He choked on a Baby Mum Mum!

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 28th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Lori B.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I bought Blake some Baby Mum Mum rice snacks today. According to the box, they are recommended for ages 6 mo and over if the baby has eaten solids before. They are supposed to dissolve almost instantly. As soon as we got home from the store, I put him in his walker and handed him a mum mum. He LOVED it and gobbled it up, he looked so adorable holding his own food and eating it by himself. There are two crisps in a pack so I gave him the second one and was standing there watching him eat it while talking to DH and DD. Well, somehow it didn't dissolve like it was supposed to and all of a sudden he was trying to gasp for air, and he wasn't taking in any air. He was clearly choking. I picked him up quickly and slapped him on the back a couple of times but that didn't help, so I held him face downward and was getting ready to do the baby heimlich maneuver when a big glob of mum mum popped out of his mouth and hit the floor. It was the consistency of a piece of bread dough. He was immediately just fine and wanted the rest of his mum mum that was still clutched in his little hand. I took it away from him and he got MAD.

Moral of the story...do not take your eyes off of your baby for one second while they are trying new things. Blake is not quite ready for mum mum's even though he ate the first one without any problems. We will wait a couple of weeks and then cautiously try again.

August 28th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
How scary!! I'm so glad he's okay! I'm so afraid of something like that happening and I'm really thinking about taking a baby Heimlich maneuver/CPR class. Again, SOOO glad he's okay!

Thank you .:Shortcake:. for my beautiful siggy!

August 28th, 2010, 05:38 PM
If I had my way, Blake wouldn't eat anything that he could possibly choke on until he was at least a toddler. Then I could at least feel like I wasn't going to hurt him doing the Heimlich. Choking is one of my #1 fears. I still drive my DD crazy when she's chewing gum.."Be careful with that, don't laugh too much you'll choke, don't lean back in your chair you'll choke" and she's 9 yrs old!

Years ago when I was riding in the semi with my DH, I was eating a chocolate Reisin candy, it's like a thick piece of caramel. Well I started laughing and it went back in my throat and lodged in my windpipe. I absolutely could not draw a breath, and he was driving and didn't even notice! I leaned forward to try to get his attention, he hit a huge pot hole, and my back hit the seat and popped the candy out of my throat. I nearly vomited and it scared me sooo badly!

August 28th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Nick n Nate's Mom Send a message via MSN to Nick n Nate's Mom
Oh my gosh, poor blake! Seriously, I take CPR/First Aid every year for work and I am SO glad they cover baby CPR and choking. You can't really do the heimlech on a baby though...not until after they are 1 years old and you can stand them up in front of you. You have to flip them face down on the inside of one of your arms, support their chin/bottom of face with your hand...and then do back thrusts upwards into the shoulder blades. You tilt them down so gravity can help as well. I hope I NEVER have to do this to any of my kids!

*thanks to Madge for my fab siggy!*

August 28th, 2010, 07:06 PM
sassytiff's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How scary! Glad Blake is ok!!

I've never even heard of a baby mum mum before.

Click on the photo to visit my website!
August 28th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Veteran
Oh my goodness, that is so scary! So glad he is okay!
August 28th, 2010, 07:26 PM
mindyjean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never heard of a baby num num before (they sound good! ha ha)!!

So glad he is okay and you knew what to do! Kaedence choked a bit last night on part of a frozen bagel I gave him to chew on and I had to do some quick back thrusts, also. He was fine, it just scared him more than anything.

My first son has never choked on anything, we have been lucky. It can be so scary.

3 beautiful boys, ages 8, 4 and almost 8 months!
Diagnosed with PCOS, conceived first son on first round of Clomid. DS #2 conceived on 2nd round of Clomid, 3rd son conceived on 3rd round of Clomid. TTC #4 through IVF.

Cycle #1: Antagonist protocol. 150 mL of bravelle and menopur for 8 days. Added ganirelix 2 days before ER and triggered with lupron and pregnyl.

13 eggs retrieved, 10 mature, 5 fertilized with ICSI, 2 made it to day 6, both abnormals. No transfer.

We will cycle again--September 2014?
August 28th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Alicia W.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So glad he is ok! I am totally insane about choking as well and CONSTANTLY nag my older son when he's eating things like suckers or candy and walking around. He has had a few times now in his life where he scared the crap out of me from choking on foods. SO SCARY!

This is one reason I am the type of person to approach actual solids VERY slowly.

August 28th, 2010, 08:14 PM
momma2marissa's Avatar My name is Stephanie!
wow. that would be scary, and another reason I'm glad i know infant cpr/first aide. so happy he's ok!

but let me tell you my dumb moment for the day I guess- I bought baby mum mums today and gave her one b/c I thought it just said if baby is on solids(solids being purees) I still don't see anything on the box about six months... but she loved it! and did awesome putting it in her mouth and 'gumming' it!
August 28th, 2010, 08:40 PM
meddleman's Avatar Loving my girls!!!!
Glad he's ok!!!!

I've never bought the Mum Mums, but when Nora was little I would give her the Earths Best teething biscuits, and they would always make me nervous when she would get them all soft from gumming them, I was always afraid a chunk would come off. Luckily she's never given me a choking scare.
August 28th, 2010, 08:48 PM
LovingMyBoys's Avatar Mom of 3 boys
So glad he is ok, choking is one of my huge fears with our little ones too

August 28th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
scary!

i've never bought those, i did the teething biscuit things, sooo nasty lol. they make such a mess. i heard these baby mum mum's (those are rice husks or something right?) maybe i will try them in a couple months. i don't think i'm ready for him to have anything like that just yet, even though he is eating pureed stuff.
August 29th, 2010, 04:10 AM
HappyMommyof4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So glad Blake is okay!! I have never heard of baby yum yums either. Opps Baby Mums Mums.
August 29th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So glad he is ok!! I watch Neve super close with them too, she gobbles them up so fast, I am worried about the same thing (getting too much in there too fast). I took baby CPR/First Aid over a dozen times, and we did a refresher video in the hospital, but it is something I hope I never, ever have to use. Eeek.
August 29th, 2010, 11:39 AM
:::Dan!elle:::'s Avatar Proud to be a CPST!
Scary! I'm glad he is ok! We buy them for Logan and she likes to take huge bites out of them so I'm always digging in her mouth to get them out.
August 29th, 2010, 12:53 PM
lizard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad he's okay. I'm always worried about choking too. DD will eat pieces about the size of an eraser, but after a couple I always check to make sure that she isn't storing food on the roof of her mouth or in her cheeks, and of course, I never turn my back when she has something more than the purees.

I, like you, had a scare with choking. I was 8 and I was eating one of those dum dum suckers. The ball came off the stick and lodged in my throat. I can still remember not being able to breathe and how scary it was. Needless to say, I try to avoid giving those to my kids, and if they do get one I make them crunch it up right away.

10/31/05 (EDD 5/15/06), 4/17/06 (EDD 11/13/06)
Chemical p/g 1/11/08

August 29th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Anxious New Mommy
That would freak me out too! I was just thinking about those things for Collin, to get his pincer fingers a work-out, but I think I might wait a little while still!

August 29th, 2010, 05:57 PM
^It might be ok to go ahead and try them, just be sure to watch your baby every second, like don't take your eyes off him, until he's been successfully eating them for a couple of weeks or so. Just my 2 cents.

August 29th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh my gosh! That's terrifying! I'm so glad he is OK and that you were right there!!

Thank you Ryan & Alex's Mom for the beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search