Baby Wren's birth story

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 5th, 2010, 03:31 PM
amymgem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh my, I am so in love! Wren was born on August 29th at 1:50 pm weighing 7 lbs 6 oz., 19.5 inches long. Now she is a week old and what an amazing journey it has been! I feel like I'm high-not to say I haven't had a few meltdowns-but this has been the most exhilarating time of my life.

I had a total drug free birth experience and I feel so blessed and so proud of myself. Of course, I couldn't get the epidural, but there was one point, when I was around 5-6 cm dilated, when my doc said we could try to find an anethesiologist who would be willing and I declined. They also offered some of the other drugs, but I figured I had made it that far, it would have just been silly.

Okay, so I started having contractions on Saturday evening around 7ish. We are 45 minutes to an hour away from the hospital, so DH was really on me to keep a close eye on them. When they were about 10-11 minutes apart, I spoke with my OB and she advised that I wait an hour and see. Well they started to get closer together and then the cramping began...which was different from BH contractions. The three of us (my mom, DH, and I) hopped in the car!

When we got there, they took me to a room immediately and started monitoring Wren and the contractions periodically (I am being a little too detailed here, eh?). They still weren't saying they were admitting me, but I knew it was the real deal when DH and I were doing laps around the l & d floor and every time I came around this particular corner, a painful contraction would sort of stop me in my tracks. Yay, she was finally on her way!

From there, I was able to progress naturally. My nurse would check my cervix from time to time and then I would go in laboring. I kept very active, despite feeling at times like I just wanted to crawl into the bed and die! I showered, having DH use the shower head on me-was probably in there for over an hour with him just spraying me down and me moaning...he told me yesterday that I reminded him of a wounded animal at this point. I used the birthing ball for a LONG time, and for most of it, DH and I would walk around the room, I'd stop to have a contraction and put my arms around his neck while my mom would come behind and press firmly into my lower back. I was totally on a different plane-I closed my eyes and focused on my breathing during every contraction. I also had DH and my mom to remind me not to tense up, which was incredibly difficult but looking back I think it also helped to make the whole thing easier. Anyway, that's pretty much how it went until I dilated to about 9 centimeters and was having those "push" contractions that brought things to a whole new level....I could no longer just breathe, these primordial moans began coming out, the pressure was so intense it took my breath away, and I knew it was time. My OB came in, had to break my water-it still hadn't and while I had asked that they not break it for me-I was really ready to get the show on the road. Anyway, once it broke, the pushing began immediately. I remember my OB saying "okay, now the real work begins." Eiieeeeeee....that was 14 hours into it.

I ended up pushing for two hours. It was very hard, I kept expressing that I wasn't doing it right, but my nurse, DH, my mom, and my dr. continued to cheer me on and give me hope along the way. Once a contraction hit, my mom would grab one leg, DH would grab the other, and I'd push like hell. I remember my mom kept saying "you are strong, you can do this, keep going." It was very helpful. They brought in a mirror at one point so I could see the top of her head and then suddenly things moved quickly. Getting her out in that moment was horrible pain that I felt on every level, but it was quick (as you know) and then she was here! What an amazing high! The pain was no longer there-not that I've forgotten what it was like-but the endorphins took over and suddenly, my little peanut made her entrance and the joy rushed in like a tidal wave.
September 5th, 2010, 05:18 PM
amonstersmomma's Avatar Coetta Dawn
Wow way to go momma!!!!!!!

September 6th, 2010, 10:25 AM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
Congrates!
September 6th, 2010, 10:57 AM
C&J's Mom's Avatar Stacy
Congratulations! What an amazing story! Good for you, mama!

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
September 6th, 2010, 06:06 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Congrats! What a great story!
September 8th, 2010, 06:55 AM
1st Time Mommy ~10-8-10~
awww Amy, Iam so happy for you and Wren!!! You totally did it and you have given me faith that I can do it too!!!! So proud of you!!!! Congrats!!!!

September 8th, 2010, 02:18 PM
MariaL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What a great story! Congratulations on your little girl!
September 9th, 2010, 09:03 AM
ardisbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Beautiful story! I appreciate the perspective for a drug free birth too, I can tell your hormones were really taking over and doing there job-gives me hope!

September 9th, 2010, 12:35 PM
whitehouse's Avatar My name is Kelli :)
WOW!!! You are such a strong mama! Sounds like you did everything just right in order to bring Wren safely into this world! Congratulations, you should feel very proud!

.fearfully and wonderfully made.
eli grey // jude lawrence
forever loving Finley
September 10th, 2010, 08:08 AM
lovely_serendipity's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats!! Lovely story and ur such a trooper!!!
September 12th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You should be so proud to give birth without any pain meds! I am impressed! Congrats!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search