Hospital tours?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 23rd, 2010, 07:56 AM
klsfl10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Is everyone doing these? I just called my hospital and they don't offer tours on the days I'm off When I asked they said MAYBE L&D would let me come in without a tour but I had to call them directly and it would depend on the patient load. Just wondering what everyone else is doing...

July 23rd, 2010, 08:01 AM
The Heather's Avatar Jedi Master of Piffleness
I'm not doing a hospital tour this time around since I've done it before. I was able to do my hospital tour with my DD in the evening. Actually, it was part of the child birth class that DH and I took. I would see if they might be able to do an evening tour for you.

July 23rd, 2010, 08:01 AM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
nope - i'm not doing a tour. I was scheduled to do one when i was preggo with DS - but it would have been at 37 weeks and i didn't make it that far. It wasn't an issue to not have one - they wheel you around or show you were everything is anyway. I'm not and didn't sign up for one this time - since it's the only hospital my ob delivers at - they're isn't anything i can do if i don't like something about it - so better to not stress about it .... I did however cheat a bit and look up photo's of their rooms online
July 23rd, 2010, 08:17 AM
lexicon's Avatar formerly SarahRenee
If you can get L&D to give you a quick tour when they're not busy... that'd be great!!

My hospital doesn't do tours so L&D does them when they're not busy (you have to call ahead and make an appt and then call and confirm half a hour before in case they're busy) and I got to go Monday. It was awesome since it was just 1 on 1 and I could ask all the questions I wanted and one of the nurses took me around. So it doesn't hurt to ask!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my siggy!
July 23rd, 2010, 08:50 AM
Justjessie's Avatar Really Just Angela
Ours came standard with our childbirth classes. But they should be able to accommodate you.
July 23rd, 2010, 08:52 AM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
We just took one on Monday but only cause their rules changed so we wanted to be more up to date. There was so many people that when they would crowd in the rooms DH and I just waited outside. We were there for more of what they had to say since we've seen it before.
July 23rd, 2010, 09:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We did a quick one when pregnant with our first-it was part of the child birth class. But really as long as you know where L&D is in the hospital I wouldn't worry too much. Once you get there, they'll take you where you need to be.
July 23rd, 2010, 09:16 AM
-Trish-'s Avatar Mom to 3boys & a Princess
I think we'll be doing one. I delivered at a different hospital last time around and although I'm familar with the new hospital, I'm not familar with the maternity ward. They only do the tours the first two Sat's of each month so I need to schedule something pretty quick I guess.

Thank you so much Alethia for my GORGEOUS siggy!!

July 23rd, 2010, 09:42 AM
Veteran
I'll be doing one, its the same hospital I delivered DD, but that was 8 years ago. I'm sure things have changed, but I mostly want to go because They combine the tour with a BF class and I'll get to pre-register, plus I want to meet some of the nurses

July 23rd, 2010, 09:53 AM
Frangipani's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm scheduled for one but will be something like 38 weeks when I have it. NO idea if I'll make it or not. The hospital only does them Tues-Thurs here, which is annoying if you work!

So, I'm hoping to have one but may not get to it.
July 23rd, 2010, 10:40 AM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
We're taking the tour of our L&D on 8/11.

The childbirth class that we're taking had us take a tour of that hospital last night (but since we're not delivering there, it was a waste of 20 minutes for me!). But, we did get to see some newborn babies on the floor -- super cute!
July 23rd, 2010, 10:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am taking my tour on Aug 18th - I will be around 36 weeks then. I think it is a good idea to have it done because it takes some stress away from the delivery day. Simple things like what door to use to come in (at night some doors close)...

Thanks Claire1979 for my awesome siggy.
July 23rd, 2010, 11:10 AM
C&J's Mom's Avatar Stacy
I didn't do one with DS and won't be doing one this time. But I work in the hospital that I deliver at and with DS, I was doing a lot of stuff work wise on the L&D floor so pretty much knew where everything was. I am at the same hospital this time.

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
July 23rd, 2010, 11:14 AM
scunch's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We did a tour w/ our birthing class. It helped me in feeling like where I needed to go, etc. when I needed to go there for NSTs a few days later.

July 23rd, 2010, 11:19 AM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I never went on a hospital tour. But 3 of my kids were born at that hopsital and with my oldest in the NICU for a week, I know my way around pretty well. They are doing some renovating right now so it may be different.

July 23rd, 2010, 11:58 AM
klsfl10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been to the Maternity unit to visit a friend before but I had some questions I wanted to ask them and I wanted to see the actual L&D part and find out how much the private rooms are for afterwards. The lady I spoke with only does scheduling for tours and for all their classes so she really didn't know much. They offer night and weekend tours...unfortunately I work evenings and weekends! The 2 days during the week that DBF and I are both off they don't offer anything.

I'll call L&D next week to see if either they can show me around or at least answer my questions... Not gonna try and reach them on the weekends lol.

July 23rd, 2010, 12:14 PM
sassysarah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We did a hospital tour with our first (actually we did two because we took our birthing class somewhere else and a tour was part of the class). I think it's probably not necessary but if you have questions trying to do a tour might make you feel more prepared and less stressed out. Some hospitals offer online virtual tours as well you might want to see if they have that so at least you can see the rooms and get a bit of information.

July 23rd, 2010, 12:37 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
I think calling L&D is a good idea! They should be able to accommodate you! Our tour is a part of the child birth class that we signed up for. If it wasn't included, I would have called L&D for a tour myself. I just think it will make me feel more at ease with the whole thing.

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
July 23rd, 2010, 05:10 PM
missmich
Can you ask your boss for some time off for the tour? I think if you really want one or feel you need it your boss should let you have time off.
July 23rd, 2010, 05:17 PM
mothra's Avatar Martha
I need to set up a time to tour the hospital we might be transferring to. I want to make sure I'm totally comfortable there and it'll be worth the extra distance to try for a VBAC. I've never been there before so I want to get a good idea of the facilities to help me make my decision.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search