Getting labor going, and BTDT Moms-anyone try them?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 23rd, 2010, 09:07 PM
MamaMcGaw3's Avatar Veteran
Im sure this has been asked but is anyone planning on doing all the wise tales to get labor started?? like castol oil? if so, when are you going to give it a shot?

Also, has any of the BTDT Moms tried things with other pregnancys, and how did it work for you?

July 23rd, 2010, 10:02 PM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
I walked the weekend I went into labor. They were gonna induce me and I didn't want to be. Im planning on doing the same this time.
July 23rd, 2010, 10:23 PM
Super Mummy
Castor Oil FAILED for me! It's meant to give you the runs, which leads to contractions but I didn't even get the runs. But have heard it work for others..
July 23rd, 2010, 10:26 PM
lulumama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I won't do castor oil unless I'm at 41 1/2 weeks and facing the choice of pitocin or castor oil. I've heard it can be pretty hard on your system.

What I *will* probably try, starting around 38 weeks...
spicy foods
lots of walking
DTD (if I can figure out how!)
acupressure points
acupuncture

Forever missing our baby boy, Otis Allen, born September 12, 2010 at 41 wks; left this world 36 hours later.

Blessed with our Maui Miracle - Owen Kekoa, born 9/19/11 at 35w3d!
July 23rd, 2010, 10:53 PM
dani.'s Avatar [ missing my soldier ]
I tried DTD, walking, spicy foods, special teas - nothing worked & I ended up being induced.

mommy to
dakota [05.03.06] & dash [08.24.10]

July 24th, 2010, 06:34 AM
OwensMommy25's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Evening primrose oil- took some orally and vaginally- also alot of dtd- about 4 times a day- went into labour 4 days before my due date.

I also drank basil and oregano tea and red raspberry leaf tea.

Walked about 7 blocks everyday from about 38 weeks. Bounced on my yoga ball bringing DS's head down to zero station.

I have several doulas and one midwife in my family- I know how to naturally induce labour!

Thanks to Pattyandthemoos For the wonderful siggy!

July 24th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Daphinae's Avatar Sande
I didn't do much -- tried some of the acupressure points. looked at the evening primrose oil stuff but never got any. I did walk, but I'd already hit the intense nesting on january 1st, went back to work the 2nd and was restless so went walking around the parking lot on both breaks, water broke just after midnight on the 3rd.

so I was already "ready" for labor lol.

July 24th, 2010, 08:03 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Oh, that's right, I've read that Basil and Oregano can be REAL good for getting things going, but I have no idea how fast it works or how much to take! Hmmm... gotta get some research done

I've got EPO's raring to go, but probably won't start them for another couple weeks.

Daily DTD getting closer to 39 weeks.

nice, long walks those last 2 weeks

red raspberry leaf tea (but again, won't start til about 36 weeks)

That's what I'm planning... I walked a LOT with DD, but I had to be induced with the cervadil 8 days before due date, BUT... my Bishop's score was already hitting 5 and it didn't take much to get labor rolling, so doc thinks she would have come naturally early anyway.

Acupressure and massages, that's also what I'm going for... I won't start the acupressure until 38 weeks though...

I wonder how long all this takes effect to help your body prepare for labor? I know none of it actually STARTS labor unless your body is very much ready for it, but ya know, it's interesting!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
July 24th, 2010, 08:10 AM
army wife wilcox's Avatar "Z" kids mama
I tried walking, jumping on a trampoline, running on a treadmill, DTD anything I could think and still had to be induced with both of my kids. Honestly kind of nervous about going into labor on my own, it's never happened before so I really don't know what to expect with it.

July 24th, 2010, 08:49 AM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
the only thing i am doing right now is EPO to try to get my super long cervix ready for induction .. since it's only a week or 2 away.
July 24th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Dreamsinpink2010's Avatar expecting princess #2!!!
Send a message via AIM to Dreamsinpink2010 Send a message via MSN to Dreamsinpink2010
honestly? i never did anything. i did have my membranes stripped right around my due date a couple times and within 24 hours sent me into full labor. so i might go that route. dtd? that sout of the question! this baby is up so high in my ribs its hard to get comfortable.
with my 4th baby i did the spicy foods and some eggplat recipe i found online that was supposed to help put you in labor

4 wonderful and handsome princes's, 1 princess and 1 more princess on her way! Due September 9th 2010!!!
Lacey Faith Margaret Leilani- September 13th 2010 9:19am 6 pounds. 3 oz
TTC our 3rd pink bundle

July 24th, 2010, 09:59 AM
ladybugmomma's Avatar Trisha
I have tried SO many. With my 2nd, he was due January 6, they told me over and over I wouldn't make it to new years. So when new years came and went I was frustrated. I went to the hospital 3 times in "labour" LOL I tried, nipple simulation, pressure points, castor oil, sex ( everyday), walking and walking with huge lunges LOL He was born January 16 th
I've had my membranes stripped multiple times with my 3rd and 4th and it did nothing.
July 24th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Frangipani's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishBrit View Post
I walked the weekend I went into labor. They were gonna induce me and I didn't want to be. Im planning on doing the same this time.

How much walking is everyone talking about here? Around the block? A mile? Five?
July 24th, 2010, 10:48 AM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Stay away from castor oil. It can cause problems for the baby.

Walking never worked for me. But I suppose the exercise was good anyway.

3 out of 4 times, I went into labor shortly after DTD. But considering we were doing it nearly every day, not sure if that's what caused it.

Bowling. I went bowling the night before my youngest ds was born. By the time I got home, I was in so much pain (pubic symphisis made so much worse by bowling) but less than 12 hours later, I woke up in labor. Might have to give this one another try.

July 24th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
HTML Code:
Castor Oil
Not go for the baby, it gives you the poops and the baby. The baby can be exposed in the womb to the meconium !

July 24th, 2010, 11:20 AM
mothra's Avatar Martha
I did a lot of walking and swimming my last week of pregnancy before. I was also drinking raspberry tea by the pitcher. The night before I went into labor I got a crazy craving for pineapples so I went and bought a big one, ate nearly all of it, then woke up hours later with contractions. Pineapple is supposed to soften the cervix and get things going. So I'm convinced that helped!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search