Weird breathing sounds *with video clip*

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2010, 08:59 AM
Proud Momma
About 5 times now, and 4 of those times being within the past few days, I've woken up to Rachel breathing like this. It almost sounds like after someone's been crying really hard and they're trying to catch their breath afterward. But every time she makes these weird breathing sounds, she hasn't been crying at all. All the other times she's done this, it only lasted about 15 minutes max, but today it's been going on for over an hour already. I recorded it this morning, so please watch and tell me what you think it could possibly be. I really don't want to worry, but it's hard not to when I hear her breathe like this because it seriously sounds like she's gasping for air sometimes (this video didn't quite catch the full effect of it - I have an audio of it that shows the sounds better, but I can't figure out how to transfer it to the computer and how to upload it).

*click on pic to play video*

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by LaLaLa1; July 31st, 2010 at 09:05 AM.
July 31st, 2010, 09:10 AM
Lori B.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's hard to say. Blake does all kinds of weird breathing things but I have never heard him do that. It almost sounds like she is just making a noise and it has nothing to do with actual breathing, if that makes sense. Don't freak out or panic, just keep an eye on her and if it's still going on Monday you might call the Dr. and just ask about it.

July 31st, 2010, 09:18 AM
Super Mommy
That is the noise that I made as a child after crying so hard and Madenn has also done it a few times but you are right only after crying. I would do it becuase my body just did it I could breathe it was just like a reflex for me. I'm not sure I would bring it up to the doctor

July 31st, 2010, 10:01 AM
momto3brazils's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
you could always show it to your doctor, but really the things that you look for as a mother. 1 how is her color? 2 is she acting "normal" 3. does she seem distressed. I think if her color is fine and she is acting normal and she seems to not be distressed she maybe be soothing herself or even experimenting with noises that she is trying to make? what ever it is I hope its nothing. I know its hard not to worry. HUGS

July 31st, 2010, 10:06 AM
Ryan and Alex's Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Was she crying before that. That's usually the sound babies make after crying hard. But they do make that sound without crying to so it's hard to say. If you are that worried about it then take her to the doctor.

July 31st, 2010, 10:39 AM
Proud Momma
^ No, she wasn't crying at all any of the times, but I know, that's exactly what it sounds like. I'm going to the Dr. for myself on Thursday, but I figure I'll show him the clip or at least tell him about it that day as well. Just figured I'd come on here first and ask you girls since it's a weekend and our Dr's closed.

Thanks for the responses.
July 31st, 2010, 11:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Does she have reflux at all, Steph? Jasmine makes similar noises when she has the acid going up her throat. Hope you get some answers soon!

July 31st, 2010, 11:24 AM
Super Mommy
Yeah I don't think its really a noise they can just make on their own honestly I did this for years I probaly still would do it but I don't ever cry that hard anymore lol. It's a reflex I remember trying to talk and barely could because I would have that going on non stop for an hour after crying and there wasn't anything I could do to stop it.. but like I said it didn't affect my breathing so thats a very good sign! Good luck hope u get answers!

July 31st, 2010, 04:40 PM
:::Dan!elle:::'s Avatar Proud to be a CPST!
To me it sounds like croup or bronchitis-it sounds like there is inflammation. How long has she been doing it?
July 31st, 2010, 07:32 PM
Proud Momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by leese View Post
Does she have reflux at all, Steph? Jasmine makes similar noises when she has the acid going up her throat. Hope you get some answers soon!
Nope, she's never had reflux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by :::Dan!elle::: View Post
To me it sounds like croup or bronchitis-it sounds like there is inflammation. How long has she been doing it?
Hmmmm, ugh, I sure hope not . This is about the fifth time I've heard it. The first time was about 2 months ago and it lasted about half an hour in the morning while she was sleeping, but then when she woke up it stopped, so I didn't think too much more about it. Then I hadn't heard it again until just this past week, and I've heard it now again about 4 times. Each time it seemed to stop after about 15 minutes, but today it lasted about an hour and a half altogether. It has only happened in the mornings and she seems to do it while she's sleeping, but today she kept doing it for about an hour after she was awake.
July 31st, 2010, 07:40 PM
sunny's Avatar It's all in the Hips!
Ooh Gareth and I just watched it together and we both agreed we would def bring Lainey to doc or at least bring the video if possible....sounds like a chest infection of some kind. Hope she is ok poor sweetie...that would def freak me out and have me worried so getting a docs opinion can at least put you at ease!
July 31st, 2010, 07:46 PM
ya I think you need to take her to the dr. ((((HUGS))))
July 31st, 2010, 07:48 PM
Proud Momma
So I mentioned above that I'm going gto the Dr. for myself on Thursday and will def. bring this up, but do you think I should try to get an earlier app't???? Monday is a holiday (where I live), so the earliest I would be able to get is Tuesday...............so you think it's something we should go to ER about or just wait until Tuesday?????

Now I'm scared to go to sleep at night

Last edited by LaLaLa1; July 31st, 2010 at 07:58 PM.
July 31st, 2010, 07:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Can you take Rachel to a walk-in clinic? They should be open on the holiday.

July 31st, 2010, 08:05 PM
Proud Momma
^ true, true. I just never seem to trust those Dr's as much as I do my own Dr, if you kwim! They always seem to just want to rush you out of there asap without really trying to figure it out (just from my own personal experience in the past).
July 31st, 2010, 08:17 PM
I would at least call on Monday and talk to a nurse. If she doesn't seem to be struggling to breath and has good color then she should be ok to wait I would think. Next time it happens, lift up her shirt and see if she is sucking in around her ribs-that would mean she is struggling.
July 31st, 2010, 08:18 PM
sunny's Avatar It's all in the Hips!
I would go to a walk in clinic hun! I mean if it is something they will def hear it in her chest and then let u know if you should get appt or go to er etc... I think it truly sounds like an upper respiratory infection of some type but then again I am not a doctor but just saying what I would do ya know? HUGS and I hope it is nothing
July 31st, 2010, 10:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Or maybe call the nurses line? Then maybe they can give you an idea whether or not you should take Rachel to the ER.

July 31st, 2010, 10:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It sounds like croup to me. My first had it and it scared the bejeepers out of me. I ended up taking her to the ER. I'd take her in as soon as you can, honestly.
July 31st, 2010, 11:33 PM
Proud Momma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Brady View Post
It sounds like croup to me. My first had it and it scared the bejeepers out of me. I ended up taking her to the ER. I'd take her in as soon as you can, honestly.
How did you know she had it? Was she making similar breathing sounds? And if so, were the sounds all the time or just every so often (like Rachel's)??

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search