I'm being attacked during diaper changes!

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 15th, 2010, 04:12 AM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Betsy FREAKS out during diaper changes -- she gets hysterical and she kicks like she's trying out for the Rockettes. Oddly enough, she only does this AFTER the dirty diaper has been removed and I'm trying to clean her bum and put the new diaper on. Right now we're still using newborn sposie diapers, but the plan is to switch over to the CDs in the next week or so -- which will be super fun to change her into as they involve more parts.

Any advice to get my daughter to stop kicking and thrashing like she is? Thanks!
September 15th, 2010, 04:31 AM
The Heather's Avatar Jedi Master of Piffleness
I don't really have an advice except that you will start to get the hang of it. Chase doesn't like diaper changes either and kicks and screams during them too. Just make sure she isn't getting a diaper rash. If she is only upset during the wiping part, she may have a little diaper rash that is uncomfortable for her.

September 15th, 2010, 05:11 AM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
no advice just letting you know you are not alone!!!
September 15th, 2010, 05:30 AM
klsfl10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm the same boat. Logan pulls his little feet in close to his weewee so I can't clean it and then kicks at me if I try. He can actually wedge his foot in so that he can push your hand away . And we have to put Vaseline/gauze on the circ site as well as manage to swab the umbilical cord area w/alcohol during each change. I'm curious what advice ppl have also...

September 15th, 2010, 05:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think she does not like cold wipes. Do you have a wipe warmer. I have the same problem. Milan hates to have his diaper changes because wipes are cold and I am now using a warm wash cloth to clean him. I hope this helps

Thanks Claire1979 for my awesome siggy.
September 15th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Chances are she just doesn't like the coldness of being exposed. They are used to being warm and cozy in our tummies, then they come out and it's all different. The only advice is to try and remain calm and prep everything you need ahead of time. You'll get faster with diaper changes.....and then just when you have it down perfectly, they turn into squirming toddlers.
September 15th, 2010, 06:49 AM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
Attack of the cute baby over here too! Luke does the same thing and putting the ointment on his circ has proven difficult. We ended up getting on his legs, belly, etc. Hopefully some is at least rubbing off on his little wee wee.

Last edited by RunningWithBoys; September 15th, 2010 at 07:58 AM.
September 15th, 2010, 07:34 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I agree.. They really don't like 1. being exposed and 2. any cool temps I find that if I nurse while changing, it can help soothe him (that's a real skill! ) but then I run into other issues: He pees on me and if I don't catch it fast enough, he can even poop in the middle of diaper changes, and being "one handed" cuz of nursing too, I don't have the reflexes fast enough to get a diaper under there... needless to say, I've gone through a couple pairs of pants

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
September 15th, 2010, 07:58 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
I'll have to agree with everyone else, it's probably just the coolness of the air and the wipes. Maybe try a wipe warmer if you want to invest the money? (Or look on craigslist, I bet you could find a used one pretty cheap) And you can always put something over her as you get the first diaper off but before you get the new one on (baby washcloths work great for this, or prefolds, plus, it eliminates the risk of getting peed on ).

September 15th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Lauraubie's Avatar Super Mommy
Same as everyone else. I have thought about a wipes warmer too but my concern is that she will get too used to warm wipes and it will make things difficult when we are away from home. IDK if that is a valid concern though. So for now I am just trying to go faster and as a couple people mentioned having everything as ready as I can and then taking off the soiled diaper. Also Gabby is almost 2 weeks old and either I have gotten faster or she is getting more used to it because I am getting kicked less and she is crying less everyday.

When they are a little bigger you will be able to distract them or have them hold something that might help.

Custom Photo Cards & Invitations ~ Peek at my Website ~ Like me on Facebook
September 15th, 2010, 08:31 AM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yeppers - DD freaks out too from the exposure and cold wipes - you do get the hang of the wiggles tho
September 15th, 2010, 09:47 AM
sassysarah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry I don't have any advice because we have the same issues. Rachel hates diaper changes so I just try to warm up the wipe in my hand first and have everything all ready before I take off her dirty diaper. We had the same issues with my son and it does get easier with time.

September 15th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Frangipani's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Same problem here. When my mom came to visit, she suggested taking a burp cloth and wrapping it around the top of his body so it holds his arms in like he's sort of swaddled. That actually does seem to help a lot to calm him down-until he manages to get an arm free then all hell breaks loose again!

The best thing I've been able to do is have DH help me so he's holding Rowan's arms and talking to him while I change him or vice versa. Unfortunately, we're just not always both around!
September 15th, 2010, 01:17 PM
dani.'s Avatar [ missing my soldier ]
Try taking the clean diaper, unwrapping it and putting it under the diaper she's wearing. Quickly remove the dirty, then secure the clean. Dash doesn't like diaper changes either, but it's because of the coldness. He likes to be nice and snug.

mommy to
dakota [05.03.06] & dash [08.24.10]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search