Wwyd?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2010, 03:35 PM
Angel_Maker
Ok, so today I got my bill from the OB for Evan's Delivery....it was $440..... remember my 6 wk PP where I waited for over an hour to see the OB and then tried to leave because I was having a panic attack? Well, they are trying to charge me a $35 co pay for that visit I will be calling them on Monday and letting them know that I'm NOT paying the $35 and I also am going to tell them that if their STUPID DOCTORS had done THEIR JOBS my son wouldn't have DIED and I wouldn't have missed a month of work and THEN I would've have the $$$$$$$ to pay the $440 delivery fee.....I'm so right now!!!! I would really LOVE to punch one of them in the face I don't go back to work for a couple more weeks and I won't get my first pay check until the end of August, so I'm just in a position to pay that right now.....too bad for them
July 24th, 2010, 03:41 PM
MotherFrog's Avatar lost in la la land
Honestly hun, I would fight it.

July 24th, 2010, 03:41 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
(((HUGS))) I wouldn't pay it - but that's me. I would tell them "if you'd like me to contact a lawyer for malpractice i will - but you need to take care of this bill". They had your history - and they didn't watch you the way they should have. And I DEF wouldn't pay the $35 one. I'm sorry!!
July 24th, 2010, 03:44 PM
TXErinC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with PP. Fight it.
July 24th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Angel_Maker
Thanks girls.....we should've sued them anyway, so they should be happy we didn't. I honestly didn't have the strength to file a law suit after everything happened...but considering the fact that my Bday is next week and Asher and Noah's bday is the following week, I'm in a pretty pissy mood and wouldn't mind yelling at them and threatening them anyway. I'll keep you posted!
July 24th, 2010, 03:51 PM
heathernoel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Contact your insurance company and tell them about the office visit and why you won't pay the copay, and why they should get their fee back for whatever they were billed.

Then tell them about Evan's story, and why the hospital portion will go contested. Ask the hospital for an itemized bill...details on each item, and contest the whole bill.

Go to an attorney if you must, but since their incompetence led to Evan's premature birth and death, they should bear some of the responsibility.

I you and adore you.
July 24th, 2010, 04:03 PM
MonkeyBugMommy's Avatar Brooke
Send a message via Yahoo to MonkeyBugMommy
I wish you didn't have to deal with any of this, Brandi. It just seems so cruel and unfair... I hope everything gets worked out and that you don't have to pay anything at all.
July 24th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Gemum
I'm with the other girls. There's gotta be some justice. You're a strong strong lady Brandi, I admire you so much.
July 24th, 2010, 05:23 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
((HUGS)) sweetie! I think Heather has a great idea, start with the insurance company (they LOVE contesting bills and getting their money back, they may do quite a bit of footwork for you without knowing it )

It's such a sad, sad story, but it doesn't mean you have to take the crap they are dishing out. Hang in there hun and do what's right for you!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
July 24th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Veteran
I agree. I would fight it. Just so they know that they are being held responsible and maybe it will save another from the same fate.
July 24th, 2010, 07:27 PM
wild&free's Avatar My name is Kelli :)
I definitely agree with the PP. Fight it girl, if you have the strength (and it sounds like you do!). Take all your frustrations out on them now.
(((HUGS))) We you!

.fearfully and wonderfully made.
eli grey // jude lawrence
forever loving Finley
July 24th, 2010, 07:35 PM
amonstersmomma's Avatar Coetta Dawn
Totally agree with everyone else, I'd fight it!

July 24th, 2010, 08:26 PM
lovely_serendipity's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would fight the bill and have a lawsuit in 2 seconds. I know u felt u didn't have the strength to handle it but I would hate for u to regret that choice. My aunt almost didnt sue for the death of her daugther but then she said that one day it hit her that she had to stand up and speak out for her lil angel who couldn't. She ended up donating most the money she got to charity in honor of her lost daughter.
July 24th, 2010, 10:26 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
you, Brandi! You're such an amazing person! (Just so you know )

I agree with Heather, start with the insurance company, just to get things rolling. Explain the situation to them, and that you are contesting the bill, and, like Gwynne said, they may do a lot of the work for you.

Second, call the billing office, explain your work situation, and set up a payment plan (just that you will pay when you start working again). Even if you don't have any intention of paying the bill, it will save you the hassle of dealing with late payments and possibly having it affect your credit.

Then, call the doctor's office and ream them out! Explain that you are absolutely not paying at $35 co-pay for a visit you never actually had, and that you are not paying over $400 for the doctor's failure to properly care for you and Evan. And go ahead and threaten a lawsuit (that should get them to get rid of it right away!).

Also, it is absolutely not too late to file a lawsuit if you so choose. Of course, I can definitely see both sides. In a lot of ways, it's a lot of effort and emotion and money to file a lawsuit and could be like rubbing salt in your wounds. In other ways, it can be healing, to know that you are fighting for your son and possibly saving another momma the grief of losing a child. Whatever you chose, know that the statue of limitations on a medical malpractice suit is well over a year in ANY state (meaning you still have time to decide!). As far as taking money from the hospitals/doctors...they carry insane medical malpractice insurance for this reason, and your case would likely settle out of court. Plus, you lost time and maternity leave because of their mistake. Leave that you would be able to use for your December baby and baby Owen in the spring If you would even want to consider it, at least talk to a lawyer about the situation and see what he/she has to say. (But don't feel pressured!! Of course it is more than understandable if you decide it is best for you and your family to heal and forgive and go forward, whatever you chose, we'll support you!!)

July 25th, 2010, 06:17 AM
MariaL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with everyone else. I'm so sorry you have to go through all of this.
July 25th, 2010, 06:44 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with everyone else. If you have the strength right now I'd call, get to talk to the right person, completely b**** them out, threaten a law suit if they don't immediately drop all charges. I'd also contact your insurance office to give them a heads up, let them know your story, and maybe they'll help you take care of it.

July 25th, 2010, 07:08 AM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
Don't have anything to add that hasn't bee said. I just wanted you to know that I think you are an amazingly strong person. Do what feels right in your heart.

<3

July 25th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Renwick2002's Avatar Veteran
I don't have any idea what happened but you said enough for me to know that you shouldn't be paying any bills. I"m so sorry you went through a loss like that. I agree with the other ladies, it's never too late. More than likely the hospital will settle with you so it's not a public disaster. Money doesn't make up for the loss but it makes them " pay" (in every sense of the word) for what they did.
July 25th, 2010, 08:17 AM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2

Fight them sweetie. If you're strong enough to do it, fight them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search