Breastfeeding Mommies! How is it going?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 13th, 2010, 07:03 AM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Has your sweetpea had any problems latching?
No

It is still really painful?
Not really painful but some pain when she first latches on. It's getting better, I think.

Are you having any other problems/issues?
Nope!

How often does your baby feed?
Every 2-3 hours usually. She did go a 4 hour stretch from 4 am to 8 am though.

Do you ever worry that baby isn't getting enough milk?
No, especially after the huge poops yesterday!

Do you keep count of baby's wet/dirty diapers to make sure she is getting enough milk?
Not really. I know what's normal and don't feel the need to keep count.

Did you see a lactation consultant at the hospital?
No

September 13th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Veteran
Has your sweetpea had any problems latching? some problems at the hospital

It is still really painful? never was painful

Are you having any other problems/issues? no

How often does your baby feed? every 2-4 hours depending on the time of day/night

Do you ever worry that baby isn't getting enough milk? no, at two weeks both babies were 8 oz above birth weight

Do you keep count of baby's wet/dirty diapers to make sure she is getting enough milk? yes

Did you see a lactation consultant at the hospital? yes and please do this if you need it
September 13th, 2010, 07:32 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Has your sweetpea had any problems latching? Not a problem at all! He latched on right away and because of his determination to get as much colostrum as possible, my uterus shrunk pretty quickly (BF really triggers it), I'm not bleeding much (which surprised the nurses cuz they said red heads are prone to hemmoraging) and my milk came in only 2 days after he was born

It is still really painful? Not at all! Once in a while, he won't latch on right and I really feel it, correct his latch and then he's just eating away.

Are you having any other problems/issues? Zero...

How often does your baby feed? At night, every 2-3 hours. In the day, about the same, but he may "snack" for a few short minutes a bit more too.

Do you ever worry that baby isn't getting enough milk? Nope. He seems satisfied and is very laid back and today's his weigh in, so we'll see if he's gained weight this past week.

Do you keep count of baby's wet/dirty diapers to make sure she is getting enough milk? I did, but not any more. He's SURELY fulfilling his quota. I swear we go through a dozen diapers or more in a day, and I'm not catching EVERY single time he goes, either!

Did you see a lactation consultant at the hospital? I was planning on it if he didn't latch right away, but he did, so I did not see anyone.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
September 13th, 2010, 08:34 AM
amymgem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Has your sweetpea had any problems latching? Not until a few days ago when she suddenly "forgot" how to latch on. I think I waited too long to feed her, she got over hungry, and had a hard time finding her way. Only happened at one feeding, but it was very stressful!

It is still really painful? I always have a little pinch when she latches on, but then it's gone.

Are you having any other problems/issues? I think she had a growth spurt recently which was a little rough and demanding on me. Was hard to distinguish if it was true hunger or something else, but it went away after a few days so I assume it was a growth spurt.

How often does your baby feed? Every 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours.

Do you ever worry that baby isn't getting enough milk? No-she went back up to her birth weight in no time and we're changing diapers very frequently.

Do you keep count of baby's wet/dirty diapers to make sure she is getting enough milk? Not anymore, but we were at first because she was a little jaundiced and the pediatrician and nurses were always asking us this question.

Did you see a lactation consultant at the hospital? Yes. I had very sore nipples at first and wanted to make sure she was latching on correctly. She was, but I guess getting sore nipples is very common at first while your breasts are acclimating to the change.
September 13th, 2010, 08:39 AM
~Constance~

Nope. She didn't like the engorgement day though.

No. The blisters stopped hurting by the 1 week mark.

Not yet.

Every two hours.

Not yet.

Do you keep count of baby's wet/dirty diapers to make sure she is getting enough milk?

No.

No. This is my third nursed baby.
September 13th, 2010, 08:54 AM
SSgt_Wifey_USMC
Has your sweetpea had any problems latching? No

It is still really painful? No never was, if Breastfeeding is painful, you are doing something wrong.Breastfeeding shouldn't hurt.

Are you having any other problems/issues? ummm..idk considered a problem but all i gotta share is cluster feeding stinks.

How often does your baby feed? usually every 2 hrs but sometimes can be under that, which is still good.

Do you ever worry that baby isn't getting enough milk? yes to be honest, only because i have a chunker on my hands. lol

Do you keep count of baby's wet/dirty diapers to make sure she is getting enough milk? honestly no although i should its just i have no time to chart things with 2 kiddos.

Did you see a lactation consultant at the hospital? no

P.S.
Sorry if my response doesn't make sense, sleep has not been much of a option for me LOL

Last edited by SSgt_Wifey_USMC; September 13th, 2010 at 09:01 AM.
September 13th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Renwick2002's Avatar Veteran
Just wanted to throw out a little piece of advice that has worked for me. This is for us large breasted women by the way!

If you roll up a receiving blanket and place it under your breast it supports the weight of your breast and makes latching on much easier for baby. I often use a pillow for baby and a receiving blanket under the boobage and nursing has become so much easier!
September 13th, 2010, 09:58 AM
klsfl10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm doing a combo of pumping and formula feeding. I'd planned to exclusively pump but since I started doing it several days after delivery due to my complications I'm not pumping anywhere near enough to feed him. But I'm happy with the supplementation. I pump 3-4 times a day and get varying amounts anywhere from 30-70 cc's each time and then use either that or formula. He's eating a TON but the doctor told us to let him stop himself so its a good thing I'm doing both b/c no way could I pump 90 cc's every 4 hours which he'll do about once a day. I don't have any pain with the pumping and I just started using nipple cream a couple days ago. I think the hospital grade pump rental makes all the difference from what I've heard.

We did see the lactation consultant in the hospital and I loved them. They were very supportive of the fact that I had to supplement and that I still wanted him to get as much milk as he could. They researched all the meds that the doctors put me on to make sure that everything was ok for the baby, even my migraine pills, and printed me copies of the articles.

September 13th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Keep up the great work ladies!
September 13th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Meggie26's Avatar Megan
Send a message via MSN to Meggie26
** None at all

** Just a few seconds when he first latches on, but over time it gets better.

** Not really. Just trying to keep him awake long enough to fill up.

** Usually about every two hours, but sometimes more often.

** Oh no. Hes getting plenty!!

** Hes going through plenty of diapers.

** No. I breastfed my daughter, so it was still kinda fresh in my head

September 13th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Daphinae's Avatar Sande
Nope

Him latching on isn't painful, but the letdown on the OTHER breast (the side he isn't on) feels like red hot needles. It only takes maybe 10 seconds and it's gone, but oh man ouch.

That forceful letdown sort of floods him and he'll choke. So the first couple minutes are fine, but then he's got everything flowing and it's way too much at once! We've been trying to do the upright football hold, and mostly side-lying, so then the extra milk just dribbles back out, and not to the back of his throat. So that's going better. I might have to try that rolled up towel thing though.

Every 2-3 hours. He's getting so that he's doing more 3 hour segments at night. Yay for sleep!

No, he's a little porker. He gets this fat little round belly that makes me just laugh.

I did religiously with Finn, but this time knowing a bit more of what's normal, then I just keep it in mind.

I talked to one before we left, just to make sure there wasn't anything I was forgetting. I was worried that Roan hadn't started eating yet and they were sending us home. And since we got sent BACK to the hospital, I sort of think they should of kept us UNTIL he started eating because then they would of caught the jaundice sooner, but that's completely behind us now anyway.

September 13th, 2010, 11:51 AM
JennaBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Has your sweetpea had any problems latching? Not initially but she can get 'sidetracked' and need to be re-adjusted

It is still really painful? The first few seconds. And as long as she latches well and doesn't get lazy and slips off to the end of my nipple, ouch! I also have very forceful painful letdowns, always have. Warm compresses help

Are you having any other problems/issues? engorgement has been an issue for us, my milk came in after only 24 hours and she would get flooded. I also have more milk than needed so sometimes I have to hand express a bit to get the breast soft enough to allow for a proper latch

How often does your baby feed? Every 2-3 hours

Do you ever worry that baby isn't getting enough milk? Not at all, I seem to have the opposite problem and have too much of it!

Do you keep count of baby's wet/dirty diapers to make sure she is getting enough milk? Yes, I will until her EDD just because she was early and small the pediatricians like to see us track it while they track her growth.

Did you see a lactation consultant at the hospital?Yes, it's protocol to meet with them before you get discharged. Since I started out with nipple shields with DD1 starting out au natural with this princess has been a very different experience and she had a lot of awesome suggestions. And to be honest it's way nicer to have a conversation with a human being than trying to decipher the best advice online lol

I will also have to try the under boob roll

Oooh and for those that find the gellies too expensive and want some nice cooling relief I've taken to wetting the baby face cloths in water and freezing them in a sandwich bag. They provide some AWESOME cooling relief and you can buy a package of 4 cheepie wash cloths at the dollar store or walmart
September 13th, 2010, 12:10 PM
sassysarah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Has your sweetpea had any problems latching? Some, she doesn't like to open her mouth all the way so sometimes she just grabs for the nipple.

It is still really painful? Just when she first latches on.

Are you having any other problems/issues? Not really things are going much better for me this time around.

How often does your baby feed? I try to get her to eat every 2-3 hours but during the day she doesn't always want to wake up that often to eat. At night she eats more frequently.

Do you ever worry that baby isn't getting enough milk? nope

Do you keep count of baby's wet/dirty diapers to make sure she is getting enough milk? Yes and I keep track of how long she feeds and which side. I'm anal that way.

Did you see a lactation consultant at the hospital? Yes I saw her the first day and she was very helpful.

September 13th, 2010, 12:11 PM
VeronicaBride's Avatar Jen
Has your sweetpea had any problems latching? Yes he had some issues at the hospital and every once in a while seems to revert back. At first, he was only able to nurse from my left breast if I had a nipple shield. We worked really hard to wean off that as quickly as possible. If I am engorged he still has trouble latching so we just try to feed often or pump a little first if I am engorged to avoid this.

It is still really painful?No. It was extremely painful at first. Because he had so much trouble latching the first couple days, my nipples were cracked and really sore. It took about a week for my nipples to fully heal. Now I feel a pinch for a second when he latches but that's all.

Are you having any other problems/issues? The first week I was also having painful contraction like feelings when I was nursing. I understand this is my uterus contracting but it was much more painful this time then with DD. I also bled a lot whenever he nursed as well. I am still bleeding but no nearly as much.

How often does your baby feed? He feeds every 2-3 hours in the day and 3-4 hours in the night. Sometimes more often in the day. He might do a shorter feeding, fall asleep and then want to eat again in an hour. During the day I am okay with this cause it keeps me from getting engorged as well.

Do you ever worry that baby isn't getting enough milk? Nope, he has plenty of wet and dirty diapers (seems like we go through soooo many diapers). He gained enough weight at the one week appt. We have the 2 week appt tomorrow so I guess that will tell us more

Do you keep count of baby's wet/dirty diapers to make sure she is getting enough milk? Nope. With DD we kept track on a chart but this time we just know there are so many of both wet and dirty. If they were to slow down then I would keep track but not so far.

Did you see a lactation consultant at the hospital? I discussed his latching problems with a few of the nurses at the hospital and did lots of research online. I have a whole list of people to contact now if need be but we seem to have gotten on track

September 13th, 2010, 12:43 PM
The Heather's Avatar Jedi Master of Piffleness
Has your sweetpea had any problems latching? No

It is still really painful? Not really, unless he starts falling asleep and slowly slips off

Are you having any other problems/issues? He has reflux which has been difficult

How often does your baby feed? Usually every 3 hours

Do you ever worry that baby isn't getting enough milk? Nope

Do you keep count of baby's wet/dirty diapers to make sure she is getting enough milk? No, but I should because I never really know when the pedi asks, but I know it is normal

Did you see a lactation consultant at the hospital? Not this time, but I did with my DD

September 13th, 2010, 01:32 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Has your sweetpea had any problems latching? The first couple of days, yes. But now we're not having any problems.

It is still really painful? Only in the first few seconds and then it's alright.

Are you having any other problems/issues? She won't eat for more than 15 minutes -- and it's rare for her to go that long. Usually, she's only there for about 10 minutes. I burp her and offer her the other breast, but she's fallen asleep.

How often does your baby feed? Because she's only eating for 10 - 12 minutes at a time, she's eating more frequently. She's also getting more and more hungry. She's feeding every 45 - 90 minutes.

Do you ever worry that baby isn't getting enough milk? Part of me is, but she's meeting her wet/dirty diaper goals, so I guess she's getting enough. We'll find out at tomorrow's appointment when they weigh her.

Do you keep count of baby's wet/dirty diapers to make sure she is getting enough milk? Yes, but it's hard and I'm sure I'm missing some.

Did you see a lactation consultant at the hospital? Yes and it helped. I also had no reservations calling the nurses in the middle of the night to come and help me. My biggest issue with asking for help is that everyone seems to tell me different things, so I guess I need to figure out what works best for us.
September 13th, 2010, 01:56 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Unfort it didn't last Kaylee's latch and such were not good - and she didn't have a strong enough suck to get milk....i was pumping but it didn't keep my supply up...and i am pretty much dry now . I also got a small infection at which point the hubby and i decided we really needed to move over to formula -with my lupus even a small infection can cause a lot of problems for me. I'm really bummed but i know Kaylee is eating what she needs now to be strong and gain weight.

Keep up the great work for all the mommies BF - and if it doesnt' work out or you can't don't feel horrible about it - what's important is that baby is getting fed!
September 13th, 2010, 02:32 PM
ScottishBrit's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ScottishBrit
Has your sweetpea had any problems latching? Yes I have to use a shield but had to with Cambria too.

It is still really painful? Yes because he bites down ALL the time.

Are you having any other problems/issues? nope.

How often does your baby feed? day every 2 hours at night all he wants to do is sleep! He slept 6 hours last night ate 15 mins and then back to sleep for 4 hours.

Do you ever worry that baby isn't getting enough milk? Nope.

Do you keep count of baby's wet/dirty diapers to make sure she is getting enough milk? No he tends to have very heavy wet diaper's.

Did you see a lactation consultant at the hospital? Yes
September 13th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Frangipani's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Has your sweetpea had any problems latching? Not now so much, but in the hospital, definitely at first. I had no idea what I was doing, to be honest.

It is still really painful? Thankfully, no. It just hurts a little when he first latches but then it's fine.

Are you having any other problems/issues? I'm having a hard time getting my supply up enough to pump and breastfeed. I need to have a supply on hand for when I go back to work and am barely at 1.5 oz. It's frustrating me.

How often does your baby feed? I think he is having a growth spurt or something right now but I try to have him feed every 2.5-3 hours during the day. I was doing the same at night b/c his weight was so low that the doc was really pushing me to get him to gain. Now that he's a little heavier (still under 7 pounds but he's almost there), I'm trying to let him go a little longer at night (the lactation consultant said he can go 5 hours at night but really he is waking himself up around 2.5-3 hours again these last 2 nights. He was going almost 4 hours until 2 days ago).

Do you ever worry that baby isn't getting enough milk? Constantly. With him being so tiny, I really worry that he's not getting the hind milk to fatten him up. I think that if I can just get him up to say, 8 pounds, I will feel less worried about it.

Do you keep count of baby's wet/dirty diapers to make sure she is getting enough milk? Absolutely. Plus, the pediatrician asks me every time so I keep track of it for that reason as well.

Did you see a lactation consultant at the hospital? Yes and man, I can't recommend them more. The first one who came to see me was AWESOME. She spent a good hour with me, helping me to get Rowan to latch on correctly, showing me the holds, showing me how to know if he was actually swallowing. She even came back later with the 'shells' to help get my nipples so he could latch better. Then, later on that night, she came back to check on me to see how I was getting along. I seriously felt like her help was worth its weight in gold and even wrote a letter to the hospital to tell them how great she was.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search