So I've got 3 babies...

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2010, 07:16 AM
molly_jean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They're wood ducks! The neighbors saw a mother wood duck and babies under our truck saturday evening, and yesterday we found 3 babies in the bed of the pick up! They were still there by 10:30 last night, so DH and i put them in a box with a dish of water and brought them into the laundry room. This morning, they decided it was bath time and splashed around, so I took them back out to the truck
At first I thought somebody put them there, but I've been reading and watching videos from YouTube and baby wood ducks actually jump out of their nest (from a tree) like, 24 hours after hatching.
I feel so bad for them and for their mommy...I wish she would come back, but I honestly don't know how she would find them. And we have a lot of cats in the area, so I don't want to put them in a box on the ground..
I called a wildlife rehab place and am waiting for them to call me back..hopefully someone can take them and get them with another mommy wood duck or at least take care of them..because I have no idea what to do for them!
July 26th, 2010, 07:24 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Awww... that's sweet and sad! I hate it when I find wildlife that is injured or "lost" and I have no clue as to how to help them, but I try! I want to see pics, please, pretty please! They sound soooo cute and soft and fuzzy!!!

One time, we heard this little peep outside and DH found a chipmunk just starting to go under in a huge bucket of water. He must have been swimming and swimming for HOURS and just lost all hope/energy and gave up and went under. DH grabbed him right away and I put a towel in the dryer to make it a little warmer and we put him in it and rubbed his poor little body. He was alive! and I had him on his side the whole time (thinking lifeguard kinda stuff ) and after a couple hours, he had some energy, but he was still VERY tired, so we put some berries out for him, left him in the warm towel, had him in a little box right by the window (we didn't have a screen in it) and cracked the window so he could get out but nothing could get in to get him. He was gone the next morning, with all the food gone.

It was one of the best feelings EVER!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
July 26th, 2010, 08:29 AM
I can't get my picture to load, but I'll put a link on here so you can see what they look like. They're super cute
I've talked to about 5 different people trying to find someone who can take them..there's a wildlife rehab project but all of the people live pretty far away..so I talked to a DNR and he said the best bet is to find the nearest water and let them go and hope they find their mom. I honestly can't think of any water that's closer than at least a mile away...I hate to leave them...but he said they need to be around their mom otherwise they won't know they're ducks. poor little things!
Here's the link to a pic..not my ducky, but they look exactly like this:

Google Image Result for http://www.birdinginformation.com/wp-content/gallery/wood-duck/wood-duck-duckling1-a.jpg
July 26th, 2010, 08:31 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Awwww!!! they are super cute! I wonder if your neighbor knows where she saw the mama? too bad you have so many cats out. She may be looking for them

How heartbreaking. You're doing a good fostering job!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
July 26th, 2010, 08:37 AM
MonkeyBugMommy's Avatar Brooke
Send a message via Yahoo to MonkeyBugMommy
I SO would not just let them go and hope that they find they're mommy.. So what if they won't know they're ducks.. At least they wouldn't die lost and alone. I'd be adopting myself some ducklings!

Check out this link. It doesn't sound too hard to take care of them. How To Care for and Feed Baby Ducks ? Raising Ducklings
July 26th, 2010, 08:44 AM
If I didn't live in town, I would totally try to keep them. But something tells me they wouldn't survive if I kept them here.
I'm going to go to the creek and look for ducks..there's a lake 5 miles away so maybe I'll look there too...hopefully they can attach themselves to another duck family.
July 26th, 2010, 08:52 AM
MonkeyBugMommy's Avatar Brooke
Send a message via Yahoo to MonkeyBugMommy
I hope they find a family!
July 26th, 2010, 09:56 AM
Yeah I just took them and drove/walked around the water..and brought them back home. I couldn't leave them alone...but I know they won't survive here either

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search