Gestational Diabetic Momma's

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2010, 05:48 PM
ladybugmomma's Avatar Trisha
Ok starting this so we can help each other out. We can post questions and chat about our frustrations. Momma's with GD please check this out regularly.
July 22nd, 2010, 08:53 PM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There are quite a few on the Oct board recently diagnosed also.

Did you know there is a GD board on JM?

Here is the link in case anyone wants to come post there too.

Gestational Diabetes - JustMommies Message Boards

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

July 22nd, 2010, 08:55 PM
Yay I have gone there but it isn't very busy.
July 22nd, 2010, 09:04 PM
*Bobbie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I bet we can change that

I guess my thinking is say three months from now someone in another DDC is diagnosed with it....at least our posts will be there on the board to hopefully help that person out instead of getting lost in the shuffle on the DDC board.

On 1/31/12 at exactly 16 weeks pregnant Noah came too soon. He was our 7th loss
If you would like to see pictures of my sweet (but tiny) boy they can be viewed at www.caringbridge.org/visit/noahdarrohn they aren't the easiest pictures to look at but I am willing to share them with anyone who would like to see them <3
On August 2, 2012 we lost Sarah at 17 weeks. She was our 8th loss Her pictures can be viewed at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sarahdarrohn
There is no known explanation for my losses.

July 23rd, 2010, 05:17 AM
VeronicaBride's Avatar Jen
Yay for having a sticky. Thanks for suggesting this Trish. I do know what you mean Bobbie but I find it pretty slow over there too.

I am really hoping my numbers are good all day today cause I am planning to cheat tonight and have a really big ice cream tonight. My fasting numbers are always really low, so I am going to eat an early dinner, wait my 2 hours to test and then we are headed out for some ice cream. Now I just need to decide which one of these to get...

Signature Creations

July 23rd, 2010, 06:59 AM
-Trish-'s Avatar Mom to 3boys & a Princess
Mmmmm sounds yummy Jen!! What I wouldn't do for some REAL ice cream. We're going to the fair this weekend if the rain stays away and I plan to cheat a little too!

I was frustrated and confused by my after dinner number last night. Eating the way "I" want to eat I keep it low, in the 100-115. However the dietician stressed my eating more carbs so I tried....actually ate a "real" hamburger bun (28g carbs) (cause she told me I would have to if I needed to get the carb count still)...had a hamburger with 0 carbs though, but 28g protein..had some corn and some tomatoes... reading 130! WTH....I don't get it apparently...either that or my body is sooooo used to very little carbs that when I do have some it doesn't know what to do with them.

The dietician was talking about eating lasagna, pastas...etc...well if a hamburger makes my number high then I know all that stuff will too so what the heck will I eat every night for dinner that has the carb count but doesn't make my numbers high? Guess I still have a TON of learning to do!

Thank you so much Alethia for my GORGEOUS siggy!!

July 23rd, 2010, 07:12 AM
Renwick2002's Avatar Veteran
It also depends on the bun. I have a hard time eating white bread unless it's the "light" variety. The whole wheat buns have more dietary fiber which less the impact of the carb intake. For example, I cannot (nor have I since my first) eat Wonder bread in any form, LOL. Sometimes it's just the food itself that sets it off even if it's in the carb range :-( No noodles for me, even whole wheat! I had 1/2 c with some meat and a little sauce and I was still elevated.
July 23rd, 2010, 08:38 AM
uvatigger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a great idea!!!

July 23rd, 2010, 08:52 AM
ok I am so pissed again. My fasting was 6.2. It has to be under 5.2. 6.2 is about 111/112.
Last night I had a whole wheat english muffin, a little butter, egg, cheddar cheese and bacon. And water, at 10:10 pm. It was dinner as we were so busy with moving yesterday. I went to bed at 11:30. I didn't have anything before going to bed because I was still stuffed.
What should I have done differently?
July 23rd, 2010, 09:12 AM
Sounds like your dinner was just fine Trish, but what do I know! lol...if I don't have a snack before bed my fasting number is really low in the morning, in the 80's...which I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or not. I'm like you though and am often too stuffed for a snack...when I "make" myself eat a snack anyway, even though I'm not hungry my fasting number is pretty decent.

Try eating 3 squares of graham crackers with a layer of peanut butter on them, and maybe a sugar free pudding cup with a scoop of cool whip. That's what I have most nights for snacks and my number is usually around 92.

Last night I had the pudding cup with "lite" cool whip and a handful of shelled peanuts and my number was still 92. You just might need that little bit of protein right before bed to help bring your number down.

Like I said before, I'm just trying things and learning what works and what doesn't...hang in there!!! hugs

-Christine, you are probably right about the bread being white...I thought of that too but since it's all we had on hand I thought I'd try it. I know when my youngest and I were at the movies the other day during lunch time I had a hotdog with a regular white bun and my number was elevated then too so I'm sure it's the bread...guess I need to buy some whole wheat and freeze most of it, since I don't eat it often and my kids won't touch it LOL

July 23rd, 2010, 10:01 AM
I guess I'll need to try a snack. This is so frustrating. I had a whole wheat english muffin with peanut butter and cottage cheese for breakfast and my number was 8.6!!!!!!! WAY too high. That's around 155. I am so frustrated. I thought this was going to be hard but not this hard.
July 23rd, 2010, 10:10 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Trish,

When I was researching all this (my fasting number is always in the 90's, and I was trying to get it lower), I tried every kind of snack under the sun right before bed and nothing worked to bring it down. I then read that sometimes, your sugar levels get so low by about 2:00 am, that your body goes into a natural "shock" of sorts and starts pumping that insulin or whatever... (not sure of exactly how all this works) so it actually INCREASES your glucose level so you don't go into a physical shock while sleeping, and that is why it may be a little higher in the a.m. I've read to see if this is the case for you, to try to take your sugar level at freaking 2am, for a night or 2, just to see where your numbers are. If they are super low, then that's the problem, and the only real thing to correct that is to have a flipping protein and carb snack at that time of night! Who wants to wake up every night to eat?

But that could be the culprit...

I've also read light exercise (like 10 min) before bed can do wonders on the fasting levels (if you aren't crashing at 2:00 am).

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
July 23rd, 2010, 10:24 AM
I have read that too Trish, that some women have to get up in the middle of the night to drink a glass of milk and PB sandwich or something....sounds nutty to me but it may be what you need. Maybe try like Gwynne suggested, when you get up to pee one night just take your blood sugar reading just to see where it is in the middle of the night and go from there.

July 23rd, 2010, 10:31 AM
Well crap what a PITA. Tonight I am going to try a snack right before bed and see what tomorrow says. Exercise may really help too. I've been moving alot with moving, but maybe right before bed.
July 23rd, 2010, 11:06 AM
JENNY!!!!!! I hope you will be reading on here today. I would love a copy of your what to and not to eat please. Also when you do a walk around your office to lower your number, do you test before or after? If both, what number do you record? How much time do you spend on that said walk?
July 23rd, 2010, 11:32 AM
Ladybug, your nighttime snack is so important because of the fasting overnight. I'm often not hungry as well but I'll pay for it if I don't do something. Grab some cheese and crackers or a graham crackers and pb ........ anything. Make sure there is protein in there as well.

My fasting numbers are also lower if I do a little workout about 1.5 hours before bed. Unfortunately, I'm hurting a lot so that is usually not happening at this point.

My fasting this morning was 99 and I was bummed but it didn't go over 100 so I don't worry much about it anymore. I had a small bowl of cheerios and milk so it wasn't very protein heavy. I've thought about a snack when I pee at night because my numbers seem to be elevating more lately. I may try it tonight to see what happens.

Every day is a new day and it's a long trial and error process. Try not to stress as it will raise your sugar levels. I hope your day gets better!

Last edited by Renwick2002; July 23rd, 2010 at 01:24 PM.
July 23rd, 2010, 09:03 PM
Well fro lunch I had a whole wheat bun, PB and 1/2 banana and 1 cup of milk. My reading was 9.1 ***. Is it the milk?
For snacks today I had 2 celery with PB before lunch and my before lunch was 5.0 perfect.
Before dinner I had a dark choc fibre one bar, then an apple and 4 slices of cheddar cheese and my before dinner was 5.2. So excellent.
For dinner we had beef dip, so a WW bun, beef, mushrooms and swiss cheese, dipped in the broth, and raw veggies.
I haven't tested yet.
I have only been drinking water.
July 24th, 2010, 05:39 AM
VeronicaBride's Avatar Jen
It may be the milk. Some people say they have a hard time with milk. If your bun for dinner didn't raise your number then it is probably the milk.

So I had my ice cream last night and my fasting number was still 4.3. Yay!

July 24th, 2010, 06:10 AM
It's a tie between all 3. Although bananas are healthy they are loaded in sugar. So if you are looking at the bun: approx 28? , banana: 15 , milk: 12 - 15 ... You may have just gone over a bit. I would try half a bun if you are going to have milk and a banana with it. It can be a tricky balance and fruit can be quite the culprit sometimes Hope you have a good day!!

I had a 90 for fasting today, YES! It's been 2 weeks since it's been that low. I'm super excited. Thank you ham sandwich LOL.

Veronica, those are fabulous fasting numbers! How do you do it?
July 24th, 2010, 08:29 AM
OK I need your fasting tricks. Last night I tried the snack, I had some blueberries and alot of cottage cheese. My fasting today was still 6.2. I knew it was going to be high. I woke up at 3, and then on and off from 6:30-8. I thought about getting up and having a snack but then I wouldn't know which snack made the difference KWIM?
When you have ice cream, do you have anything else? How long before bed? How long do you sleep?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search