Hey mamas--quick update

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2010, 02:43 PM
mt23hc's Avatar Melissa
Send a message via AIM to mt23hc
Hey mamas! I miss all of you tremendously! One day I will have the time to come back more regularly but for now, life is crazy. Our days go a little like this: wake 9am, pump, showers, Hayden goes to daycare, I go to hospital & spend time with Cohen, pump some more in there (pumping every 3 hours), come home and try to get things in order for Cohen coming home, pump some more, go back to the hospital, get home around midnight, do it all again...yeah, it's busy!

Me: I'm doing okay! I'm exhausted and stressed but other than that I'm okay. I think I will definitely need to talk to a counselor one day to sort through my feelings, but for now, I feel like I'm going through the motions each day and being as cheerful as I can be. My incision is healed pretty nicely and it's sore from time to time, but I think that's to be expected, I never really let it heal like I should have...since I was allowed out of bed, I've been on the go, nonstop! My milk supply is still really low which is super upsetting because as much as I pump, he had to start being supplemented with formula. I have tried Mother's Milk tea, tincures, fenugreek, etc. and it's just not working...I think my stress level has a LOT to do with it, add to the fact that nursing is such a mental thing and I can't get a let down from a darn pump. I need to feed my actual baby.

Cohen: He is doing GREAT. I try to update his caring bridge as often as possible. CaringBridge / cohenrhysnauss / Welcome He's up to 3lbs 11oz and is starting to get chubby little cheeks. Everyone thinks he looks like me (or Hayden) so I'm thrilled. I think he's precious. I love my time at the hospital with him. He's so amazing! He is in an open crib and doing fabulously maintaining his temperature. He came off of oxygen and at this point, he just needs to learn to eat all his feedings from a bottle then he can come home. I'm a LITTLE irritated because many of the nurses will just put his milk in his feeding (gavage) tube because it's easier, they start the feed then can walk out and do whatever else...to feed him a bottle takes much more time! They seem to only offer him 1-2 bottles per day and he has to take ALL his feedings by breast and bottle to come home. He is doing VERY well with it when they take the TIME to do it, so I'm hoping they start doing it more frequently. His only big "problem" is his reflux. Hayden had reflux so I'm no stranger to it, but Cohen's is "silent reflux" which is scary. Hayden would projectile vomit...Cohen just gags and stops breathing...VERY SCARY! He's on prevacid and will come home on it and he will also come home on a heart and breathing monitor. We're bringing his carseat with us tonight because he has to sit in it an hour and have no drops in breathing or heartrate or oxygen to be able to come home. Fingers crossed he passes that test.
Here are a few photos of him & his bedroom (not finished yet):

Hayden: Hayden started daycare this week and it's not going as well as I thought it would. He is in a class with 3-5 year olds which is WAY too huge of an age gap, IMO. He also is supposed to be potty trained, and he's not, so it's causing some issues, but the main teacher is super sweet and understanding and is working with us. He hates being dropped off and he bawls and by the time I pick him up they said he has been asking about me for an hour or so. I hate leaving him, but I know it's only temporary. Everyday when I pick him up he says "Mommy, you came back!" and I say "Hayden, I'll always come back, I promise" and he says "But remember the one time when you didn't come back" (when I was at the hospital having Cohen and was there 5 days) and I tell him that I did come home it just took a little while. He loves Cohen though and does well around him. I don't think he realizes he'll be home on day though.

AJ: He's back at work now and has had the sniffles so he hasn't seen Cohen in a week. He misses him tons. We all just want him home!
July 22nd, 2010, 02:48 PM
VeronicaBride's Avatar Jen
Wow I can't imagine how stressed you must be. All of that is a lot to handle at once. So glad Cohen is doing well though. He is such a little fighter. I hope you get to take him home really soon. Thanks for the update!

July 22nd, 2010, 02:51 PM
J9+J+C=Complete's Avatar Charlotte & Jacob's Mommy
I'm glad to hear that you all are hanging in there! You are doing a great job, Melissa! Let us know how the carseat test goes

Oh, btw, where did you get your bedding and the name embroidered? SO CUTE!
July 22nd, 2010, 02:53 PM
mt23hc's Avatar Melissa
Send a message via AIM to mt23hc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanine View Post
I'm glad to hear that you all are hanging in there! You are doing a great job, Melissa! Let us know how the carseat test goes

Oh, btw, where did you get your bedding and the name embroidered? SO CUTE!
I got it from Home Page I absolutely LOVE it! and the set they have for girls is even cuter! LOL!
July 22nd, 2010, 02:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi Melissa thanks for the update. I am glad Cohen is doing well. It is unfortunate that his nurses are not helping much with his feeding routine. Cohen looks great.!!! Hayden seems to be going through some stressful times… poor little guy .. I am hoping it changes soon. All the best to you!!!

Thanks Claire1979 for my awesome siggy.
July 22nd, 2010, 02:57 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
First of all, HI MELISSA We have missed you!

Second of all, Cohen is ADORABLE! He looks so healthy and aware of his surroundings! What a little precious boy

It sounds like you are doing your best right now and that is all that can be asked of you! You are an AMAZING mother to your two little boys!! I hope that little Cohen can come home to your family soon!!! He is such a fighter!

((((HUGS))))

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
July 22nd, 2010, 03:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Great to see an update on all of you. Kudos to you for keeping up with the pumping. It's hard in general, let alone with everything else you have going on.

Cohen is looking great! I hope the car seat test goes well. Is he able to ride in a regular car seat if he hasn't reached 5 lbs yet?

I wish Hayden's transition was going smoother. It's a lot for him to handle. I agree that a from 3-5 is way too big of a gap. Hopefully he starts doing a little better.

Be sure to take care of yourself. I hope AJ starts to feel better soon.
July 22nd, 2010, 03:08 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Hey Melissa!! Thanks for the update! We've been thinking about you and baby Cohen a lot

Cohen is absolutely precious! He's such a sweet looking baby And his nursery and bedding is adorable!!

You're such a strong mama...you're doing so much for both your little boys! I'm praying that Cohen will come home soon! I hope those nurses start feeding him by bottle so that he can get used to it and come home ASAP!

July 22nd, 2010, 03:10 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
So glad to hear from you, Melissa!!

Cohen is a beautiful little guy and sounds like he's doing really well! I'd be scared to death of the silent reflux so it's good they caught it.

As for your milk supply, everyone who's tried it swear by the monster cookies... the recipe's in our Greenhouse under the recipe thread. THey are super yummy and help increase your supply. Other thing that is supposed to work wonders is a good sound BEER! YEP! but you don't want to drink it while nursing/pumping or right before, obviously... Maybe right when you finish pumping, have a good stout beer and see how it does

Hayden sounds like he just misses his mama. It's understandable. I totally agree that the age difference is HUGE but if it is only temporary, well... maybe it won't be so bad.

Prayers still coming your way! I hope you get to bring Cohen home sometime soon.

How are your eyes doing?

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
July 22nd, 2010, 03:18 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
(((HUGS)))) <3 You are very missed! i know your puming lots now but with Brandon i had to pump ever 2 hours, and then when he was increasing a few times i pumped on the hour to get the supply up. Another trick that helped me let down was to have photo's of Brandon with me when i pumped - your body likes to see your baby to release those hormones! i know it can be sooo hard - and you're right stress can make it harder. Try to take a few minutes for your self each day.

Im so glad Cohen is doing so well - it's def a testament to him but also to you!

WTG Cohen and mama!!!

Sending T&P's!
July 22nd, 2010, 03:23 PM
Justjessie's Avatar Really Just Angela
Dang, he is getting big!!! That's amazing! Sorry to hear about Hayden, but he'll adjust. Kids always do. Make sure you get someone to talk to when things calm down some. I can't imagine going through everything you are going through! Thanks for the update! He's almost a month old, isn't he!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
July 22nd, 2010, 03:43 PM
mamato4boys's Avatar Daleen
He looks so good Melissa. He is doing great for his size. Thanks for the pics and the update.... good luck with the pumping ... keep it up and he'll be home in no time.

THANK YOU BAM FOR MY AWESOME SIGGY
Always Remembering Otis, Evan Navarro, Riley, and Patrick
~September 2010 DDC's Perfect Angels~
July 22nd, 2010, 03:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the update. He is sooo cute! I hope your life calms down soon, and you can all be home together.
July 22nd, 2010, 03:50 PM
sassysarah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So glad to get this update. Sounds like Cohen is doing really well; he sure looks cute. Pumping is hard but hopefully soon Cohen will be home drinking right from the tap. I love the bedding you picked out! Sorry Hayden isn't loving daycare. Hopefully he will enjoy it more soon. It's so hard to leave them when they cry.

July 22nd, 2010, 04:02 PM
~Constance~
I've really missed you around here Melissa but I'm happy to hear that you and Cohen are doing well. He is just beautiful and getting so big! Hope he can come home soon!
July 22nd, 2010, 04:27 PM
bev26's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aw, Cohen looks like such a sweetheart. I'm so glad that he's doing well and hope that he continues to progress by leaps and bounds. Hang in there!!!

Thank you Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for the wonderful siggy!

July 22nd, 2010, 04:35 PM
Super Mommy
Glad your little man is doing so well. Just wanted to add that I put DS in daycare about a month ago, and he is just starting to not scream in the mornings. He too is afraid that I don't come back. It does get better!!! Good Luck

July 22nd, 2010, 04:37 PM
lexicon's Avatar formerly SarahRenee
It's so good to hear from you!!!

I'm so glad Cohen is doing so well!! He's definitely chubbing up nicely! Thank you for letting us know how he was doing... I hope he gets to come home soon!

So sorry you have so much on your plate right now...

Thank you *Kiliki* for my siggy!
July 22nd, 2010, 04:50 PM
*MomofO&Nat*'s Avatar Kelly, Massachusetts Mama
Awwwww, he is just a beautiful guy, isn't he?! So happy to hear from you and how things are going. I hope it settles down for you as soon as possible, but I admire all you are doing (especially the pumping!!) and I just pray you can continue to find strength to get everything done for yourself and your boys. You are inspiring, and I am so glad you came back to update!
Natalie Laura (9/14/10)
Harrison Dean (2/22/13)
Proud Member of the September 2010 Playroom

July 22nd, 2010, 04:54 PM
TXErinC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
He is getting so big What a sweetheart. Glad he's making such great progress.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search