NICU... mom sleep there???

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2010, 06:44 PM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
another post about how long you will stay in the hospital made me think about the NICU... does the NICU in your hospital have a place for mom to stay right in the NICU?? ours does, however if the baby needs a ventilator for more than 24 hours they have to move to a different hospital where you can stay in the Ronald McDonald house (but that is not in the hospital)

what happens at your hospital? I can't imagine the moms who have to go home without their baby each night
July 24th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Renwick2002's Avatar Veteran
My friend had her baby about 6 weeks early and baby was in the NICU for 3 weeks. Mom was released within 48 hours and could visit baby at anytime. She left tapes with voices and tried to come for as many feedings as possible, etc. She had to balance her 3 yo and newborn and the 3 yo couldn't be in the NICU.
July 24th, 2010, 07:05 PM
missmich
I don't know. I can't imagine going home with out my baby for some reason though.
July 24th, 2010, 07:15 PM
whitehouse's Avatar My name is Kelli :)
I'm not sure what ours does either! I guess I haven't really thought of the possibility of my baby going to the NICU... but it could happen, right? Good question!
I have heard of the Ronald McDonald house though, I think that is awesome!

.fearfully and wonderfully made.
eli grey // jude lawrence
forever loving Finley
July 24th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Veteran
Mine had an overnight room that you used when baby was getting ready to go home. Kinda like a "practice run" for parents who had a child going on home on meds, monitors and or oxygen.

Other than that.. no, you were not allowed to sleep there. But could call and visit anytime for as long as you wanted.
July 24th, 2010, 07:45 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When DS was born there was a NICU downstairs - so i slept upstairs when DS was downstairs. There isn't any place to sleep in the NICU though - they really want you to go home and rest. They did have a recliner chair though so you could relax there and spend good lengths of time. I requested to be discharged a day earlier than they were going to because i had a really hard time sleeping at the hospital - so i went home to sleep and shower and then spent my days at the NICU, until he was discharged a week latter.

At the hospital I'm having DD at there is no NICU - so if something goes arye she would be transfered to the children's hospital - where there is no where for mom to stay. I would have to get discharged from the birth hospital and then visit her.

I'm saying lots and lots of T&P's that we have no more NICU babies in this group!
July 24th, 2010, 07:48 PM
klsfl10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
One of my friend's daughter had to be in the NICU in another hospital near here but she wasn't allowed to stay with her... I just assumed they were all the same, but I am only about 15 minutes from the hospital anyway so it wouldn't be a huge deal to drive over.

July 24th, 2010, 08:08 PM
mamato4boys's Avatar Daleen
With the twins...They were born at 30 weeks... we could not stay at the hospital (there is a Ronald Mcdonald house right across the street, but we also had a 3 year old at home and the NICU does not allow children ) but we did have the overnight room before we went home....and it was really nice.

THANK YOU BAM FOR MY AWESOME SIGGY
Always Remembering Otis, Evan Navarro, Riley, and Patrick
~September 2010 DDC's Perfect Angels~
July 24th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't know about my hospital. My son was in the NICU, but only for 8 hours after birth, so I was still at the hospital anyways.
July 24th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
DD#1 was in the NICU for 3 weeks, the hospital is 1 1/2 away from our home. I stayed in a room on the same floor as the NICU. We had to pay for the room, but I ws right in the hospital.

Thank You tasha_mae

July 28th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Kobain's Mommy's Avatar Future A&M Aggies Mommy
Lurking... My baby was in the NICU for a week after birth, c-section baby. Luckily we live 2 blocks from the hospital (even closer than the RMD house). Anyway, while I was in the hospital I stayed in my room and would go down to the NICU, it was down the hall. I could go there whenever I wanted for however long I wanted. When I was getting tired DH would have me go back to the room to sleep. He was put in the NICU because he was born at 37weeks and was in respiratory distress at birth. Then he was labeled frailer to thrive because he was born at 10lbs 9oz but dropped to 9lbs 4oz quickly. He then didn't want to gain weight.

I was released on Saturday and the NICU had us room in with baby till Monday. We could have longer if we wished. Our NICU had rocking recliners in each of the baby's rooms. There was many times I fell asleep in that chair holding the baby. I had fantastic nurses that would quietly move baby back to his bed without waking me.

made by BAM

July 29th, 2010, 05:11 AM
Canadianne
Our hospital has something called 'Care by Parent' where babies can stay with their parents once they are out of critical danger. It allows for the parents to get used to caring for their baby while still receiving the medical treatment that they need. There is a cost for the room, though I imagine it is covered by most supplemental insurance.

I know of a family who just spent a couple of weeks in the Care by Parent room while their son was treated for an infection. They now have a healthy boy at home.
July 29th, 2010, 06:54 AM
MonkeyBugMommy's Avatar Brooke
Send a message via Yahoo to MonkeyBugMommy
My hospital has a fully equipped NICU (which makes me feel a lot more comfortable than if they didn't!). If the baby has to stay in the NICU after you are discharged, they will let her stay in her "Mother-Baby Suite" (her regular room) for as long as possible, as long as there are beds available, at no charge. I don't know where the NICU is in relation to the suites, though. I'm hoping no NICU for us, period!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search