Welcome Roan Creslin!

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 22nd, 2010, 05:47 PM
Daphinae's Avatar Sande
Alright, a little recap. Had my 36 week appt on Thursday, August 12th. I was 3cm; 0%.
Went to L&D on Sunday, August 15th with back pain and contractions. I was 3cm; 60%.
But I wasn't progressing so they sent me home.

I had my 37 week appt on Thursday, August 19th. I was still 3cm, and the dr didn't give me an effacement, but I estimated 90% because he told me to go STRAIGHT to L&D if I thought I was in labor, because "with a cervix like that" I wouldn't have any time. Do Not Dawdle!

Right. I dawdled...

Saturday, August 21, about 3 pm I start having back pains again. Thinking this is like last Sunday, I lay down for a bit, I take a warm shower. I'm miserable most of the day, taking care of my 19 month old alone, because DH is helping a friend move.

DH comes home about 6ish, showers, we do dinner, and he rests for a bit, before going BACK out to help unload the truck one last time for the night so his friend can return the uhaul in the morning. DH makes it home about 10 pm. I end up falling asleep after DH does, maybe 10:30, still hurting and grumpy and was feeling incredibly lonely all day. And still feeling that way because DH is zonked, he had a stressful day and his back hurt after moving everything, he just wanted to sleep, not console his hormonal wife. I can't really blame him, but I felt grumpy still about it.

11:30 pm, I wake up, hurting, but still just constant back pain, no noticeable contractions.
2:30 am, I wake up again, hurting, again without noticeable contractions so I figure I've got to just be having back spasms, or the early stuff like last Sunday. And I take the 2nd percocet they sent home with him that I'd hoarded for the last week.

4 am, I wake up, hurting. But felt better for getting 2 1/2 solid hours of sleep. But after laying there for 20 minutes, I would feel my back seize up, then release. Then 2 minutes later do it again, then 5 minutes. So I get up, and I find this online contraction timer.

So I'm playing solitaire on DH's computer, clicking "Start" "Stop" to time my contractions. And they are about 40 seconds, and occurring every 4 or 5 minutes. I look up something that says you should have contractions for 4 minutes apart for 1 minute in length for an hour before going to the hospital.

Well I'm not quite doing that, it's only been 30 minutes that I've been up with them and they aren't that long yet. So DH wakes up, I hop in the shower and at 5:30 am call my MIL, tell her we're doing to L&D to get checked at least. Pack up our toddler and we go.

Make it here at 6:00 am, get set up in the room, the nurse goes to check me and my water breaks. She says I'm already 5cm. So they call for the anesthesiologist because I want an epidural. By the time the guy gets there, I'm 7cm.

And my dawdling at 4 am meant that I nearly had this baby natural. They got the epidural in, about 20 minutes to spare. I didn't even get a full dose, the test dose and about a half dose. Just enough to take the edge off.

But, the bad news. They hit my spinal cord, a "wet tap" they called it. So I gush spinal fluid everywhere. So now I'm on bed rest for the next week. I'm not allowed to do anything more than go to the bathroom for the next 3 days.

I've been up a couple times, but limited it to 10-15 minutes to go to the bathroom, pick up baby, etc.

Anyhow, the goods: Roan is 7 lbs 9 oz and 21" long. He arrived 4 days before his brother (37w 5days to Finn's 38w 1d), and he is 4 oz lighter than Finn was. However, he's 1/4" longer. ha. But had him at 7:33 am, so had only a bare hour and a half here at the hospital before I had him. It went QUICK -- my dr was not lying about having NO time. lol.

A little more bad news: the cord was tied around Roan's neck and hands, so he was pretty bruised. It took a couple minutes to get him breathing but once they did he squealed like an angry piglet. It was hilarious. He's starting to pink up already, it's about 12 hours later, so that's good.

He latched on well at the very beginning and ate for about 20 minutes, but has slept since then. I got him good and awake once, but he complained about me trying to get him to eat until I left him alone again. But the nurses aren't frantic since newborns are usually pretty sleepy. We've got time to get him to wake up and eat well. He's already had his first BM.

DH is home with Finn so it's just me and little man in the hospital. DH stayed with me last time, but of course we don't have that luxury this time. But he'll drop Finn off at daycare in the morning and then come to the hospital and see us.

I should sleep, really, but haven't quite worn through all the adrenaline I suppose. ha. But so far no headache.

Zak (DH) has photos up on his facebook. Anybody who's got me added, you can find the link to his site off my profile. I don't really have a way to try adding one to here, but will have to get it done. Probably will be after I'm off bed rest though.

August 22nd, 2010, 05:59 PM
VeronicaBride's Avatar Jen
Wow everything happened so fast. Congratulations! So happy you have your little man. Hope your bed rest goes by super quick so your whole family can be together.

August 22nd, 2010, 07:42 PM
amonstersmomma's Avatar Coetta Dawn
Whoa that is a whirlwind labor and delivery, glad you made it to the hospital in time! Congratulations on little Roan

August 22nd, 2010, 07:55 PM
amymgem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for posting your labor story. I keep hearing about more and more women who don't have a lot of time before things progress that quickly. We live almost an hour from the hospital so I want to be extra cautious when the contractions start!

Anyway, so happy to hear that you and the baby are well. Congratulations!
August 23rd, 2010, 04:14 AM
~Constance~
I knew it had to be fast because you were here posting and not complaining about contractions the night before! Sorry about the botched epi but glad you and baby are OK.
Congrats again!!!
August 23rd, 2010, 05:36 AM
-Trish-'s Avatar Mom to 3boys & a Princess
Yahoo! Congratulations!! I had a close call like yours with my second and took my time going to the hospital and was a 9 when I got there so didn't get an epidural at all, I'm glad you did, even if it was just a little and they screwed it up. Hopefully you'll be on your feet full time soon enough. Can't wait to see pics of your little man!

Thank you so much Alethia for my GORGEOUS siggy!!

August 23rd, 2010, 09:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow! Glad you were able to get to the hospital in time. Congrats on Roan! Hopefully you recover quickly.
August 23rd, 2010, 10:57 AM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
glad you eventually went in!! sorry about the epi, hope you feel better soon!
August 23rd, 2010, 05:59 PM
sassysarah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats! I'm glad you made it to the hospital in time.

August 27th, 2010, 07:02 PM
lexicon's Avatar formerly SarahRenee
WOW... that was pretty quick!! Glad Roan is here safe and sound. Sorry about having to stay in bed for a week though... but as long as you both are ok... that's all that matters!

Thank you *Kiliki* for my siggy!
August 28th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow! Thanks for sharing your story!

August 29th, 2010, 04:00 AM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Wow -- that was fast! Glad to see that both you and Roan are going to be alright. Keep resting mama!!!
August 29th, 2010, 07:11 AM
lovely_serendipity's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats and Im happy u got there on time!!!
August 30th, 2010, 08:04 AM
C&J's Mom's Avatar Stacy
I'm so glad you made it there on time and were able to get an epidural in enough time to at least take the edge off! Sorry that it didn't go right and you have to stay in bed. And so thankful that baby Roan was ok after all the cord stuff. That must have been scary! Congratulations!

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
September 4th, 2010, 12:54 PM
MariaL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow! That was fast! Im so glad that you are both OK! Congratulations!
September 9th, 2010, 01:08 PM
wild&free's Avatar My name is Kelli :)
WOW!! That went fast!! Sorry about the bad epi, but so glad that little Roan made it here safely! Congrats!

.fearfully and wonderfully made.
eli grey // jude lawrence
forever loving Finley

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search