weight whine

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2010, 08:33 AM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
How did I gain 2 pounds in TWO DAYS when my food intake has involved healthy cereal, fruit, and sensible eating?????

Seriously -- my portion sizes are much smaller than they were during my second trimester because my appetite just isn't there. I usually have a bowl of cereal and some fresh fruit for breakfast and something small for lunch (like a Lean Cuisine) and a yogurt or more fruit. I'll have a granola bar for a snack. Dinner isn't outrageous -- I'm eating the same size portion that I ate before I was preggo (which was never huge). And I'm allowing myself one treat a day (right now it's rice krispie treats -- so you know there are worse things I could be eating). I don't think this is a huge amount of food. Plus, my activity level is decent -- I'm not walking four miles a day like some of our mamas, but I'm trying to stay active as much as I can.

I was doing well and was on pace to gain 35 pounds for this pregnancy -- which isn't going to happen if I keep gaining weight like this while eating the way that I do. And to make matters worse, I have a doctor's appointment (so I'll have gained 4 pounds since my last appointment instead of the two that I had going for me) AND I'm going out to dinner tonight with friends (and now, I don't even want to as eating isn't going to be enjoyable).

July 26th, 2010, 08:43 AM
lulumama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Amy, as my dear friend told me when I saw her last weekend, it's really tough to realize and remember and reframe "gaining weight" when you're pregnant - that it's NOT the same as "gaining weight" when you're not pregnant. All of your body systems are doing something differently right now. Baby gains 1/2 to 1 pound each week in these last few weeks, from what I recall reading. Your body is doing what it needs to do to support that gain. I know it's hard, and I know how challenging it is to stay calm and at peace with the gain, but really, your beautiful powerful body knows what it's doing to bring little Acorn safely and healthily into the world!

Now if you continue to gain at a rate that worries you or if you experience sudden swelling, I would encourage you to speak to your doc to make sure it's not signs of pre-E swelling...but, it doesn't sound like that's what this is.

I think you look fabulous! Trust yourself, trust your body - you are doing this really healthily - really, you are!

And go out and enjoy that dinner with friends, babe! Don't deny yourself!!!!

Forever missing our baby boy, Otis Allen, born September 12, 2010 at 41 wks; left this world 36 hours later.

Blessed with our Maui Miracle - Owen Kekoa, born 9/19/11 at 35w3d!
July 26th, 2010, 08:53 AM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ditto on the gaining weight when your preggo is NOT normal "gaining weight" i haven't weighed myself this morning but from swelling i can guarantee there is at least a good 2 or 3lbs just in water weight. In the last trimester baby really starts packing on the lb's - usually 1/2lb a week - plus your placenta is still growing and gaining weight, your body is still taking on fluid weight - lots of blood and fluid weight....it's not like you gained 2lbs in fat weight. I know it's hard not to freak out - but again, it's not real weight. and IT WILL COME OFF AFTER BABY IS BORN. You're not stuck with this weight .... i lost about 20lbs in the first week of delivery just from baby and fluids. and another 20lbs within the month, just eating healthy after DS was born. Deep breaths woman! I know - i saw a picture of me from yesterday and wanted to vomit cause i look fat - but i know it's temporary.
July 26th, 2010, 09:11 AM
J9+J+C=Complete's Avatar Charlotte & Jacob's Mommy
I, too, read that baby gains 1/2 to 1 pound from now on and that during the ninth month, you may not gain any weight at all due to being full and having no room. That helped to put it into perspective that this is the last month I will really be gaining any pounds, unless I go crazy eating the last month From what I remember, I BARELY had an appetite at that point or if I did, I ate two bites and was stuffed. I also read that one week you may gain 2 pounds and the next week none. It all balances out as long as you are averaging about 1 pound a week from here on out. HTH to ease your mind a bit!!!!!

Like Alethia said, almost all the weight came off the first week after Jacob was born (fluid, all the gooey yucky stuff) and then within 2 weeks or so, I was getting back into my clothes just from breast feeding and eating healthy. Just stay smart like you are doing about what you are eating now. I read this quote in the baby book and it made me rethink A LOT of what I had been eating, "When you get ready to take a bite, think first, is this the best bite I could be giving my baby?" It really helped to curb my sweet tooth by tapping into my guilt
July 26th, 2010, 09:27 AM
army wife wilcox's Avatar "Z" kids mama
The weight thing really doesn't bother me because this is my third kid. I know regardless of how much I gain, it's going to come off. Each time it's taken a little longer but I do lose it in the end. My dr is funny because 6 weeks ago I went in for my appt. and I hadn't gained any weight from the last time I was there, so my dr said keep up the good work. I went back 2 weeks later and had gained 4lbs, needless to say my dr didn't say good job that time. I went in this past week and had lost a pound....
Even though it's hard to do you just have to let your body do what it knows to do. Our bodies are amazing and are doing everything it needs to do to keep that baby healthy and growing. I promise no matter what you gain it will come off, especially if you are eating like you are now.

July 26th, 2010, 09:33 AM
Frangipani's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my weight has been ok but then I went to the doc 2 appointments ago and had somehow gained almost 10 pounds since the prior visit! I just about fell over. I was like how the hell could I have gained 10 pounds in just a couple of weeks??? No signs of pre-eclampsia, nada. It was like my slow weight gain suddenly decided to catch up. Totally freaked me out.

Needless to say, I was SUPER careful about any weight gain for the next 2 weeks, watching everything I ate, weighing myself every day, you name it. I was trucking along again, hadn't gained any weight up to the 1.5 wk mark (doc appointment was 2.5 weeks after the other appointment). Then I woke up one morning and I'd jumped up 2 pounds. Overnight! By the appointment, I was up 2.5 pounds. Better than 10 pounds but still.

It's really frustrating. I don't want to gain 50 pounds with this pregnancy but with 6 more weeks to go, I'm scared!
July 26th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the supportive responses. It's just so hard because this is the most I've ever weighed. Plus, unlike many of you ladies, I gained 5 pounds in my first trimester because I actually had an appetite and never had m/s -- so I've felt like I've been "paying" for that ever since.

I know the weight will come off. It's just so frustrating when I'm trying so hard to be good. I know everyone gains weight differently and it's all for a good cause, but it's still hard to see that scale jump like that.

No motherload chocolate cake for me tonight though. Oh well, it's probably for the best.
July 26th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You look fabulous Amy. Try not to let what the scale says bother you. I gained 50-60 lbs with each of my boys (it got to the point where I just didn't want to know anymore!). But I gained about half of the weight in the last 12 weeks-from baby growing, water weight, etc. I lost half of it right away. The other weight did take some work, but my body doesn't like to lose while BFing.

I'm doing better this time around, but there are a lot of you that will end up weighing much less than what I even started at. You were itty bitty! Your body is doing what it needs to do.

Keep in mind that our weight fluctuates from day to day too-especially if our bodies isn't going to the bathroom as often as it should.
July 26th, 2010, 10:56 AM
lulumama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Amy, I really really hope you can hear that his has nothing to do with being "good" - you are being the best mama-to-be around! I weigh more (WAY MORE!) than I ever have as well - I've gained over 50 pounds right now and I still have 5 1/2 weeks to go. Yesterday at my shower three of my yoga students kept telling me how healthy I looked and how I haven't gained any weight except through my belly - when I told them actual numbers, they all were so surprised! You look really great, woman, and this isn't about being "good" or "bad" - it's really not!

Forever missing our baby boy, Otis Allen, born September 12, 2010 at 41 wks; left this world 36 hours later.

Blessed with our Maui Miracle - Owen Kekoa, born 9/19/11 at 35w3d!
July 26th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulumama View Post
Amy, I really really hope you can hear that his has nothing to do with being "good" - you are being the best mama-to-be around! I weigh more (WAY MORE!) than I ever have as well - I've gained over 50 pounds right now and I still have 5 1/2 weeks to go. Yesterday at my shower three of my yoga students kept telling me how healthy I looked and how I haven't gained any weight except through my belly - when I told them actual numbers, they all were so surprised! You look really great, woman, and this isn't about being "good" or "bad" - it's really not!
Thank you! I was feeling very down on myself this morning and had a huge meltdown as I was driving to my doctor's appointment. It was one of those days where I hated the way I looked in every single outfit. After sobbing for half of the drive, I calmed down and reminded myself that this was what the baby needed me to do, and felt even better when the nurse practitioner told me that my weight gain was good. When I met my friends for dinner they also commented on while my belly was getting bigger, nothing else was and that I looked good.

Thanks again for the kind words. I really do appreciate it!
July 26th, 2010, 08:27 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Amy...I'll just copy everyone else...you look fantastic!! Weight gain is such a tricky thing right now (unless you are me, in which case I can tell you exactly where all 10 pounds I've probably gained since my last appointment have come from...ice cream, cake, candy, and the 47 cheddar brats I've eaten in the past 2 weeks ). You are eating really really healthy. Plus, it's 1,000 degrees outside lately, I'm sure a lot of that weight is just retained water

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search