BTDT mamas who have had an Epi....

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 25th, 2010, 01:52 PM
wild&free's Avatar My name is Kelli :)
(Just a few questions....)

How far along were you when you got your epidural?

Did the epidural make your legs go numb? How long did your legs stay numb after birth?

Honestly, how bad was the needle stick?

Did it take the pain away? Was the "pressure" you felt (if you felt "pressure") painful?

Will you be getting another Epi with this LO?

.fearfully and wonderfully made.
eli grey // jude lawrence
forever loving Finley
July 25th, 2010, 01:57 PM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
My situation was different. I had piction (sp) for about 4 hours before I got my epi. I was around 4 cm and miserable. I wanted one and wanted one immediately once I found out the pic was working, but they needed 30 minutes to get fluid in me before the epi. So keep that in mind once you decide to get one.

Did the epidural make your legs go numb? How long did your legs stay numb after birth?
Yes, and I remember being weirded out at first, but so happy that I could actually focus on having a baby and not the endless pain that was causing me to see red splotches....

for me - not bad at all. I only felt little sticks (like little bee stings that last .5 a second) around the spot where the epi went in. I didn't feel much of the epi go in at all.

Did it take the pain away? Was the "pressure" you felt (if you felt "pressure") painful?
It did take the pain away, but I think mine was turned too high b/c I couldn't feel any pressure or the "ring of fire". I discussed that with my OB now and she said she won't turn it that high this time.

to quote a favorite tv show "abso-freaking-lutely"

July 25th, 2010, 01:59 PM
pbcups10's Avatar Super Mommy
How far along were you when you got your epidural? I was induced. Got the pitocin at noon and the epi followed at one. My body was ready. I was already 3cm when I checked in. I was induced due to baby measuring big.

Did the epidural make your legs go numb? How long did your legs stay numb after birth? Yes, you are numb from the waste down. I was able to feel everything about an hour after delivery. BUT my epi was already wearing off as I pushed. The machine started beeping shortly before pushing began and I declined anymore. It worked out perfect. I was able to feel the contractions well and push against them but still numb in my lady parts.

Honestly, how bad was the needle stick? Seriously I didn't feel a thing. The nurse and anestheisiologist actually commented on how still I was able to remain so maybe I'm not normal there.

Did it take the pain away? Was the "pressure" you felt (if you felt "pressure") painful? Yes it was great. The only pressure I felt was when baby was coming and I yelled for the nurse I had to push. It wasn't very painful.

Will you be getting another Epi with this LO? I'm going to see how I progress. I have a feeling I'm going quickly this time. If I have time I most likely will. I really had a great experience with it.

July 25th, 2010, 02:05 PM
*Amie*
How far along were you when you got your epidural? 6cm, after 9 hours of "established" labour.

Did the epidural make your legs go numb? How long did your legs stay numb after birth? Yes, I could hardly feel a thing, and I panicked so much about pushing as I couldn't tell when I was having a contraction or feel if I was pushing properly!!

Honestly, how bad was the needle stick? I can't even remember, so it couldn't have been that bad at all

Did it take the pain away? Was the "pressure" you felt (if you felt "pressure") painful? No pain at all!.. which is good, as it was all getting too much and mine and Tylers heartrates were going crazy - the epi sorted that!

Will you be getting another Epi with this LO? I was determined not to, and didn't (the labour was very quick though!)

My experience put me off epi's... but I think mine was turned up too high. I've heard people say they're fab - I couldn't stand up straight for days, and I could hardly walk - I shuffled lol!

July 25th, 2010, 02:07 PM
LifenTheFastLane's Avatar Mommy 2 Rhys~Rhylee~Jessa
I was induced with both of my boys. That being said.
Ds#1 I was around 3 cm dilated after being on pitocin for a few hours.
Ds#2 I was around 4cm dilated after being on pitocin for a few hours. With both boys the epidural sped up my labor, once I got the epidural and I was relaxed I dilated rather quickly.

Ds#1 I wouldn't describe it as numb, you just can't feel crap! lol. It worked instantly and it wore off within 30 minutes after they turned it off.
Ds#2 The first epidural didn't work, it made a stabbing pain down one butt check, which they don't want and only worked partially on one side but I could still feel the pain They tried repositioning it 2 or 3 times, which means they had to rip that full back tape off each time..I think that hurt the worst, they finally had to re stick me and it worked the 2nd time but made my blood pressure drop to deadly levels and I had to be given a shot to raise it so I wouldn't black out. After I had him and was cleaned up and put in another room I was already up walking baby around in his bassinet.

Ds#1 & #2, the needle isn't that bad, they do numb you, the painful or hard part i should say is trying to be perfectly still while you are in the middle of having a contraction and they can't have you move AT ALL.

Ds#1 & 2, yes once they actually got it placed correctly especially with ds#2 the pain was completely gone, I couldn't feel the contractions at all. It was VERY VERY VERY NICE. I was able to just lay there and relax, even rested a little. I only felt pressure when I was at a complete 10cm, and it feels like the baby is about to fall out of you, I don't think the epidural can take away that pressure, once you feel that you KNOW it's time to push.

OH YES!!!

Last edited by LifenTheFastLane; July 25th, 2010 at 02:12 PM.
July 25th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had pitocin, but was not dilating. I got the epidurals when I was only about 2 cms I think-but that was after 18 hours+ of labor the first time and the 2nd time they didn't make me wait as long becasue they knew I wouldn't dilate without it.

Legs were numb, but I was able to walk to the bathroom myself before I moved rooms, so I guess they were only numb about an hour past the birth.

With #1 my leg kicked out and I told them I felt like I had touched an electric animal fence-which prompted them to ask me all kinds of weird questions like was I tasting metal in my mouth, but everything was okay. It took them 3 tries with each kid to get the epidural in-apparently the spaces where it goes in were difficult to work with.

It took the pain of the contractions away, but I still defintely felt pain down there during the pushing phase, which lasted an hour for each of my boys.

Pretty sure I won't dilate without it.
July 25th, 2010, 03:30 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I was 5 cm when I requested it, 6 cm by the time they got there and gave it to me. That, to me, was perfect... I got to feel some of the pains of labor, get tired of it, and then get the heavenly relief with an epidural

My legs were numb, but not like they were asleep or anything. In fact, when I tried to put weight on them 1.5 hours later, I realized they were more numb than I thought (or I have too much weight on them! ) I think at about 2 hours or so, I was able to get up and walk around, but gingerly fearing I'd fall...

Welllll.... I had all back labor, so I could never tell if the extreme pain was contraction or the needle stick. It all meshed together. I think it was more contraction because I'd start to really moan, and think, wow, this epi thing sucks, and then they said he wasn't doing anything, it was a contraction...

It took the pain of the contractions away, but I was able to feel the pressure with contractions and knew when to push. I think it was perfect.

Oh, hells yeah. [/QUOTE]

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
July 25th, 2010, 03:33 PM
** Mandy **
How far along were you when you got your epidural? Several nurses asked me after I got checked in if I wanted one and I told them all I did so once the contractions really started up they gave it to me.

Did the epidural make your legs go numb? How long did your legs stay numb after birth? I don't know if I would really say numb because I'm pretty sure I could still move them. I don't remember it being scary or an issue at all with me.

Honestly, how bad was the needle stick? I honestly didn't really feel it. I was in such pain from the contractions at that point that it was nothing.

Did it take the pain away? Was the "pressure" you felt (if you felt "pressure") painful? It totally took the pain away and any pressure was not painful.

Will you be getting another Epi with this LO? Definitely!!!

July 25th, 2010, 03:35 PM
VeronicaBride's Avatar Jen
How far along were you when you got your epidural? I requested it at 4cm's and it took about 30-45 minutes to get it so not sure how far along I was by then

Did the epidural make your legs go numb? How long did your legs stay numb after birth? Yep my legs were numb but I don't remember them being numb too long after birth

Honestly, how bad was the needle stick? It wasn't bad at all. It didn't feel any worse than when they draw blood from me.

Did it take the pain away? Was the "pressure" you felt (if you felt "pressure") painful? It took away all my pain. Honestly I only felt pressure at the end and then it was just pressure, not pain.

Will you be getting another Epi with this LO? Oh yes

July 25th, 2010, 03:40 PM
therealjimi's Avatar Veteran
How far along were you when you got your epidural? 5cm

Did the epidural make your legs go numb? How long did your legs stay numb after birth? not totally numb, i could move them, just not very well hehe.

Honestly, how bad was the needle stick? the anesthesiologist that did mine actually waited until I was having a contraction so I didnt even feel it.

Did it take the pain away? Was the "pressure" you felt (if you felt "pressure") painful? Took all the pain away, was awesome!

Will you be getting another Epi with this LO? Absolutely!

July 25th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Justjessie's Avatar Really Just Angela
How far along were you when you got your epidural? With Justin I was 2-3 cms...with Sierra I was 3 cms.

Did the epidural make your legs go numb? How long did your legs stay numb after birth? Yep! Legs went numb! After the birth, they weren't numb for long...by the time they were done with me I felt everything again!

Honestly, how bad was the needle stick? Not bad. It really takes 15 seconds and it's uncomfortable pressure but not pain. Completely tolerable. A shot hurts MUCH worse. Stubbing your toe hurts INSANELY worse.

Did it take the pain away? Was the "pressure" you felt (if you felt "pressure") painful? Again, the pressure was uncomfortable...it took the pain away ENTIRELY. I watched the contractions on the monitor but felt nothing.

Will you be getting another Epi with this LO? ASAP =)
July 25th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Daphinae's Avatar Sande
I really don't recall. Probably 4 or 5 cm.

Completely numb. DH and MIL held one leg up during pushing, the nurse had the other, because I couldn't feel or use them at all. lol. They stayed numb for a couple hours -- but I am a little more susceptible to numbing agents that the average person. Had breast surgery when I was 16 to remove some some lumps, and woke up 3 hours later than I should have!! So knew that going into it.

I hardly noticed it at all.

Took away all the pain and pressure. I didn't feel any of the contractions (just on the machine) for probably 3 hours, until it was close to push time. Then I could feel pain and pressure. My Dr wanted me to have about 70% feeling so that I could push and feel. I had an extra button too though that I could hit every 30 minutes and give myself an extra shot of the epidural medication. So had the baseline, then the extra shot. Used the extra shot religiously for the last 2 hours probably, but then they took it away from me at push time, since I was suppose to be able to feel. lol.

Yes, definitely. Hopefully I can focus a little bit more on how to breathe and such. I couldn't remember ANYTHING from the birthing class. I wouldn't of made it through without DH and my MIL and the nurse. I plan on having both DH and MIL with me again this time too.

July 25th, 2010, 04:55 PM
TXErinC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How far along were you when you got your epidural?4 or 5cm I think

Did the epidural make your legs go numb? How long did your legs stay numb after birth? yes,they felt like dead tree trunks. I was pushing for 4 hours so it wore off pretty quick. It was wearing off while I was still pushing.

Honestly, how bad was the needle stick? Don't remember it, but I remember my DH turned green. Advise him to not look if he doesn't like needles.

Did it take the pain away? Was the "pressure" you felt (if you felt "pressure") painful? Pressure was there and it wasn't painful at all. It was still hard work though

Will you be getting another Epi with this LO? I will if I'm induced, if I go natural, I'll play it by ear
July 25th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXErinC View Post
Honestly, how bad was the needle stick? Don't remember it, but I remember my DH turned green. Advise him to not look if he doesn't like needles.
Hubby almost passed out when I got the epidural with our first.....for kiddo #2 he asked me (ahead of time) if he could leave the room. I agreed....it wouldn't do me any good to have him conked out!
July 25th, 2010, 05:16 PM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
my water was leaking for over 24 hours so they wanted to get me going faster ( i was already 5cm so if i wasn't a first time mom i would have told them no to the pitocin... lived and learned)..... started the epidural at 8cm.... tool 45mins to get it in and was 10 cm when they got it in

my legs were numb but strangly it didn't seem that weird, i really don't know when it was that my legs worked completely again... i know at 3 hours i couldn't walk to the NICU ... but i had a top up as i was pushing cus of pain in my hip (note though that i couldn't feel the forceps but my hip was killing me to the point of tears)

i don't remember the actual needle, so i guess not bad

i had to wait 2 hours before they let me push (i had gotten to 10 so fast that he didn't come down so we waited) but that whole time waiting i felt nothing, not even pressure.... when pushing i felt EXTREME pain in my left hip (he spent 2.5hours raming his head into it) but down there i felt nothing, not even the forcepts

even after the experience i had getting it in (a story i will not tell you now and one i hope never happens to any of u, or me again) i will still get another one if i have back labour again! front labour i will see but no matter what anyone says i think they are worth it!!!!

sorry for the essay

Last edited by irish luck; July 25th, 2010 at 05:21 PM.
July 25th, 2010, 05:35 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How far along were you when you got your epidural? I got the epi before labor started because i had a spinal tap that didn't clot was extreamly painful - so they gave me an epi to take away the spinal tap pain, it was however a pretty low dose.

Did the epidural make your legs go numb? How long did your legs stay numb after birth? No - your legs should not go numb, mine did not. They acutally asked me fairly often to make sure i could still feel them

Honestly, how bad was the needle stick? wayyyyy better than the spinal tap stick - i honestly didn't notice it that much - it wasn't bad and was much better than i anticipated

Did it take the pain away? Was the "pressure" you felt (if you felt "pressure") painful? No, again i had a low dose - i could feel ALL of the pressure and the contractions on my left side (yes, it can unevenly distribute and not cover all your sides) the pressure to me was worse than the contractions...once again i had a low dose so probably why i felt so much.

Will you be getting another Epi with this LO? possibly, we'll see how it goes.
July 25th, 2010, 05:49 PM
lexicon's Avatar formerly SarahRenee
How far along were you when you got your epidural? I was on pitocin for about 18 hours (8 1/2 hours of which I was in back labor) and only dilated to 3 by the time I gave in and got the epidural

Did the epidural make your legs go numb? How long did your legs stay numb after birth? Yes but I could still move them a little bit since it hadn't taken full effect. I was up and walking around 30 minutes after delivery. I did fall in the bathroom though

Honestly, how bad was the needle stick? First of all I have to say that I am TERRIFIED of needles. And it was NOT that bad... it was like getting stung. The hardest part was staying still during my contractions so I sat on the edge of the bed and wrapped my legs around DH and he held me still so I wouldn't jump.

Did it take the pain away? Was the "pressure" you felt (if you felt "pressure") painful? It helped a LOT with the pain. I dilated fully within minutes and I felt SO MUCH PRESSURE... I was crossing my legs telling the nurse I had to poop!! I definitely felt the ring of fire but I pushed the button for a extra dose to get thru the crowning part. I still had the urge to push and it FELT SO GOOD to push.

Will you be getting another Epi with this LO? I'm open to that option!! I want to labor as long as I can but I won't be afraid to ask for it if I feel like I can't do it anymore or I'm not making enough progress since last time the epidural proved to help speed things up... I had baby within 15 minutes of getting it!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my siggy!
July 25th, 2010, 06:06 PM
SSgt_Wifey_USMC
How far along were you when you got your epidural? 39.5 weeks, was induced due to possible Pre-Eclampsia.

Did the epidural make your legs go numb? Yes

How long did your legs stay numb after birth? i believe after i gave birth it started to wear off.

Honestly, how bad was the needle stick? it was burning sensation for a half a second and after that is heaven LOL

Did it take the pain away? Was the "pressure" you felt (if you felt "pressure") painful? it subsided the contactions ALOT but it didn't make it fully go away it was in the tolerable level. the only pressure i felt was when i knew i wanted to push.

Will you be getting another Epi with this LO? we will see, i'd like to see how far i can go with the contractions before jumping the gun and just getting it as i did the first time around.
July 25th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole

First one was ordered when i was at 2cm and the anestiolgist arrived when i was at 10cm, one hour later. I got my epi when at 10cm adn it was not too late!

Second one the Epi was ordered at 3cm and the epi took 2 hours to get there and in.

Word to teh wise order it early because you 1. have to wait in line and 2. It is not kept on tap

First time I don't remember the legs being numb I think they were but i was up pretty soon after maybe 40 to 80 minutes.

Deco9nd time my legs were defiately numb my right very numb as they had me tilted for the bed blood flow to baby and one got more epi than the otehr and it was gone for a long time. Maybe 2 to 3 hours.

Not bad. More scary than painful.

I have had twp perfect Epi's. No pain with the ablity to push effectively and the pressure was nice as it let me know when the baby started coming out. I literally felt her head go through my pelvic girdle and said hey here she comes. She was out in three pushes.

Yes.

I am skipping the other medications that take the "edge" off the pain. It made me loopy and I couldn't open my eyes and I just didnot enjoy that feeling during or after the birth. It was called staynol or something like that...

July 26th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How far along were you when you got your epidural? I was 3cm when they decided they wanted to get it in because they thought I was going to go fast (pregnant with twins, they wanted me to have one because of the risk of complications during delivery). By the time I got the required fluids, etc, I was 5cm.

Did the epidural make your legs go numb? How long did your legs stay numb after birth? My legs never went numb. My epi was pretty light and I could actually still roll myself over in bed from side to side and sit up when I wanted to.

Honestly, how bad was the needle stick? I don't know if I had a really good anesthesiologist or what, but I didn't even notice. I guess the contractions overshadowed the poke!!

Did it take the pain away? Was the "pressure" you felt (if you felt "pressure") painful? It didn't take all of the pain away but I think it's because I had more back labor than I did pain from uterine contractions.

Will you be getting another Epi with this LO? I'm going to see how this one goes. Since they kind of "required" me to have one with the girls, I want to see how this labor pans out.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search