Epidural... SO in room?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 25th, 2010, 05:49 PM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
Kelli's post made me think about this.... just wanted to let the girls know that have not had one before that some hospitals DO NOT ALLOW ANYONE IN THE ROOM WHEN YOU GET THE EPIDURAL

i knew this because a friend who had a baby a month before me found out when they made her husband leave for it.... i was glad to know ahead of hand cus i was nervous about it and not knowing i would be alone would have made me really scared....\

just thought i would throw it out there to ask your OB if you think being alone for it is something you would want to know in advance
July 25th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Daphinae's Avatar Sande
Our hospital let DH be the one to stand in front of me (I was sitting on the edge of the bed, curled into DH). I suppose some would rather it be a nurse right there, but if was easier on ME to have it be DH.

July 25th, 2010, 05:56 PM
lexicon's Avatar formerly SarahRenee
My last hospital had this policy but they made an exception since I'm deaf and I had to be able to tell them exactly when I was having a contraction so it was decided that DH would hold me still, the nurse was next to him, epi guy was behind me... and as I was telling DH whenever my contractions were starting/ending he'd tell the nurse. It was over quickly though.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my siggy!
July 25th, 2010, 06:22 PM
SSgt_Wifey_USMC
when i got mine the first time, my mom was able to stay when i got my epidural.
July 25th, 2010, 06:27 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I am not sure what my hospital does, as DH wasn't with me for the epidural with DD (he was home taking care of the dogs, it was -6 degrees out, so he couldn't leave them for the whole time outside!)

THis time, I *think* my hospital would allow it, I barely remember my nurse asking if anyone was here when I had it, so I think they will let him there. He'll be the one in front of me trying to get me to keep my cool and stay still!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
July 25th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Castaway
75% of them will NOT let anyone in the room while you have one inserted, ask your hospital on their policies about that.

July 25th, 2010, 06:44 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our hospital also let DH in the room and actually had him in front of me for me to lean on/ hold on to.

but yes, that is a great question to ask your doctor/ hospital.
July 25th, 2010, 06:47 PM
dani.'s Avatar [ missing my soldier ]
My DH was also in the room - I looked at him the entire time. There was a nurse in there talking to me as well to help keep me distracted. I remember DH's eyes were as big as oranges when he first saw the needle [I never looked - lol].

mommy to
dakota [05.03.06] & dash [08.24.10]

July 25th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Castaway
I think that's a big reason why a lot of them do not let others in the room, re- size of needle. I hear it's pretty darn big, I've had two but never saw the needle. I had a spinal block last time, they wouldn't let anyone in the room for that either but my mom was allowed in immediately after. I thought it was funny, she's a RN, she has seen all this stuff before and they still wouldn't let her in.

July 25th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Justjessie's Avatar Really Just Angela
They won't let DH in the room with me at ours. My ex husband wasn't allowed in when I had the kids (it was probably for the best) but I wish Keith could be the one to stand in front of me while they do it.
July 25th, 2010, 07:06 PM
mothra's Avatar Martha
That's really interesting, never thought about it. Will have to put that on my list of questions when we go tour the potential hospital.

July 25th, 2010, 07:15 PM
dani.'s Avatar [ missing my soldier ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAM View Post
I think that's a big reason why a lot of them do not let others in the room, re- size of needle. I hear it's pretty darn big, I've had two but never saw the needle. I had a spinal block last time, they wouldn't let anyone in the room for that either but my mom was allowed in immediately after. I thought it was funny, she's a RN, she has seen all this stuff before and they still wouldn't let her in.
I'm hoping for a spinal this time - I've heard they're more common for a scheduled c-section [mine was not]. DH hates needles - so his reaction was no surprise to me.

mommy to
dakota [05.03.06] & dash [08.24.10]

July 25th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hubby was there the first time, but did not want to be there the second time. He'll be out of the room this time too.
July 25th, 2010, 07:21 PM
~Tiffany~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I never thought about that. DH was standing in front of me for me to lean on both times.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search