Diet soda linked to preterm birth

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 23rd, 2010, 03:04 PM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Women who had at least one serving of artificially sweetened soda a day while they were pregnant were 38 percent more likely to deliver preterm than women who drank no diet soda at all, the researchers report in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

Women who had at least four diet sodas a day were nearly 80 percent more likely to deliver preterm. The association was the same for normal-weight and overweight women.
Guzzling diet soda raises premature birth risk - Health - Pregnancy - msnbc.com

July 23rd, 2010, 03:11 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Interesting, but I agree a lot of variables were not addressed, so it's difficult to actually come to a solid report from this...

Is it the sweetner or the soda?
Are they drinking water in addition to this, or is this a "substitute" for their drinks?
How long have they been drinking this through pregnancy?
Do they have any pre-existing conditions that "require" them to drink diet over regular?

(etc...)

So... I agree with one of the comments: everything in moderation! Water is GOOD!!!

I drink probably about 1 diet soda a day, 5 days a week, and have FOREVER. I know I should stop, and I did every once in a while, but it's my allowance I'm not too worried about it, but it emphasizes the need to keep an eye on everything that we eat and drink!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
July 23rd, 2010, 03:42 PM
~Constance~
Since the article mentions not getting results from sugar soda I'm assuming they tracked those that drank both sugar free and corn syrup soft drinks. Otherwise how would they have come to the conclusion it was the type of sweetener and not just soda in general. In that case the findings for higher risk in the sugar substitute group are significant.
I'd like to see the actual report though and not just what the article implies.
I thought it might be caffeine related until I read the sugar soda comparison.
I don't drink them so no worries here but it would be nice to have all the data on it JIC.
July 23rd, 2010, 03:44 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
4 sodas a day?? Isn't that way over how much caffeine a pregnant women is suppose to have a day. That seems like a lot to me.

July 23rd, 2010, 04:10 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto everything in moderation - i think there is a study for everything these days

thanks for sharing - it's always good to have and see more info so that we can all make informed decisions

Last edited by alethia; July 23rd, 2010 at 04:14 PM.
July 23rd, 2010, 04:23 PM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not every artificially sweetened soda has caffeine. I stay away from the diet stuff. Not only isn't it nearly as yummy but it is linked to a lot of other things, like weight gain (go figure, huh?) because it actually makes you hungrier. I mostly just drink water but I do like to have a nice can of coke every now and then.

July 23rd, 2010, 04:26 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
sadly i'm totally addicted to diet soda - we grew up drinking it vs regular - so regular seems super sweet to me - too sweet. I have been cutting back the last 2 years b/c there is so much junk in it - but i still have it.
July 23rd, 2010, 05:20 PM
ardisbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hmmm, I didn't read the full article or report but it sounds like a reputable source...
either way I'd like to cut artificial sweeteners out of my life, thanks for posting

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search