Fashionably Late, My 2nd VBAC

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 6th, 2010, 03:36 PM
~Constance~
On Saturday, September 4th, at 40 weeks 5 days, I woke up at 4am from my third night of barely any sleep with steady, painful contractions 5-6 minutes apart. I labored at home all day with the contractions getting further apart but more intense. By dinnertime they'd picked up again to 6-8 minutes apart and I was having trouble talking, walking or focusing on anything so I sent the kids to my mom's. My midwife had me wait until the contractions were 5 minutes apart for an hour so we finally left for the hospital around 11pm.
I checked in at 6cm and losing bloody mucus. I got a hep-lock and wireless monitors and started walking around my room and leaning on DH during contractions which were 4-6 minutes apart and so intensely painful that I was already getting very vocal through them. Then I labored for an hour in a hot shower. I was so exhausted and sleepy being upright at that point that I got into bed. My legs were so shaky I was afraid I was going to fall over. I labored in bed until 4am, my 24 hours of labor mark, when my midwife checked me at 8cm. My water never wants to break on its own so she broke it. I continued to contract at 3-4 minutes apart and was actually fighting to stay awake between them. I just felt like I'd been drugged and had difficulty feeling any control over what was happening during contractions. I was still constantly shaking.
My nurse midwife in training checked me and informed me that I was still 8cm because my cervix had stopped dilating. She offered to try to push it back and I checked with my midwife. She wanted to give me a low dose of pitocin to get me open but I was afraid of what one intervention would lead to. So I tried her alternate suggestions, which were labor on all fours and push(didn't work)and labor in the tub and push(didn't work). While in the tub I felt my tailbone pop. It still hurts like crazy so I think I broke it this time around too. Anyway, I took the pitocin. It didn't make my contractions worse like I thought it would but it did get me to 10cm. I was pushing during every contraction as my midwife instructed. I was yelling myself hoarse by this point. I was much more focused during my other two labors and didn't have to get that loud. This time felt harder and more intense and draining than my other experiences. I labored on my knees(sort of squatting on the bed, gripping the back of the upright bed)for almost an hour while my midwife tried to stretch my perineum to get the baby's head to descend. Her head was sort of stuck there and burning for almost 20 pushes. Finally, on a big contraction, with 5 long pushes, the baby came out. The baby came out so slowly and wriggling that I could feel every part:head, shoulders, elbows, tushy, knees, feet and cord. It burned like crazy because of a 3rd degree tear. So my labor with baby #3 ended at 6:59am after 27 hours.
I turned around to see what my surprise baby was and we were able to announce "It's a girl" ourselves! She was immediately placed on my chest and I cleaned her up a bit. She got perfect Apgars. I started to sob but I was too spent to produce any tears. I nursed her immediately, both sides and she is a champ! DH cut the cord which was a first for him.
An OB was brought in to stitch me up and it took over 12 pokes to get me numb enough. The OB said my cervix was badly bruised. I don't know if I did that pushing too early or it was from the baby's general womb aerobics.
Anyway, I handed her off to be weighed and was absolutely floored when my DH said 9lbs1oz. Yikes! No wonder she was measuring 3 weeks ahead and was hard to get out! She was 21 inches long. She has dark brown hair, not dirty blond like my other kids, and had blue eyes that are now turning gray, like my other kids eyes did. Her neck control and interest in everything is amazing. She doesn't really look like a newborn at all!
The baby was taken to the nursery for warming and I was given a meal. Then I tried to get a shower. But I was so weak that I started losing it and ended up on the floor. My nurse immediately called in a team of other nurses and the smelling salts were broken out and I was taken back to bed. We ran fluids for an hour and that perked me back up enough to get to my maternity room.
DH started making all the calls and I tried to rest. We were both like Zombies from sleep deprivation. He is such a proud daddy again! He rushes to change the dipes and cuddle her and kiss me and tell us both how beautiful we are. He's quite impressed with how huge she is!
She nursed well all day, although not long sessions, and was so quiet and sweet. By 11pm though she was gassy and hungry and I had to keep her on the breast or burping for almost a 5 hour stretch because she was crying so loudly. She loves food just as much as her behavior in the womb led me to believe she would!
We were able to get released early, just 31 hours after birth. My older kids visited us briefly in the hospital to see the baby and my mom will be bringing them home tomorrow.
I'm excited to see how our family dynamic will change with #3 and really thankful that, although I would call this my worst labor, we both came through it with no real complications.
So finally, presenting....

Fairfax Michaela

How close was I to my guesses?
I guessed: September 5th, 7:12 am, 7lbs 14 oz, 21.5 inches, dirty blond hair and gray eyes. I didn't guess gender but I did lean boy a few times because we've had a boy name picked for 6 years. It just felt like I was expecting a boy.
The facts: September 5th, 6:59am, 9lbs1oz, 21 inches, dark brown hair, blue/gray eyes, girl.

I should have bet money on my birthday guess! She shares a b-day with my grandmother, who is absolutely thrilled by that!
September 6th, 2010, 04:12 PM
mommyandwife08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
what a great story!! thanks for sharing
DS #1 07/08
Miscarriage 01/28/09
DS #2 9/10
chemical pregnancy 06/12
DD #1 06/13

"I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for Me?" ~Jeremiah 32:27~
September 6th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Justjessie's Avatar Really Just Angela
You're right, she looks older than a newborn!!!

Darn good guessing on your part! Wanna predict when I'll have Jessica??? (Hey, if it's October, don't tell me LOL)
September 6th, 2010, 06:00 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Wow! You were almost spot on with the delivery time and birthday!

She's a beautiful little girl -- congrats!
September 6th, 2010, 06:45 PM
amymgem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow! You are awesome! I am very impressed with your strength and determination. Great job!

Enjoy your new baby girl-you're right, she does not look like a newborn! She's gorgeous.
September 6th, 2010, 06:50 PM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
You are still super woman in my book, Constance!
Way to go momma! You are amazing. Congrats on your sweet little girl and welcome home.

September 6th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am so impressed with you Constance! She looks so grown up already!
September 7th, 2010, 01:03 PM
sassysarah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Great job momma. Fairfax is adorable.

September 8th, 2010, 02:05 PM
MariaL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You did great! Fairfax is beautiful!
September 9th, 2010, 12:58 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
WOW! What a great story!! You did an incredible job with such a large baby You should be very proud of yourself Constance! And Fairfax is just gorgeous! I love those chubby cheeks!

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
September 9th, 2010, 01:11 PM
C&J's Mom's Avatar Stacy
Wow! You go girl!! You are like super woman!! I admire your strength and determination, Constance! And you are right, she doesn't look like a newborn, but she is precious! Congrats!!

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
September 10th, 2010, 10:35 PM
lovely_serendipity's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow ur amazing...she is lovely...and very nice guessing!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search