Elisabeth Catherine's birth story :)

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2010, 06:10 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
After two trips to L&D in two weeks with bleeding and cramping AND an almost entire day of the baby refusing to wiggle (even after using every JM trick I could think of to get her to move), my stress and anxiety were through the roof. At my 38 week appointment, my doctor suggested an induction at 39 weeks -- I was a very good candidate as I was already 3 cm dilated, 100% effaced, and the baby was already incredibly low. After much discussion and thought, we decided to go in for the induction -- I know it isn't the right choice for everyone, but it was the right choice for me.

We headed to the hospital at 4 pm on Tuesday, 9/7 (I was just a few hours shy of being 39 weeks along). Shortly after our arrival, I was started on pitocin and my GBS antibiotics. I was still 3 cm at that point.

At 8:30 pm, the doctor came to break my water. Can I just say how thankful I was that my water didn't break while I was at school? I was shocked at how much came out!

By 9:30 pm, I was 5.5 cm dilated. The contractions were already painful. After consulting my options with the nurse, I decided to ask for the epidural. Just prior to getting it, I got up to go to the bathroom. I was already in intense pain. I was shaking so badly, I could barely stand up. Blood starting dripping down my leg. Paul kept asking me what he could do to help -- I told him just to stand behind me in case I fell. The epi was not as bad as I had feared -- of course, I had spent 15 years dreading this moment but it was relatively easy. It began to work within minutes and made me feel so much better -- except for the one little pocket in my left hip socket that didn't seem to respond to the meds. I spent the rest of the night feeling every single contraction, but only in that tiny area. It was enough to keep me awake for the rest of the evening.

I think I was around 7/8 cm dilated around midnight. Paul tried to get some rest. I just laid in bed trying to control my breathing as the contractions hit my left hip socket. I talked to the nurse about the pain and she said that she could call the doctor and they could try to fix it, but that it could interfere with my pushing later -- and she thought I'd be pushing in the next few hours.

At 2 am, I was 9 cm. I started feeling the intense urge to have a bowel movement. As I had been experiencing gas pains earlier in the evening, I didn't think anything of it at the time. As the pressure grew, I told the nurse and she said that my body was almost ready to push.

3 am came -- I was almost complete. There was one tiny lip of my cervix left and I needed a few more contractions to clear it up. My L&D nurse was wonderful and left to go make the final arrangements before I started pushing.

At 3:30, I couldn't wait any longer. Nurse Elizabeth let me push. All of those movies and TV shows that portray women yelling and screaming are a bunch of baloney -- I was expressly told to keep my eyes open, my face normal, and to stay quiet -- every ounce of energy needed to be focused on pushing.

At 4 am (ish) she left to go call the doctor. I pushed when I needed to, even though she wasn't at the room. I asked Paul if he'd be able to catch the baby if she popped out when Nurse Elizabeth was gone. At the time, I was genuinely worried -- now I see why the nurse wasn't.

The doctor arrived around 4:30 (ish). So did the mean and nasty nurse. Mean nurse was very curt and yelled at me throughout the next hour -- of course, Paul didn't seem to have the same impression of her that I did, so I might have been a wee bit hormonal. I pushed for a while longer. Every 10 second push seemed like an eternity. Paul kept telling me how brave and strong I was and that I was doing good. Sometime in the next 45 minutes, the doctor brought out the suction vacuum -- he explained that the baby's head was too big to fit through my narrow pelvis and if I wanted to deliver vaginally, this was the only the to do it. (Can I just say how flippin' BIG that suction cup was??? I doubted its ability to fit inside of me until the doctor pointed out that a baby was about to come out of the same area!) He tried to "pull" her out a few times and then we stopped.

He explained to me that there was no way the baby could fit through the opening. She was doing fine and I was healthy -- he told me that we had no other option than to do a c-section. He also assured me that the c-section had NOTHING to do with being induced -- after all of my decision making, it turns out the a vaginal delivery wasn't a realistic option as she was just too big to fit through the opening. By this point, I had pushed for over two hours. I hadn't slept at all. My left hip was in indescribable pain. Every push was painful and frustrating. And I was so disappointed -- even though I had contemplated a s-section a few weeks ago, I opted against it. I had worked so hard to deliver this baby, and now I was being told I couldn't. I started crying. Paul assured me that there wasn't anything I could do and that everything would be alright.

I signed the consent forms and we went to the OR. The screen went up, Paul put on scrubs, and it began. Nurse Elizabeth was technically off-duty at this point, but she came with us -- we had told her we were naming the baby Elisabeth and she wanted to meet her. I lost track of time, but they upped the level of the epi and began the surgery. After a few minutes I felt tugging -- no pain, but definitely felt the tugging. And then, she was out! She cried for a couple of minutes. Paul went with her for her tests (Apgar scores of 8, then 9) and to be cleaned off. I had a two second glance at my daughter and then I didn't see her again for a while. Nurse Elizabeth sat down on Paul's stool and held my hand -- she tried to update me and tell me what was happening with the baby -- she was so wonderful and kind to me that I started to cry.

And then, it was over. I was sewn up and wheeled to the recovery room. At that point, I finally got to meet my little girl:

Elisabeth Catherine was born at 6:57 am on Wednesday, September 8, 2010. She was 20.5 inches long and weighed in at 6 pounds, 15 ounces. We are so madly in love with her! I never imagined being able to love someone so strongly and so completely. Paul and I are truly blessed with this little Acorn.

We've decided to call her Betsy as Elisabeth Catherine is quite a long name for such a little girl! Betsy is perfect, just like she is!

Thanks for reading my daughter's birth novel!!!!!

Last edited by mrsdaiwa24; September 12th, 2010 at 06:14 PM.
September 12th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sorry you had to go through all that labor/pushing to end up with a c/s. I hope your recovery is quick. Great family picture!
September 13th, 2010, 05:25 PM
sassysarah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry you ended up with a c-section but I think Betsy is worth it. She is beautiful and so lucky to have you as a mom. Congrats!

September 13th, 2010, 07:26 PM
~SavedbyGrace~'s Avatar ~Nichole~
Aww, sounds very similar to my son's birth....it's all so worth it tho! She is beautiful and I just love her name!! So classy, and I love Betsy!

Congrats!!
September 13th, 2010, 09:36 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Thanks for sharing your birth story, Amy! I'm sorry you ended up with a c-section after all that work, but Betsy is just perfect and precious and gorgeous!! And I adore her name

September 14th, 2010, 08:50 AM
~Constance~
It does stink when you put in all that work only to end up with a c/s! But at least your baby arrived safe and sound! Congrats again!
September 15th, 2010, 11:10 AM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
Amy, girl, you could have JUST written my exact birth story with my first DS! I know and understand how frustrating it is to put forth all that effort and then end up with a section. Rationally, later (like now) you understand it was for the safety of you and precious B, but in the moment, it is so disappointing.
I will tell you this. TAKE TIME TO HEAL! You didn't just go through a c-section. You went through labor almost in its entirety and then were dealt major surgery on top of that. Your recovery will take a little longer and you need to not worry about having others do most everything for you. The longer you let your body recover and rest, the better it will be in the long run. I PROMISE! I tried to do too much too soon after Evan and was put in the bed for a couple of days.

She looks sooo much like you! I am misty just looking at that amazing family picture. How blessed you guys are!

September 16th, 2010, 03:40 PM
lovely_serendipity's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

I'm sorry u went through all that and ended up with a csec...this is my fear too but its wonderful that u are both happy and healthy!!!

She is beautiful!!!
September 18th, 2010, 11:39 PM
amonstersmomma's Avatar Coetta Dawn
You Betsy and Paul are such a beautiful little family
I'm sorry about all that pushing ending in a csection that must have been so insanely frustrating but the end result is gorgeous!

September 19th, 2010, 02:43 PM
C&J's Mom's Avatar Stacy
She is beautiful, Amy! I'm sorry you ended up having a c/s after all of that, but your tiny little one is perfect and healthy! Hope your recovery is smooth and easy. Take it easy!

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search