Luke's Story

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 11th, 2010, 07:07 AM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
Luke’s Birth Story

His birth story started at my 36 week appointment. He was measuring a little small via ultrasound at 5lbs 10oz. They were only concerned because I had not gained weight in 6 weeks. They sent me home with strict instructions to pig out! I was battling some fierce heartburn and just running out of room for food in my belly. Sadly, hearing a doctor tell you to “pig out” would have been music to my ears, but the last thing I wanted to do was eat. I was a good patient and made sure I ate 3 meals and 3 snacks a day. I also had a lot of friends trying to fatten me up. ☺

38 weeks comes around and the ultrasound shows a measly weight gain for 4 oz for Luke. Since he didn’t even get half way to his goal, we had to discuss an eviction date. During his ultrasound he encountered a little more difficulty. He wasn’t moving his torso. They rate the fetal growth ultrasound on a scale of 8. He met all other obligations except the gross motor movement within 30 minutes. My doctor wanted more monitoring to determine whether we were going to do a csection the next morning, or just induce later in the week. Either way, I found out late Tuesday night I would have a baby by the end of the week.

He passed his additional monitoring with flying colors. But since his weight gain wasn’t exactly what the doctor wanted, I knew Luke was going to be here before the weekend. Wednesday night we got a call from the office saying I was scheduled for an induction Thursday 9/9 at 7:30am. We scrambled to get Evan’s schedule lined up and final preparations done at home.

I arrived at the hospital 2cm dilated and 75% effaced. Since I was trying for a VBAC, and they were forcing labor to start, they wanted to make sure the contraction progression was slow to protect my old c-section scar. I was on pitocin for 4 hours gradually going from level 4-18 (the highest level is 20). The four hours went very slowly, but I was able to rest and nap. When Dr. Anderson came in at 1pm, I had only dilated 1 more centimeter putting me at 3cm. We decided to go ahead and break my water, which was MUCH better this pregnancy than with Evan. Within seconds of my water breaking I started having severe intense contractions every 2 minutes that lasted at least a minute. There was no break. I thought I was going to make it longer without an epidural, but the pitocin was making it unbearable. So I ordered my epidural and by 2pm, the medicine was in its place and this momma was smiling again. Between 2pm and 3:15 pm I went from 3cm to 8cm. They really only thought I’d move about a cm an hour after my water broke, but little do they know how I like to overachieve. LOL! By 3:30 I was at 10 and really wanted to push. It was a very different feeling than when I had Evan. We called Dr. Anderson. She was shocked I moved from 3 or 10 that fast. She made it over to our room around 4:15 and I started pushing. It wasn’t until we turned the epidural completely off that I was able to realize exactly what to do. Once I could feel, it was almost like my brain was able to process and tell my body what to do. I also got to make the decision when to push rather than wait for the doctor to tell me when. I think that helped so much because I could feel the peak of my contraction rather than they telling me when it was. After an hour and 10 minutes of pushing Luke made his appearance into this world. My doctor and my OB nurse were invaluable during this whole process. I am very lucky to have a supportive and practical doctor who believed in my ability to do this the entire 9 months. I had a cheerful, honest, smart OB nurse who always kept me informed and answered even the dumbest of questions from me. But my husband was the key player. He barely left my side the entire 8 hours. He supported me physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

So my 6 pound baby turned out to be 7 pounds 4 ounces. Who is to know if he wasn’t gaining weight, but we do know he wasn’t small. ☺ For some reason, that information instantly made me feel better. He was 20.5 inches at birth. He received an 8 out of 9 on his Apgar. I believe God works in very mysterious ways. Evan was 7lbs 7 oz at 41 weeks and a c-section because of fetal distress (and failure to descend). Luke was 7lbs 4.2oz at 38 weeks and was VBAC. I truly believe this was God’s work (as it always is…) to help me have a successful VBAC. All my prayers, the eating healthy during pregnancy, the consistent exercise – He knew it wouldn’t be for nothing. I can’t say this for a fact, but I bet my body would have had trouble delivering Luke at 40 week with a VBAC because he would have been close to 8.5-9 pounds. But like I said….I can’t say that for a fact. It is just what I choose to believe right now.

Evan adores him right now. His been to see him at the hospital twice. Each time he wants to hold him. We never had to show him – which amazes me. He automatically sticks his legs out in front and put one hand under Luke and the other on top of him. Evan was obsessed with counting his eyes, nose and mouth until we had to explain we couldn’t touch his face. Now he believes no one is allowed to touch his face! Evan’s played “Little Piggie” with his toes a bunch and given Luke’s tootsies a ton of kisses. When we ask him about Luke, he’ll just say that “It’s a baby!”. I think he’ll get the idea when we actually bring him home today. Wish us luck!

He didn’t eat much at all his first 24 hours of life. He takes after his momma in the fact that he likes to sleep. Out of his first 24 hours, I am guessing he slept about 23.5. He has picked up on nursing now. He eats for about 20 minutes at a time about every 3-4 hours at night and about 2-3 during the day. I am not going to say we are “good” at nursing right now, but I see us both getting the hang of it soon. It has made a tremendous difference for me to stay calm. The baby will eat.

We are going home today! I have more pictures on my big camera. I will download them and play around with some minor editing before posting. Hopefully I’ll have more up by the weekend.
Thank you for all the calls, text, visits, FB comments, emails and prayers. I could not be more blessed with an almighty Savior, amazing family, true friends and healthy babies. Luke and I love you and can't wait to meet the other Sweetpeas!!!

September 11th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am so happy for you that the VBAC went so well, especially with an induction!!! I'm glad Luke ended up bigger than what they were predicting!
September 11th, 2010, 11:27 AM
MariaL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so glad you got your VBAC and that Luke was a lot bigger than they thought! Congratulations!
September 12th, 2010, 05:31 AM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
i was so excited for you when i read that he was a good size.. so much less stress!!! congrates on your VBAC and your little man!
September 12th, 2010, 04:45 PM
lovely_serendipity's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Its so lovely that things went smoothly and as u wanted. Its a wonderful birth story and has given me some comfort in the idea of birth. Congrats!!!!
September 14th, 2010, 08:32 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Congrats on your VBAC -- you did it!!! Can't wait to see pics of Baby Luke!
September 14th, 2010, 10:34 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Thank you for sharing your sweet and wonderful birth story!! I'm so glad that you got your VBAC with the help of such a wonderful family, staff, and of course, God's perfect planning Luke is one lucky little boy!

September 15th, 2010, 04:59 PM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
Thanks everyone!! I love reading his story over and over even though I lived the moment. I am so glad I wrote it all out.

September 19th, 2010, 02:58 PM
C&J's Mom's Avatar Stacy
Great story, mama!! I'm so glad that things went the way you wanted them to and baby is healthy! Yay!

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search