Heads up for anyone using SwagBucks toolbar

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 13th, 2010, 12:45 PM
JaxonsMom2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It gave my computer a virus... My work PC at that. I have never had any problems until I downloaded the toolbar. Now my PC is at the tech support where I work and they are trying to fix it. Plus on top of that because of that - I am also the victim of phising. I tried to check my bank account today and only noticed after the fact that the website was kind of funny. So I had to call the bank, report the problem and deactivate my online billing. To be able to get my online billing back up, I have to go today and change my account number, get new checks, new debit cards and pins, and change all of my automatic online billing stuff including my direct deposits. GRR!!!!

Oh and plus since my bank user name was my SSN, I had to put a fraud alert on my credit report.

I just wanted to warn you guys. I googled it and found out that I am not the only one who has experience this before.

August 13th, 2010, 12:54 PM
niema's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to niema
OH no! Thats horrible, I use that toolbar all of the time!
August 13th, 2010, 04:31 PM
I was too. I found later that they may have to wipe my pc clean and they were having problems backing up all my files. I am just sick about it. I may be in some trouble when I go back to work on Monday. Good news is I got all my bank stuff fixed. Perfect end to perfect week (yeah-right)

August 13th, 2010, 04:54 PM
HopelessP's Avatar Ashlyn's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to HopelessP Send a message via Yahoo to HopelessP
I have been using it for months with no issue but I don't do anything important on my laptop to worry about phishing. Sorry to hear that you had issues & hope you don't get in trouble at work

August 13th, 2010, 05:00 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
How did you know it gave a virus and was phishing? I just want to be on the lookout for suspicious activity just in case
August 16th, 2010, 08:38 AM
It is a virus. The computer tech at work tried to back up all of my files and they couldn't and finally the computer completely crashed. Everything that I had on it from the past five years was on it. I lost everything except what I had saved on my flash drive.

How I knew it was phising is this:

I went to check my bank account, entered my username/password and then noticed that it was also asking for my atm number and pin. I have never had to do that, so I didn't. I hit enter and it still was asking for my atm info. So I called the bank. She had me explain everything that I did-so I did. She told me that when she went to the website, she wasn't getting that. And that my bank will never ask for that information. She informed me that it seems to be a case of phising. So I went to another computer and typed in the website-that website came up perfectly normal. I went to another one and the same. I ended up trying out like four other computers.

Now I have no computer. The tech office is short staffed-so no telling how long I will be without a PC. But I lost everything - pictures, files, everything. So far I am not in trouble, but I am just waiting. Currently, I am sitting in a classroom using the instructor computer cking emails and stuff. Guess, I can use this time to clean up my office....

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search