Is this normal? A few questions for those that have had their baby

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 13th, 2010, 04:51 PM
erinelizabeth83's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How often does your baby spit up?

Does your LO have gas that seems to make them miserable for hours a day?

When sleeping does your LO make a lot of noise? I'm talking almost constant grunting, whimpering, fussing.

The only newborns I have really spent any significant amount of time around are mine so I'm not sure what's normal for a newborn and what's not. Elijah had lots of digestive issues as a baby. Spitting up constantly, painful gas, and he always grunted in his sleep like he just couldn't get comforable or was in pain or something. It wasn't until he was 4 months old that I discovered he has a severe allergy to dairy. By that point he was miserable all the time and was refusing to nurse. I've always felt guilty that I was pretty much poisoning my son (although I didn't know it) for the first months of his life and he suffered through a lot of discomfort and pain.

Well now Lilliana is showing a lot of the same symptoms that Eli did. She didn't have any issues at first but around day 10 or so she started spitting up a lot, getting really gassy and grunting and whimpering in her sleep. Her pediatrician started her on reflux meds because of all the spitting up but they don't seem to be helping. Earlier today she spit up 5 times in an hour after eating.

I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid and she's just having normal newborn digestive issues or if it's not normal for them to be so uncomfortable. I figured who better to ask what's normal for a newborn than a bunch of ladies with newborns.

September 13th, 2010, 05:04 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Oh, sweetie! I wish I could provide some comfort... I think these are all normal, but not in extremes. Maybe a little bit...like Kellen will spit up just a little tiny bit maybe up to 2x in the 1/2 hour after eating, and he'll grunt a little when he's ready to poop or if he needs burping, but he never seems to do it for long at all, like maybe 30 seconds or a minute or so til the deed is done... He does need burping after every longer meal (8+ min) but not after his 2-4 min "snacks" She doesn't really whimper or grunt in her sleep (unless she's ready to poop in her sleep, and even then it's not often).

I hope it's not the same (or the extremes) that Eli has as far as allergies go, but since you've been down this road before, you can start all the testing first and see if you can help her out sooner.

I hope it gets better for you both!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
September 13th, 2010, 05:08 PM
mamato4boys's Avatar Daleen
I had a lot of issues with my first baby spitting up, when the twins were born I got mylicon drops to help with the gas and am using it now with my LO. I find that he sleeps really well , right now he sleeps from 7pm till about 4am and does not spit up as long as I burp him every ounce of feeding. Make sure your LO burps if a air bubble is stuck and you feed more on top of it everything will come back up!!! Also try feeding her in a relatively upright position if you can , it might help with the gas. HTH.

THANK YOU BAM FOR MY AWESOME SIGGY
Always Remembering Otis, Evan Navarro, Riley, and Patrick
~September 2010 DDC's Perfect Angels~
September 13th, 2010, 05:10 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My DS had the same issues and was on reflux meds as well - he would actually throw up and entire bottle. Kayle is suuuuuuper gassy - shes almost always farting, burping or grunting hang in there!
September 13th, 2010, 05:16 PM
sassysarah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How often does your baby spit up? almost never and when she does it's just a tiny bit.

Does your LO have gas that seems to make them miserable for hours a day? No gas problems here but my son had gas all the time and we used mylicon drops after every meal.

When sleeping does your LO make a lot of noise? I'm talking almost constant grunting, whimpering, fussing. No just some squeaking noises when she is starting to wake up.

To me it sounds like Liliana might have some food allergies or something that is making her not feel very well. Are you breastfeeding or formula feeding? Maybe something you are eating or something in the formula is bothering her. I hope whatever it is you find out a way to make her feel better.

September 13th, 2010, 05:27 PM
The Heather's Avatar Jedi Master of Piffleness
Chase spits up a lot too and we have discussed reflux medication, but right now we are trying to avoid the medication. I would ask your pedi if the medication doesn't seem to be helping because that may be an indication that it is something more than reflux. Good luck!

September 13th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would ask the doctor. Michael spits up a lot but not after every meal. He did it at the dr. Appt, and she pointed it out to us and told us to watch for it and let her know if he does it a lot.

I hope it gets better for you.

September 13th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Daphinae's Avatar Sande
Roan does fine on the spit up part, but he's pretty gassy! and Noisy! he is also constantly grunting, even when he doesn't fart/poop. The mylicon does seem to help him though.

September 14th, 2010, 05:49 AM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
She has spit up a couple of times but nothing major. She seems to be a bit gassy but it doesn't bother her too much. One thing I do want to say is that I started taking acidophilus after Jordan was born, and I still take it, because I started having all kinds of tummy issues when I was pregnant with him. And so far, Jordan and Rayne have been our easiest, happiest babies. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search