Is this high blood pressure?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2010, 10:35 AM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My swelling has been getting worse. I've lost my ankles and my hands are more swollen, my left hand especially. I decided to run to the grocery store to check my blood pressure. It was 118/87. The first number is only slightly above my normal (usually around 110 and the other day it was at 128) but the second number is more than 15 points above my normal, like 20 points higher. Is it considered to be high blood pressure if only 1 of the numbers is high or do both of the numbers have to be high? And if it's high, do I call today or do I wait until they're open on Monday?

July 24th, 2010, 10:44 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
It's not bad, really... they say when the lower number is 90 or higher is when you are really creeping into high blood pressure an Pregnancy Induced Hypertension. The top number is fantastic, so no probs there.

Is it super hot today? Have you been busy or resting? Did you try downing a TON of water, some with lemon (helps get rid of excess water retention)? It could just be typical swelling, but if you do all this (and rest) and it still is pretty badly swollen, you may want to call Monday and see what they'd advise. It's usually very concerning when the bp is rising.

I had PIH and my avg bp then was 140/93... My normal bp is 110/65 or so, so that was high for me. Protein began spilling when my bp hit 145/98 and that's the day I was induced (8 days early).

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
July 24th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Right, 90 is when they say it's high but they do say it's considered to be high if it's more than 15 points above what YOUR normal is and it is like 20 points high. But yeah, the top # is fine. BTW, I had just gotten up after sleeping 11 hours so I'd say I'm pretty well rested. It is hot out, but aside from my trip out to check my blood pressure, I have been sitting in my air conditioned house doing nothing all day. I didn't have Pre-E last pregnancy but at the end, my blood pressure was high... above 140/90. I never spilled any protein though.

July 24th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Frangipani's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
make sure you take your bp on the same machine, by the way. Different ones are calibrated (or not) differently, which may mean differences in your bp as well. I think your numbers look great right now. Keep an eye on that lower number but your systolic is fantastic.
July 24th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Yeah, it was the same machine as a few days ago. I would've guessed that they are all about the same though.

July 24th, 2010, 11:34 AM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
if you get worried about it call L&D and they will probably will tell you over the phone if they want you to come and check it out, or hopefully not to worry!
July 24th, 2010, 12:10 PM
mommyandwife08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
if you are worried call the doctor but your numbers sound fine. I have really low blood pressure when not pregnant (to the point of passing out low) and when i get pregnant it gets to be very low normal but towards the end of my pregnancy it slowly starts becoming 'normal' but the numbers are really high for me. I asked my doctor if this would be considered high blood pressure since its so high for me and she said no as long as your still within the normal range your fine. She did say my body might do some things that it normally doesnt (like swelling) since it is higher for me but she wouldnt be worried till it was out of the normal range (or really high normal in my case). i think that is what you were asking... its been a long morning so sorry if that didnt make any sense.
DS #1 07/08
Miscarriage 01/28/09
DS #2 9/10
chemical pregnancy 06/12
DD #1 06/13

"I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for Me?" ~Jeremiah 32:27~
July 24th, 2010, 01:58 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
It sounds like you are worried about it (and have been worried for the past couple days), so I would trust your instinct and call/go in! If it is out of normal for YOU, then it could mean something... Those are just my thoughts.

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]
forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
July 24th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My BP was mid 140s/mid 90s for the last 8 weeks of my last pregnancy and I had a lot of swelling, but I didn't have any urine issues so they didn't worry too much.

It sounds like YOU are worried though, so then I would go and get checked. Worrying will only make it worse.
July 24th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
I doubt the OB will get excited by those numbers they looik good to me.

140/90 is my high normal right now and I don't have to go in until the are 160/110 one number or the other. If my numbers are that high I have to repart my numbers in 5 minutes after laying down and resting.

July 24th, 2010, 04:37 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i would call you ob! Both numbers do NOT have to be higher for it to be considered stage 1 - and because you second number is usually so much lower than the 80's (like mine) it is considered high. Esp since you're having the swelling with it - i would really encourage you to call! Just so they know - worst case they say thanks we'll keep an eye on it. they don't just measure your pressure by what the readout is - but also what it normally is as a comparison in conjunction with your higher pressure. they may want to monitor your pressure with you resting to see if it goes down to the normal lower number for you - if it stays elevated in the 80's it can be a warning sign esp again with the swelling. I would call!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search