Questions... Vitamin K, Eye Ointment, etc.

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Lauraubie's Avatar Super Mommy
I was just lurking around and saw on one of the other boards (August, I think) that people are talking about refusing the Vitamin K shot, Hep B Shot and the eye ointment... and I think some other things, that babies are generally given at birth.

Someone on there asked in a very nice way why you would refuse and was basically told to google it herself. So I am curious... Why would you refuse those things? (And please don't tell me to google it)
Can they cause harm to your baby? They also mentioned breastfeeding in the same post... is there something in the breast milk that makes it so your baby doesn't need those things? I am not a breastfeeding and they gave my daughter everything 5 years ago. I guess since then I have been out of the baby loop and have never heard of people refusing these things. I think the Hep B shot is part of a set that is eventually required for school?

Custom Photo Cards & Invitations ~ Peek at my Website ~ Like me on Facebook
July 26th, 2010, 08:06 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Just go Google it (Sorry...I just had to! But I'm kidding, promise!)

I know I will refuse the eye ointment because it stings them and it blurs their already limited vision in an already very new and confusing environment. Their focal length is just about long enough to see your face as you hold them/breastfeed them (which is probably why breastfeeding was mentioned), and they lose that with the ointment. Plus, I KNOW that I don't have any of the STDs that it is trying to protect against.

I'm not as sure about the Vitamin K and Hep B. Again with the Hep B, I know that I don't have it, and I'm not too worried about my baby contracting an STD this early, and I'm not totally psyched about the idea of him getting a shot so soon after birth (I just know it's going to a traumatic enough time for him as it is), but I haven't done enough research to decide either way on those two yet. Hopefully someone else has better info for you

Either way you decide, I'm sure baby will come out happy and wonderful! I think it's really just a personal choice, like everything else in parenting

July 26th, 2010, 08:23 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
Ditto to what Amy said!

I honestly don't know why people refuse the Vit K shot. It is to help the baby clot because some newborns aren't born with enough clotting factors. As far as I know, it has no adverse effects, but I could be wrong...? I think most moms against the newborn injections just don't want their babies to be poked with a needle right out of the womb.

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]
forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
July 26th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Lauraubie's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHappyM. View Post
Just go Google it (Sorry...I just had to! But I'm kidding, promise!)
Oh no you didn't! lol...

So the ointment is for std's that you could pass? Can you pass an std with a c-section? Not that I have any std's. I better not... or dh is in BIG BIG BIGGGGGG Trouble!

Maybe I should google it... I don't even know why they give what they give! I am either an uninformed parent or trusting... I'm not sure which.

Custom Photo Cards & Invitations ~ Peek at my Website ~ Like me on Facebook
July 26th, 2010, 08:39 PM
missmich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelli4188 View Post
Ditto to what Amy said!

I honestly don't know why people refuse the Vit K shot. It is to help the baby clot because some newborns aren't born with enough clotting factors. As far as I know, it has no adverse effects, but I could be wrong...? I think most moms against the newborn injections just don't want their babies to be poked with a needle right out of the womb.
Why would you think this? All the moms I've ever talked to who choose not to vax have very good reasons not to vax or to delay some of the vaxes. It has nothing at to do with a little needle and them not wanting their baby to have a little poke.

Personally I'm going to refuse the eye ointment b/c they give it to baby to prevent them from getting an STD from the mom when pass through the birth canal. I know I don't have any STD's so I don't feel my baby needs it. I've also heard that it stings and make them have blurry vision. Some parents will wait an hour or so before they allow it. That way baby does have a chance to see mommy clearly for a little while at least.

The vit.K shots are to help blood to clot properly. Babies are born with a very low level and they get a more normal level at about 7 days old. I haven't decided about this yet for my baby,but will be looking into the oral vit. K option that might be easier for baby to adjust to.

This is where I learned a little about Vit. K and other things

Options for Newborn Care Procedures

If you know your baby will get a surgery though or even a circ. before he's 7-10 days old then the vit. K shot is a good idea before the circ. to help make sure the blood clots after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauraubie View Post
Oh no you didn't! lol...

So the ointment is for std's that you could pass? Can you pass an std with a c-section? Not that I have any std's. I better not... or dh is in BIG BIG BIGGGGGG Trouble!

Maybe I should google it... I don't even know why they give what they give! I am either an uninformed parent or trusting... I'm not sure which.

For some STD's I don't think it can be passed via a c-section but maybe for others like HIV/AIDS then yes I'd say you can.

It's ok to uninformed and trusting. I don't know a whole lot of childbirth,I mean I sure know a lot more now then I did a few months ago but I'm learning a lot right now so I can be prepared and make informed choices.
July 26th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmich View Post
Why would you think this? All the moms I've ever talked to who choose not to vax have very good reasons not to vax or to delay some of the vaxes. It has nothing at to do with a little needle and them not wanting their baby to have a little poke.
Well first of all I wasn't talking about all vaccinations. I was talking about the standard newborn procedures: Hep B, Vit K, and eye ointment. And second of all I really think it does play a big factor for most moms.
The ointment and the Hep B shot are two standard procedures that most, if not all, hospitals do just to make sure they cover themselves. They want to make sure that there aren't any newborns that slip through the cracks and contract a horrible disease.
I think a lot of moms, especially ones who KNOW that they don't have any STDs, opt out of these "standard" procedures because they genuinely don't want to cause physical pain to their newborn.
I didn't mean this in a condescending way at all and in fact I am ONE of those moms.
Even in a pp someone said that they don't want the eye ointment because it blurs baby's vision and makes it sting. Who would want to cause unnecessary discomfort to their newborn????
I am not here to judge anyone's decisions and I really hope you don't think that that is what I was doing.

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]
July 26th, 2010, 08:55 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelli4188 View Post
Well first of all I wasn't talking about all vaccinations. I was talking about the standard newborn procedures: Hep B, Vit K, and eye ointment. And second of all I really think it does play a big factor for most moms.
The ointment and the Hep B shot are two standard procedures that most, if not all, hospitals do just to make sure they cover themselves. They want to make sure that there aren't any newborns that slip through the cracks and contract a horrible disease.
I think a lot of moms, especially ones who KNOW that they don't have any STDs, opt out of these "standard" procedures because they genuinely don't want to cause physical pain to their newborn.
I didn't mean this in a condescending way at all and in fact I am ONE of those moms.
Even in a pp someone said that they don't want the eye ointment because it blurs baby's vision and makes it sting. Who would want to cause unnecessary discomfort to their newborn????
I am not here to judge anyone's decisions and I really hope you don't think that that is what I was doing.
I definitely understood what you meant, Kelli Especially because you were referencing the Vit K, which is helpful, and as far as I can tell doesn't carry a lot of the negative effects that some vaccines do. And of course helping a baby's blood clot would be good, so one of the few compelling reasons to turn down that specific shot is just that most (or at least MANY) moms who turn it down do so in order to save their minutes or hours old baby from the pain/trauma of a shot so soon after birth. I definitely got that you weren't referring to all moms and all vaccines in general and it wasn't a negative or judgmental comment at all!

July 26th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHappyM. View Post
I definitely understood what you meant, Kelli Especially because you were referencing the Vit K, which is helpful, and as far as I can tell doesn't carry a lot of the negative effects that some vaccines do. And of course helping a baby's blood clot would be good, so one of the few compelling reasons to turn down that specific shot is just that most (or at least MANY) moms who turn it down do so in order to save their minutes or hours old baby from the pain/trauma of a shot so soon after birth. I definitely got that you weren't referring to all moms and all vaccines in general and it wasn't a negative or judgmental comment at all!
Thanks Amy

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]
July 26th, 2010, 09:08 PM
missmich
I didn't think you meant all vaxes,just the standard newborn vit. K and ointment etc... Some hospitals don't even ask the parents if they want them or not so if you don't want them you or your partner or doula have to be clear about it with the nurses.

A lot of parents have no idea what certain things are for either,not b/c they are clueless but just b/c the hadn't heard about certain things before. I wasn't aware of the vit.K shot until recently actually. I've read both good and bad about it,but not quite enough to make my choice yet. I've read that the oral dose is easier for the baby,not to avoid the pain of the needle but for other reasons. I just can't quite remember the reasons and until I do I can't add my choice about it to my birth plan.
July 26th, 2010, 09:17 PM
pbcups10's Avatar Super Mommy
It really is a matter of personal choice and needs to be researched on your own, even though you might not like that answer. When you ask for opinions, you get just that, an opinion... unfortunately a lot not based on very good research.
Personally, I will skip the eye ointment and get all other vaccines including those at birth. The only thing I do is put the MMR vaccine on a delayed schedule because it is so strong. In the research I did, I cannot justify declining any other vaccine for causing harm to a baby. The statistics just are not there. I refuse to buy into the hype. And I am aware there are people on here who have seen severe reactions to vaccines. Anyways there's my opinion.

July 26th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Carebear102103's Avatar Mom of Many
hmmmm... I like this post making me think I've always got my babies(after c-sections) and all that had already been done without them asking(maybe I signed a paper or something??) And just assumed it was normal newborn stuff that was NEEDED. After reading about the eye goop being for STD's I'm going to do some more research because I know I dont have anything...have only ever been with my husband and him with me and have both been tested. Now I feel bad my 5 other kids had to go through unnecesarry(cant spell for beans tonight) treatments Something to think about. I've gone back and forth on the vaccine depate and so far all we have passed on is Flu/Swine Flu and will pass on the HPV once DD is older.
July 26th, 2010, 09:33 PM
missmich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carebear102103 View Post
hmmmm... I like this post making me think I've always got my babies(after c-sections) and all that had already been done without them asking(maybe I signed a paper or something??) And just assumed it was normal newborn stuff that was NEEDED. After reading about the eye goop being for STD's I'm going to do some more research because I know I dont have anything...have only ever been with my husband and him with me and have both been tested. Now I feel bad my 5 other kids had to go through unnecesarry(cant spell for beans tonight) treatments Something to think about. I've gone back and forth on the vaccine depate and so far all we have passed on is Flu/Swine Flu and will pass on the HPV once DD is older.

Many parents assume that if the doctor says that something is needed and is routine they go with it. A few years ago I'd have done the same thing. I've changed my mind about a lot of things though b/c of what I've learned from other moms and from some of the families that I was a nanny for. It made me want to do some research on my own and make an informed decision.
July 26th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Carebear102103's Avatar Mom of Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by missmich View Post
Many parents assume that if the doctor says that something is needed and is routine they go with it. A few years ago I'd have done the same thing. I've changed my mind about a lot of things though b/c of what I've learned from other moms and from some of the families that I was a nanny for. It made me want to do some research on my own and make an informed decision.
I was 18 when I had my first and 21 when I had my oldest twins so I always just let them give them all the shots. As time went on and I would hear horror stories I finally did my own research and still do look everything up before their checkups to see what is available for alternatives and just to know what is given and for what reason and then make my own decision. Thats the best we can do as parents is to learn as much as we can from as many soursed and to make the decision that is right for ourselves and our children.
July 26th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have had an antibiotic ointment for my eyes, and it never hurt at all. I wonder how much the ointment really hurts? I have not done my research or made a decision on the eye ointment. I am just wondering how anyone would know if it stings or not unless they tried it. I also wonder if it is to prevent more then just STD's. The poor little babies are exposed to a lot in the birth canal, and even via c-section. I would feel bad if my baby got an eye infection. I don't think doctors and nurses like to hurt babies for no reason. I guess I have a lot of questions for my Doctor, and some research. As for now, I am only going to delay the MMR vac. Just need to figure out the vitamin K, and eye ointment. Vitamin K seems pretty harmless though.
July 26th, 2010, 11:46 PM
Veteran
regarding the eye ointment, what I've learned , if I remember correctly, is that before they would use silver nitrate which would sting a little and now what is more commonly used is erythromycin which doesn't sting at all. This is applied to prevent certain eye infections. chlamydia is one of the major causes of these type of infections, but there are also other things that may cause an infection besides an STD.

July 27th, 2010, 12:52 AM
MotherFrog's Avatar lost in la la land
OK hang on here!

The eye ointment is to stop ANY kind of infection or bacteria getting in babies eyes. That's the first and easiest place it could happen. Vaginal birth or c-section baby gets it, has really nothing to do with STD's since baby has already been exposed to things like that BEFORE getting the ointment. It's a precautionary thing. It doesn't blur the vision all that long.

The Vitamin K shot is for clotting and most non-vaccinating mama's don't believe it's necessary since supposedly babies body is supposed to know what to do. Not totally true for every baby. It's used for clotting in case there is an unknown history bleeding disorders in the family. It's one of those better safe than sorry things.

The Hep B shot is another better safe than sorry kinda thing. BUT the main reason that I've heard of babies not getting it is because supposedly it can cause cancer in children. There is no proof that it does or doesn't. It's one of those he said she said rare things. It's like years ago people freaking about Johnson's baby products causing cancer.

That's pretty much all it is. None of my kids have had any issues and I haven't either, I had the same shots and ointments when I was born.

These are something that each mama needs to research on her own and decide what's best for her child. Those of you wishing to not get the shots, head over to the non-vaccinating part of JM and they will fill you in.

Just remember for each thing that a person tells you not to do because of the side effects it can have on baby, some one else can give you complete opposite information as to what can happen if you don't do it.

It's a decision that you have to make for your child, no one can make you go either way.

July 27th, 2010, 06:21 AM
pbcups10's Avatar Super Mommy
You have a point MotherFrog... I was going to pass on the eye drops based specifically on info I learned on this board but I just now did some research on it on my own. I think I am going to get the drops... it is for all types of infection AND most doctors are using erythromiocin (sp?) which does not burn. SIlver Nitrate used to be used and that burned but I think that has gone by the wayside. I'll verify with my doctor, but yeah, I don't see any reason not to get it now. I used erythromiocin last year for pink eye and it did not hurt at all.

July 27th, 2010, 06:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherFrog View Post
OK hang on here!

The eye ointment is to stop ANY kind of infection or bacteria getting in babies eyes. That's the first and easiest place it could happen. Vaginal birth or c-section baby gets it, has really nothing to do with STD's since baby has already been exposed to things like that BEFORE getting the ointment. It's a precautionary thing. It doesn't blur the vision all that long.

The Vitamin K shot is for clotting and most non-vaccinating mama's don't believe it's necessary since supposedly babies body is supposed to know what to do. Not totally true for every baby. It's used for clotting in case there is an unknown history bleeding disorders in the family. It's one of those better safe than sorry things.

The Hep B shot is another better safe than sorry kinda thing. BUT the main reason that I've heard of babies not getting it is because supposedly it can cause cancer in children. There is no proof that it does or doesn't. It's one of those he said she said rare things. It's like years ago people freaking about Johnson's baby products causing cancer.

That's pretty much all it is. None of my kids have had any issues and I haven't either, I had the same shots and ointments when I was born.

These are something that each mama needs to research on her own and decide what's best for her child. Those of you wishing to not get the shots, head over to the non-vaccinating part of JM and they will fill you in.

Just remember for each thing that a person tells you not to do because of the side effects it can have on baby, some one else can give you complete opposite information as to what can happen if you don't do it.

It's a decision that you have to make for your child, no one can make you go either way.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

July 27th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Good input motherfrog. I would just be a little cautious about going to the Non-vac board because I have found it can be a little fear-mongering, and very one-sided. Like you said....do the research and make the choice that you feel good about. There is a lot of misinformation out there. What I meant in my post was that I thought the eye ointment was for more then just STD, so I would not refuse it just because I don't have any STD's.
July 27th, 2010, 02:56 PM
lovely_serendipity's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well I dont want to get into all the whys because everyone else already has lol. Im not doing the eye ointment or hep b...I am doing vit k though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search