How much...

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 25th, 2010, 06:20 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
... time do you spend cleaning each day?

How long does it STAY clean?

Are you a... WFHM, SAHM or WM?

Just curious because it seems that I can spend hours cleaning in the morning (and I do) and by afternoon, you can't tell anything has been done (thanks to my tiny tornado). It is so depressing, especially because I do NOT have time to waste doing futile things. At least when I WORK for several hours, I can see major results on my projects and it really feels like I get stuff done!

It seems like cleaning is futile

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
July 25th, 2010, 06:26 PM
J9+J+C=Complete's Avatar Charlotte & Jacob's Mommy
I'm a WM for 9 months of the year and then SAHM for three months (teaching).

I vaccuum at least one floor of the house every day. We have a lab who sheds like nothing I've ever seen. Whatever floor I vaccuum that day, I tend to also straighten, clean the bathroom on that level, etc. I don't spend more than an hour a day.

TODAY on the other hand, I was a crazy person (as was hubs). He built a third wall for the shower/tub he installed, moved the plumbing, put up the hardiebacker wall and moved the shower head over from up in the attic since it's a rain shower head. I cleaned the entire house today PLUS totally redid Jacob's room, including moving furniture and bringing a new shelving unit with TONS of great toy storage up to his room Needless to say, I am SORE and EXHAUSTED. I'm going to hate life tomorrow...

Can we say, nesting time has started?
July 25th, 2010, 06:38 PM
SSgt_Wifey_USMC
time do you spend cleaning each day? i clean til my back starts hurting.

How long does it STAY clean? not that long with 2 yr old and a husband LOL

Are you a... WFHM, SAHM or WM? SAHM
July 25th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Veteran
I am a WM. I work generally 8 1/2 hrs a day, four days a week. My hours vary and my days vary. I get every other weekend off and have two days during the week off, usually. The two days I am off, I clean pretty much all day long. I can always find something I need to do. The days that I work I usually spend an hour before or after work doing laundry or picking things up. It seems like I don't get any place, I have an almost five year old who is still in to everything and my husband...lol. He works a lot and drives at leas an hour to work each day...so his job is dishes Just cleaned out Lexi's closet to make room for birthday stuff and baby stuff, got all the baby clothes cleaned and sorted and put away, bag packed for the hospital, bassinet up, all the rooms picked up (although that's a daily thing), crib is up but bed isn't made. The darn cats keep getting in the crib and then I have to rewash all the bedding b/c they shed all over it. Learned this time tho, after the forth time , I put an old sheet in the crib on top of the crib pad and waiting til closer to put the bedding back on.

July 25th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Justjessie's Avatar Really Just Angela
Like Jeanine, I work for 9 months, off for 3.

During the school year, without a baby, and without being pregnant, I clean after work for about an hour and the kids help and DH too...and we get it all done.

Right now I'm off...DH doesn't do much since I'm home all the time...the kids are home all day...cleaning is FUTILE. I clean all day non stop and take a break when my back hurts.

HOWEVER...being pregnant and with a newborn...I will not clean at all and I won't start again until Jessica starts eating the animal turds off the ground.

The best part is that a week from today is a baby shower...AT MY HOUSE. I had help...but everyone that was going to help kind of fell off the face of the earth...DH might take a day off but we need him to save his days for the baby.
July 25th, 2010, 07:08 PM
klsfl10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Cleaning? What's that?

No, seriously, I work 4 10 hour days so when I'm working virtually no cleaning gets done unless its minimal, like picking up the glasses from the coffee table and getting them in the dishwasher. On the days when I'm off we/I clean.

July 25th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
...time do you spend cleaning each day?

-Every morning and night I sweep the living room, kitchen, laundry room, and half bathroom (dog hangs out on the main floor most of the time so there is lots of fur to sweep up)=5 minutes x2 =10 minutes

-Clean up meal dishes, wipe counters, etc=maybe 10 minutes x3 meals a day=30 minutes

-Help with general toy pick up before lunch, dinner, and bedtime=10 minutes x3=30 minutes-nearly every kind of toy has their own separate bin (Little People stuff, Legos, Geo Trax, match box cars, etc) so the kids have learned from about 1 year old that everything gets put away and has its own spot which greatly helps because it's not just a toy explosion in here

=About an hour total for general pick up each day

I also usually do 1-2 loads of laundry per day so that's another 15-20 minutes or so.

Then I do the regualr cleaning once a week-vacuuming, dusting, etc and I can get that done in 2 hours if I stay focused.

How long does it STAY clean?
I'd say my house is clean most of the time since we clean up as we use things every day. My neighbor always teases me that she has never seen the house dirty.

Are you a... WFHM, SAHM or WM?
I basically consider myself a SAHM, but I watch 2 kids part time too.

Last edited by ~Kris~; July 25th, 2010 at 07:16 PM.
July 25th, 2010, 10:53 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Depends on the day. Daily or every other day I clean the kitchen. That stays clean for as long as it takes my roommate to come in and eat something. I vacuum once a week (takes about 15 minutes or so), and that lasts about a day because of the crazy shedding cat. And my bathroom I clean weekly or so. Otherwise, I tidy as I go. If I had a house, I'm sure it would be lots different, though. It's easy to keep an apartment clean.

July 26th, 2010, 05:33 AM
MariaL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
SAHM and with 5 kids home for the holidays I clean all the time, lol.
July 26th, 2010, 05:57 AM
~Constance~
About an hour a day for general pickup and 4-6 hours on Friday for floors, scrubbing and dusting. Another 4-8 hours a week organizing. Those numbers don't count dishes and laundry.
I'm home with the two kids all the time in 800 square feet. It never stays clean in here anymore.
When they were little though I could keep the house clean in 4 hours a week total. That was nice!
I think space and organization is the biggest time waster for me. One more bedroom and two more closets would cut at least two hours of cleaning out of my week. It so often feels like I'm playing tetris trying to get our stuff(and we don't have much!)tidy in such cramped quarters. We don't an attic, basement or garage for storage either so it's tough.
July 26th, 2010, 06:16 AM
J9+J+C=Complete's Avatar Charlotte & Jacob's Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbagepatch View Post
I think space and organization is the biggest time waster for me. One more bedroom and two more closets would cut at least two hours of cleaning out of my week. It so often feels like I'm playing tetris trying to get our stuff(and we don't have much!)tidy in such cramped quarters.

We have a relatively small townhouse. It's no more than 1500 sq ft with three bedrooms and one full (being renovated) bath (UGH), 3 people, and a 95 pound lab. We have a garage, but it is PACKED with hubs tools. He could run a Home Depot from his garage!

Jacob's toys are what annoys me the most and make the house the most clutter-y.

That's why I finally moved the almost floor to ceiling shelving unit to Jacob's room. It has 12 "cubbies" 8 baskets. I finally was able to move ALL his toys from all the levels of the townhouse to his room and they stay hidden in the baskets. One of the biggest reliefs was that now four baskets of books that were taking up his closet floor (he has A LOT of books) are now taking up the top four shelves on the unit. All his stuff is in one place and he can keep the tornado in his room. Why did I never think of putting the unit in there!? This was the best IKEA purchase EVER!
July 26th, 2010, 06:36 AM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The amount of cleaning I do varies by day. Some days I do a lot, some days, I do hardly any. Though with 4 kids and a messy dh, it doesn't stay clean long. On my lazy days, I make the kids do a lot of the picking up that they should do but I usually end up doing. I am a SAHM.

July 26th, 2010, 06:37 AM
~Constance~
That's our plan too Jeanine! Right now the kids' toys are in 18 gallon totes, 4 of them. DS,7, and DD,5, share a 10X11 foot room with a 2 foot linear closet. I have a plastic drawer unit in there for clothes because it's faster and easier for them to put their clothes in the drawers than on hangers. We're in the process of decorating their room right now. We're going to a trundle bed and replacing the tote system with a cubbie and basket system. But that will have to wait until our next Ikea visit. We generally stop on our roadtrips since Ikea's are often right off the main highways.
The baby will move into their room around 4-5 months so it's gonna be like Little House on the Prairie around here for awhile.
We'd move if we could but the housing market is abysmal here. We have the the highest unemployment and poverty rates in the state in our county. Our Realtor said houses were taking a year to sell in our area. Boo!
July 26th, 2010, 06:58 AM
mamato4boys's Avatar Daleen
I am a SAHM..with 3 kids so needless to say the house is messy alot..i try to have it picked up nightly after they go to bed...and then i try to vacuum 3 times a day after breakfast.lunch.and dinner. But that doesn't always happen as I live on a farm. but The bathroom and babys room is always spotless..

THANK YOU BAM FOR MY AWESOME SIGGY
Always Remembering Otis, Evan Navarro, Riley, and Patrick
~September 2010 DDC's Perfect Angels~
July 26th, 2010, 07:17 AM
pbcups10's Avatar Super Mommy
I technically am a WAHM but really am only busy with that work during tax season. I also teach fitness classes a couple hours per week but won't be doing that for about 6 months. So right now I'm really a SAHM.
Everyday 3x a day I clean the kitchen counter and dishes after meals. DS is responsible for cleaning up toys usually before lunch and then before bed, and I help him depending on the level of the mess. Also do about one load of laundry per day to stay on top of it.
Friday is my big cleaning morning where I clean the bathrooms, kitchen floor, vaccuum and dust. Sundays I change and wash all the bedding. Big projects like windows, moving furniture to clean under it, cleaning closets, etc. get done twice a year in the fall and spring on a weekend when DH and I go nuts.

July 26th, 2010, 07:29 AM
molly_jean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I work 4-5 nights a week, 11pm-8am, and am on my feet a lot of the time. So during the day, I'm sleeping. I don't clean much And right now the house is a disaster b/c we're working on the hardwood floor in the dining room, so everything is out of the dining room and in every other room downstairs. So the table, chairs, piano, kirio cabinet..yeah...it's driving me nuts.
July 26th, 2010, 08:17 AM
army wife wilcox's Avatar "Z" kids mama
I'm a SAHM, but I watch my 9 month old nephew during the day while my sister works. I atleast do the dishes and load of laundry everyday, and make the kids pick up whatever toys they have all over the place. Then once a week I vacuum and mop and do a good scrub down. The hubs does nothing LOL, but he works 6 days a week 12 hour shifts. His duty is to bring home the bacon and I clean the house.

July 26th, 2010, 08:45 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
OH, you girls make me feel better. Our house is not dirty, at all, but it is not spotless! DD has a habit of bringing a TON of toys from her room to the living room, and suddenly, we're engulfed. She's horrible at putting things away, so I'm ALWAYS picking up after her, and everything else just falls to the side. It gets done, but being that she's always un-doing what I am doing just makes me crazy! I have to train her better at managing her toys, or figure out some way to organize her toys better. OUr living room is small, so we really don't have space for a toy box (or any sort) in here. Sigh. I can't imagine when we have 2 or 3 kids!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
July 26th, 2010, 09:45 AM
** Mandy **
I work full time so I don't have a lot of time for cleaning but I try my best to keep things in order, especially recently as I seem to be nesting. But, lots of times I feel like my efforts are wasted because it is dirty again the next day. Ugh.

July 26th, 2010, 09:53 AM
sassysarah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Um cleaning what's that? I work 40 hours a week and when I get home it's all I can do to get dinner made (or ordered lol). My son has to pick up his toys everynight before bed and the dishes are always put in the dishwasher after every meal. Other then that I don't do much cleaning during the week. On the weekends I try to pick one or two rooms to clean but how much I get done depends on if my husband is home to keep Drew out of my way. This weekend I got the downstairs bathroom cleaned and I gathered up a bunch of things for Goodwill. That's it. I need to get off the couch and do more but I get so tired.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search