We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
I'd reached the point of "the baby's never going to come out" at one week over due... at which point my midwife came over, because I was completely in tears and needed some encouragement. We talked a lot about the risks to me and the baby by going over due, and what would happen if we reached 42 weeks and there was still no baby, and by the end of that visit I had a much better frame of mind, and was ready to go two or three weeks more (or even longer!) if I needed to.
A week later there was still no sign of the baby! No contractions, not even Braxton's Hicks! My midwife came over and we did a check, thinking that if I was at least at 3cm or so, then maybe a membrane sweep would kick things into gear. I wasn't that far at all. I was a whole whopping 1.5cm. So, no membrane sweep. But then, I started losing pieces of plug on Friday, and even bigger pieces on Saturday, and I was starting to feel like the end was in sight, and low and behold, just two hours after I'd gone to sleep for the night Saturday night, I was awake with contractions. They were enough that they were keeping me awake, irregular, but at least every 10 minutes.
So, I was wide awake. DH and I watched a movie online, and then since things didn't seem to be dying down, we gave my midwife a call around 2:30am to let her know we thought we were finally going to be having a baby! She told us to give her a call if things picked up or changed at all, so we called her around 10 am Sunday morning just to let her know what all was happening-- lots of irregular contractions, enough that I had to stop talking, but not enough to be 'active labour'.
We worked on tidying up the house and by around 2pm I was feeling like things were picking up some, so DH gave my midwife a call and she came and did a check-- I was at 4 cm! So, as the rule of thumb is one centimeter an hour, she guessed we'd be having a baby around 8pm that night. Little did she know! DH set up our little birth pool and we called her again around 4pm, and she asked if I was wanting her to come then, and when I said yes, she was over in about fifteen minutes, and her assistant came about 15 minutes later.
I'd got into the tub just before my midwife arrived, and wow does water ever help a lot with managing contractions!! It went from "I don't know if I can handle these" to completely managable again, though quite regular. My midwife set up her computer and DH got her online, and then she got out her doppler and checked on the baby's heartbeat-- it was sounding great, even through contractions, so we just sat around chatting for a bit.
I don't know what time, but a little while after her assistant got there I started POURING sweat, and having a hard time managing contractions again (even said I wasn't sure I could do this... and midwife looked at me, grinned, and said "You're DOING IT!"). My midwife got a cold cloth for my head, and then shortly thereafter they did a check, weren't quite sure what they were feeling and told me to check myself, and what was there was the baby's head with a bag of waters over top! Nothing else! Then it was just a "wait until she starts pushing " thing.
SO... at 6:10ish, I started pushing, and the baby's heart beat dropped. On that first push it hurt SOOO bad in the hips that I actually told them I couldn't do it, and was told I HAD to have the baby RIGHT NOW. Apparently that heartbeat hadn't come back up, and the baby needed to get out IMMEDIATELY! So I pushed. HARD. Really hard. Elias Malachi came out at 6:15pm! Just slightly over four hours after I hit active labour! All I could think when I saw his face was that this baby looked just like Rebecca! He had such a short cord that his head didn't even reach my breast until it was cut, so he just hung out on my tummy for about five minutes until his cord stopped pulsing. We waited on the placenta, which came out about five minutes later.
My midwife was almost immediately on the phone with 911 requesting an ambulance, because I was hemorrhaging BADLY, and all the herbs she had with her weren't making the difference needed. EMS arrived and we were on the ambulance by 6:30, heading for the hospital. At the hospital they did uterine massage (OUCH!!!!) and scooped out TONS of giant clots. They gave me some perkaset (I think?) and a shot of pitocin after getting some of those clots cleared out, and finally around 7:30 the hemorrhaging had stopped. They let me rest for about an hour, and then they wanted me to get up and use the bathroom. Didn't happen-- I passed out on the bed just from the simple act of sitting up! SO, after getting me revived, they got me back into bed lying down, and left me be for another couple of hours. And then I got up and used the bathroom and passed out on the way back to the bed! So, another couple of hours later they decided to try getting me into a wheel chair again to go to the recovery portion of L&D, and we finally managed to get me there at 12:30am! Passing out is quite the experience!
The doctor told us that the outcome and speed of treatment would have been the same in the hospital as it was getting it from home, and that as with any birth, we have a 50/50 chance of this happening again with the next baby... we'll plan a homebirth again next time, and hope that we don't need the hospital at all!