennis courts to meet the police and look for her...and I pull up and there she is talking to the fuzz and making them laugh.

Do you know what she said to me? "You said I SHOULDN'T go with anyone else. You didn't say I COULDN'T."

In all seriousness, we always tell Sierra if a kidnapper took her they'd throw her back within 5 minutes because of her mouth. In all seriousness, they'd probably kill her in 5 minutes because of her mouth.

After much badgering on my part and grounding from her stepfather...she feels bad. I told her Jessica will want to do whatever SHE does and does she want Jessica to go with a stranger so we don't know where she is and scare us? That made sense to her for some reason.

I'm debating telling her real dad...it's the type of thing he should know about...yet SERIOUSLY for all the horrid things he has done something like this would made him seek and probably get full custody (that's how my luck works). But I'm afraid to tell him because a few weeks ago he took the kids to dinner. Sierra had to use the bathroom so she told him (he was playing on his iphone and didn't hear her) and she went to use the restroom alone. (They were at a restaurant we all frequent, I TOTALLY send her to the bathroom alone ALL THE TIME.) When she got back he took her home and beat the crap out of her for going "and not telling him". I would appreciate the grounding rules from here to transfer to dad's for the weekend...but I don't want her bruised and we have enough psychological issues in this house, definately don't need to add to the mental health factor around here.

I do not have any idea how Jessica is going to come out without grey hair.

OH...and the grandfather...he brought her back but he left before the cops got there.

Old people have NO IDEA...and I'm not mad at him (I mean I kind of am but how can you be) in the 70s you just went with whoever and just came home whenever, it was all good. I got left behind on a Girl Scout trip once and everyone had a good laugh (it was no big deal, I only still cry when I think I'm lost and I'm 36.)

I DID call the mom but she didn't have her cell with her. She called me back about an hour ago and she wanted to make sure everything ended okay. She doesn't know about the cops.
July 22nd, 2010, 02:08 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Sorry for the scare, Angela!! I would have freaked out and called the police, too. I'm glad that she is okay. I agree with not telling her dad. Hopefully Justin or Sierra won't mention it to him over the weekend, though, because then he could just accuse you of hiding it from him.

July 22nd, 2010, 02:17 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
How terrifying!!!! I don't know what it's like to have a lost kid, but I know what it's like to have a lost sister and frantic parents!!! Probably the worst incident was when we went into NYC for some shopping and my little sister (8 at the time) got lost. We were out by the street vendors and there were tons of people and it was NIGHT! She had ended up crossing the street and we found her 5 minutes later. But my mom was a WRECK!
Getting lost can be such a scary thing, but it sounds like little Miss Sierra had everything under control
Sorry about your scare!!

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]
forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
July 22nd, 2010, 02:31 PM
scunch's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How scary. I would not tell her Dad, he sounds like a piece of work, and he will make things worse than they need to be.

July 22nd, 2010, 02:36 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Oh, Angela! THis is a humongous fear of mine. I refuse to take my eyes off Kensley at all... and I turn around and DH, who's supposed to watch her so I can go to the bathroom or whatever, is wandering over someplace else. GOD. Don't men have a clue that someone could just sweep in and steal these kids in an instant? I'm sure the grandfather wasn't thinking of any of that and his intentions were all good, but still. Holy heck. What a friggin heart attack in the making!

SO glad it ended well, though. It's a tough decision about telling her dad. Would it come back to bite you in court if they found out you did NOT tell him? That's a hard call.

Sierra better wake up. Too bad they think the world is a great place, but it can be very ugly very fast

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
July 22nd, 2010, 02:54 PM
missmich
I'd pretty mad at the grandfather. he should have known better then to allow a child he doesn't know into his car unless he has the moms permission. I do think your daughter is old enough to know she should have waited for you to get back before she left or she should have called you,if she could to ask.

Maybe it's time to tell her the truth about what could happen if she were to go with someone,stranger or not. It's a scary truth but she may NEED to hear it.
July 22nd, 2010, 03:15 PM
Renwick2002's Avatar Veteran
Oh wow! I'm sorry! My child will be the same way I'm sure!!

I have never been in a custody battle but I was a social worker for 6 years so I saw the best of them. It's your decision to tell dad but it may be better coming from you and not her especially if she knows how to play words. Obviously your daughter knew exactly what you meant and if you want follow through with dad then you guys will have to work together. Of course, I don't know much about the situation and I would never want to make assumptions. I'm sure it's a very difficult place to be in. I hope it all works out!!
July 22nd, 2010, 03:17 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
sooooooo scary!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so glad she's ok!! (((HUGS)))

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search